Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we need in Clare

• 04-09-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

As I was awoken in a half drunken this morning by my son tapping me on my head ordering me to feed him, I realised something.

We have six pizza places in Ennis and not one does 24/7 delivery. Tis why I thought I would create this thread. When I lived in NYC there were dozens of pizza places that were open 24/7, not to mention delis, chinese, and of course another favourite of mine sushi bars that offered delivery service.

Clare (Ennis particularly) I think could use a nice 24 hour restaurant, one with a delivery service.

Alas, I shall be pining away for an extra large pepperoni, anchovy, and caper pizza till 5 PM now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A real regional hospital that offers 24 hour A&E would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

An Airport would be nice, oh wait

A good rail service, oh wait

Decent road links to drag the tourists in?

Perhaps with these three, we might get 24 hour pizza delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

what we need is drivers who know how to drive and use indicators. Too many times i've nearly been hit(walking and driving) by people who cant use a fecking indicator.

The University of Clare and Limerick has a nice ring to it :D

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The University of Clare and Limerick has a nice ring to it :D

As opposed to Clare Limerick Institute of Technology.

• Advertisement

mrsoundie wrote: »
    As opposed to Clare Limerick Institute of Technology.
    I'm not fussy, any third level institution would be very nice but it will never happen now. I often thought that the old "Our Lady's Hospital" site would have been a great location for a college or a new hospital for that matter.

A few tasty hurlers or footballers would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Clare Limerick Institute of Technology

Bravo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Clare Limerick Institute of Technology

Bravo! :D

Could hook up with the

Tipperary Institute of Technology

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

mrsoundie wrote: »
    A few tasty hurlers or footballers would be good
    I dunno about tasty.But ones that could win Championship matches.That'd do for me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

CptSternn wrote: »
    As I was awoken in a half drunken this morning by my son tapping me on my head ordering me to feed him, I realised something.

We have six pizza places in Ennis and not one does 24/7 delivery. Tis why I thought I would create this thread. When I lived in NYC there were dozens of pizza places that were open 24/7, not to mention delis, chinese, and of course another favourite of mine sushi bars that offered delivery service.

Clare (Ennis particularly) I think could use a nice 24 hour restaurant, one with a delivery service.

Alas, I shall be pining away for an extra large pepperoni, anchovy, and caper pizza till 5 PM now.

Being drunk in charge of kids isn't amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

lol, harsh.

I think a 24 hour pizza place outside of Dublin is a little ambitious. Subway don't even open late any more due to lack of late night custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not even Limerick has a 24 takeaway! Think Supermacs on O'Connell Street is 21hr :P

Limerick to Ennis rail line could do with being double tracked or at least have some passing loops to deliver a better service instead of the one train going back and forth all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

CptSternn wrote: »
    When I lived in NYC there were dozens of pizza places that were open 24/7, not to mention delis, chinese, and of course another favourite of mine sushi bars that offered delivery service.

As others pointed out, more or less, Ennis isn't exactly NYC, that is not enough people around, especially not at night. It doesn't make business sense to have a 24/7 pizza place in a small town in the west of recession Ireland.

But for your next boozing weekend I recommend to buy a stash of the Milano pizzas at Tesco's (or any other pizza you like), put them in the freezer and, if in need, in the microwave or oven. Voilà! You don't even need to call a pizza service!

As for things what Clare needs...
    Where to start?

Basically everything a big city has, without the big city.;)
    For me that's culture like an opera house, a theatre, a concert hall (yes, I'm a classic fan...) and proper arts exhibitions. Not that half-baked stuff they offer in Glor.

Tourist sites which are developed for tourists to enjoy not for being ripped off. And make hence more money in the long run.

A market with more choice, not just forty shades of carrots.
    A pedestrianised "inner city" (obviously in Parnell and O'Connell Street and arounds in Ennis).
    Oh, and Sushi Bars!

A proper hospital and health service.
    Affordable dentists.
    A dog pound which actually cares about dogs.
    Schools which are not run by the church but educate kids to use their brains.

A council made up of people with brains and a vision.

Well, a girl can dream...:D

Otherwise I enjoy living here.

Carry - I love your list!

I think you will need to write to this guy

saville-two.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If there's one thing the country lacks it's an ice hockey arena
    Only one I know of is in Belfast

You could have regional teams, it could be main venue for Ireland
    And the locals could have underage teams like they do in GAA.
    Could get money from RTÉ to show the games

The best squad could play with Belfast and the other teams in the UK in the league.

And it'd be open for the locals, bring someone on a date, bring the kids on a Sunday and so on.

If you wanted figure skating a tutor and classes could be setup.
    There will be something organized every day

If I were a millionaire and willing to take a risk I would give this a go
    There's a gap in Ireland. Not even Dublin has this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Carry wrote: »
    A council made up of people with brains and a vision.

