Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when are fruit trees in lidl?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi does anyone know when the fruit trees come into lidl? ive contacted them and they say they only know whats coming in the following week, also i know they can grow very big the lidl varieties but have loads of space so dont mind:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Blueberry plants coming in this Thursday. Other types should be coming throughout the next few weeks, keep checking the website.
    Anybody had much success with their fruit bushes and trees?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do the fruit trees not come in in the spring? it's too early yet for bareroot.

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember them coming in last autumn because I was tempted to buy a couple but didn't in the end and stated looking into getting bareroot privet (which I did in November). That's not to say they'll offer them again this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

great i hope your right redster i remember buying one about 2 years ago and im sure it was round this time, will keep an eye out online

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

redser7 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I remember them coming in last autumn
    you may be right, but they seem to come in in october:
    http://www.garden.ie/post.aspx?id=3499&idpost=4893
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about380.html

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed, I have the space for them at last.
    So has anybody had good results with apple, cherry or pears from them? Oh and blueberry and other fruit bushes?
    Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I had very good results with the cherry tree. I have no green fingers whatsoever, just planted it and let it get on with growing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

i have had great sucess with lidl plum tree and did have with the stella cherry tree until the cow ate it down.
    im going to get a blueberry plant this thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Do they give you the variety of the blueberry bush on the label? Or does anyone here know what variety they offer? I've emailed Lidl, but my faith in a reply is... questionable :D

Also, what would I need to know/prepare for taking care of that bush? I'm not exactly green fingered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Guys

Blueberries like acid conditions. So Ericaceous compost if you are keeping them in pots or peaty conditions if planting out. If Feeding them buy ericaceous feed.

Plants from Lidl and Aldi are good but usually very small and will take a couple of years to get going I keep mine in pots for the 1st 2 years and then plant out. But they'll give some fruit around August each year. Once out you can propogate them by layering.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Have 2 of their Apple (eating) trees...planted them about 4 years ago,getting fairly good crops for the past 2 years or so... Nice Apples too...:D

Great.
    TheFatMan - would you just use store bought ericaceous compost on its own or would you have to mix it with some topsoil? Also, what size pot would you use? Or would you keep potting it on as it grows?
    Thanks a lot

Bought one of the Blueberry plants this morning - 'Goldtraube'. Fruits July - August. I want to pot it up (at least temporarily). It is in a long pot, I suppose you see them typically for Roses (about 10" high x 4 or 5 inches square).
    Anyone know what size pot I should use and should I pot it on into pure ericaceous compost?
    Thanks for any advice.

I bought one of each variety, so six plants :o (Hoping I can't kill them all). Bought two bags of ericaceous compost as well, so keeping an eye on this thread a I have no idea what I'm at :D

One of 'each' variety?? I thought there was only one. Which store did you get yours in? Would like at least one other, apparently is gives better pollination.

Well....

Each plant had "Vaccinium Corymbosum" written on the label.

But, there were six types, or varieties (apologies if I am using variety as a wrong term).

Nortland
    Heerma
    Pioneer
    Bluecrop
    Blue gold
    Goldtraube

So I got one of each.

Thanks, should have looked closer :rolleyes:

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks, should have looked closer :rolleyes:

I emailed Lidl beforehand to find out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

forgot about these, will check if any left in the morning.

Advertisement