Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEWBIE: Getting Started with a Track Pump...

• 04-09-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I have been using a track pump (BBB Airstorm) to pump up the tyres (700/23) on my Trek 1.5. Years ago when I cycled I only ever used a hand-pump with no gauge.

Here is the process I follow, along with a few questions:

1) Remove dust cap, unscrew valve all the way, and press quickly once to release some air pressure (seen this in some YouTube videos).
    2) Connect pump to valve (pump handle in down position)
    3) Start pumping to desired level (gauge does not show pressure until I start pumping, I assume this is correct/normal?)
    4) Release pump connector from valve and remove

Now when I release the pump connector from the valve one of two things has happened me:

1) It sometimes does not cleanly come off and as a result air is escaping as panic ensues while I try to pull it off.
    2) It does come cleanly off, however air still escapes from the valve for a couple of seconds and then stops. Is this some overflow mechanism or a soon to be dodgy value?

Also when I asked about tyre pressure when I purchased the bike I was told I could put up to 120psi in my tyres however upon inspection of the tyre wall it states 80-115psi, so I have only been pumping to around 115psi and ignoring what I was told in the shop.

I appreciate any tips, advice or feedback on what I may be doing wrong if anything. :confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In (2) the air is coming from the pump hose, not the tube. If you think about all the air under pressure in the hose, obviously this is going to come out when you remove the pump head.

It is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Pressure depends on rider weight and tyre width. I am 78kg and go 110 rear 100 front on 700x23s. You need more pressure in the rear as it carries more weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

what you qew doing is fine.

Only thing I do differently from you is I don't unscrew the wee valve thingy all the way. I would only open it half way, or the minimum amount to let air from the pump in. This migitigates bending or breaking the wee valve thingy off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

blorg wrote: »
    In (2) the air is coming from the pump hose, not the tube. If you think about all the air under pressure in the hose, obviously this is going to come out when you remove the pump head.

It is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

The air is actually coming out of the valve and not the pump hose. It seems like I have over inflated by a few psi and the valve is automatically releasing that excess air. Would that be the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Since someone is already asking these types of questions I have one...

I have a Joe Blow Sport floor pump as seen here...
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowSport

This has a twin head attachment which is Schrader on one side and Presta on the other. It's worked perfectly on my Presta valves for ages but recently I had cause to use some Schrader valves and it gave a lot of problems. Basically it takes a few seconds to attach the head and move the lever to the lock position (which seals everything) and while I'm doing that air is gushing from the tyre out the Presta end of the head. This makes it impossible to just top up the tyre or check the pressure, I am always inflating from completely flat.

Is this a design problem or user error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

To the op...

It's normal for there to a very short burst of air released when you remove the pump head. This is generally a fraction of a second though, not a couple of seconds. I usually move the lever to unlock the pump head and then pull the head off the valve in one motion. If air is still coming out after the pump head is clear it seems to me that there is a problem with your tube.

• Advertisement
Advertisement