:P hahahahahahaha best lol of the thread, unfortunately it will never happen most councillors live in some sort of gravy train parallel universe.

+1 on the sushi but alas i don't know if Ennis would support it. I know of 2 that opened in limerick that went bust in the last few years.

Population.... its all about population density and Ennis just doesn't have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Good weather :)

The fishing and boat hire from Kilrush and Kilkee could be advertised far better

It's something great for a stag group, even attracting people from abroad and getting money into the locality

And Irish people would do it too, I loved it :)

But not many people know about it......

Not sure who handles this for the Mid West but could be done better, it's something Clare has the rest of Mid West doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

mikemac wrote: »
    If there's one thing the country lacks it's an ice hockey arena
    Only one I know of is in Belfast

You could have regional teams, it could be main venue for Ireland
    And the locals could have underage teams like they do in GAA.
    Could get money from RTÉ to show the games

The best squad could play with Belfast and the other teams in the UK in the league.

And it'd be open for the locals, bring someone on a date, bring the kids on a Sunday and so on.

If you wanted figure skating a tutor and classes could be setup.
    There will be something organized every day

If I were a millionaire and willing to take a risk I would give this a go
    There's a gap in Ireland. Not even Dublin has this

The GAA might be doing something like this if they there was a purpose built Ice Hockey rink/arena was built in Clare
    father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg?w=477

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

An arcade that doesn't suck. Again, probably only viable in a place with higher population density and if we turned the clock back 25 years.

Ennis Leisureplex just got their first new game in about 8 years and it's probably the worst racer of all time.

Why would the GAA object to a ice hockey area?

Could even use it for cross training, work on the auld shoulder jostle and nasty tackles that ice hockey is known for
    Ollie Baker can be trainer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

mikemac wrote: »
    Why would the GAA object to a ice hockey area?

Could even use it for cross training, work on the auld shoulder jostle and nasty tackles that ice hockey is known for
    Ollie Baker can be trainer ;)

They might see the sport as a threat...come on, my local GAA club doesn't have a Gaelic Football team and object to having one on the grounds that it will distract from the hurling. As a result there are local lads playing hurling for their club but playing football with the neighbouring club 5 miles away.

I think hurling is a fantastic game to watch but the petty stuff that goes on in the club game is tiresome.

Anyway, ice-hockey is ghey, what with all the padding and protection ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Most GAA pitches were Ice hockey rinks for three months last year!

Now they are paddy fields!
    The GAA might be doing something like this if they there was a purpose built Ice Hockey rink/arena was built in Clare
    father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg?w=477

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clare needs Tourist Trails...for Cars.

8 - 10 Loops with driving routes. Loaded it with places of interest listed, say 20 places to stop on each run if you wanted to.

Something like the ETAP hiberia route with all the places of interested listed...

We don't make use of half of what we have got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Anyway, ice-hockey is ghey, what with all the padding and protection ;)

Hockey is awesome. I have been playing since I was old enough to remember. I played for my uni sure.

It's the only sport where you can take off your helmet and gloves and bare knuckle box and they won't stop you. In fact, when it does finish (when ye hit the ground) the worst you get is they send you off to sit down for two minutes and drink some gatorade.

That being said my team was kicked out of the league two years in a row for extreme conduct. Our goalie knocked out a ref one year and the next we led the league in penalty minutes to the point they voted to bar us from the league for two years.

Our motto was if we can't beat em, we will beat em.

People used to say they thought they were at a boxing match and then a hockey game broke out.

I like hurling and football, but you just don't get the same level of fist contact there sure. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

more shops to open before 10am on a weekday morning and stay open until AT LEAST 6pm.

My kids are both in national school now and I though I would go straight into town to do a few errands after dropping them off but alas I had to indulge in a cuppa in Dunnes while 3 out of the 4 places I needed to go opened.

And on another day, I was leaving town on a beautiful Saturday evening at 5pm during the Fleadh Nua festival and a lot of the shops I passed were already closed!!! The town was packed with people walking around! That's the day I lost all sympathy for the town's small retailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

A hmv shop would be nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Ennis badly needs a town bus service. It has been tried before but the services did not last too long. If there were proper bus stops with shelters, the service could work. It would have to be organised in a business like manner. Many other towns similar in size to Ennis have town bus services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Carry wrote: »

But for your next boozing weekend I recommend to buy a stash of the Milano pizzas at Tesco's (or any other pizza you like), put them in the freezer and, if in need, in the microwave or oven. Voilà! You don't even need to call a pizza service!.

ah! but what about the taste? if you're a pizza lover like me? I had a local "Apache" pizza lately......to die for!

Advertisement