Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5E + Coax cable from garage to where??

Options
  • 04-09-2011 12:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I ran a Belden outdoor cat5e cable and also a co-ax cable under ground from my garage up into my house.

I ran them through the house and up into the attic.

Can either of these cable be used for a garage security camera in the future and is the attic the right place for these cables to be??

All the TV and phone cables in the house go up into the attic.

Many thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could use use Coax for Video & Cat 5 for power or you could use Cat5 alone for both using CCTV balun to allow traditional 75 ohm coax cable to be replaced by Cat 5 twisted pair.
    Location? Wherever you may want to locate a DVR in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

KoolKid wrote: »
    You could use use Coax for Video & Cat 5 for power or you could use Cat5 alone for both using CCTV balun to allow traditional 75 ohm coax cable to be replaced by Cat 5 twisted pair.
    Location? Wherever you may want to locate a DVR in the future.

I would like to be able to use the co-ax for a TV in the garage,fi=or the future.

So using the Cat5E entirely for a camera would be perfect for me..

Both the co ax and cat5e was wired back to the attic as thats where I have all the other cat5e and co ax cables.

DVR is the digital video recorder????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

paddy147 wrote: »

DVR is the digital video recorder????
    Correct ;)

Correct ;)

Im on a roll today so.:D

Is a DVR a big bit of kit like an old VCR, or is it a small and compact bit of kit?

It can be either.
    They can fill comms rack or be anywhere in between down to the size of a small hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

you could put four cameras on the cat5, supply power from the garage and use the coax for the tv.
    Or keep a pair for the phone, then the wife can call you when the dinner is on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I ran a Belden outdoor cat5e cable and also a co-ax cable under ground from my garage up into my house.

I ran them through the house and up into the attic.

Can either of these cable be used for a garage security camera in the future and is the attic the right place for these cables to be??

All the TV and phone cables in the house go up into the attic.

Many thanks.:)

The best place for the DVR is like your control panel off the alarm, out of sight. Viewing of your system on your network means you wont need it set up in view of everyone.

Paddy , how accessible is your attic?
    It would be a pain if you had to do some crawling around to make a copy via CD/DVD rewriter.
    Athough once the cables are it the attic you would have the option of coming into a bed room etc.

altor wrote: »
    The best place for the DVR is like your control panel off the alarm, out of sight. Viewing of your system on your network means you wont need it set up in view of everyone.

Well out of sight so.:)

Paddy , how accessible is your attic?
    It would be a pain if you had to do some crawling around to make a copy via CD/DVD rewriter.
    Athough once the cables are it the attic you would have the option of coming into a bed room etc.

Both attic spaces perfectly accessible,via folding attic ladders.

• Advertisement

Best way to go so.;)

How does a DVR work then??

How much recording can it do,or does it just keep on automaticly recording over old footage ater a certain amount of time??

It depends on a number of factors:
    The size of the hard drive,
    The quality of the images being recorded,
    The type of images being recorded etc.
    Most recorders will be set to overwrite the oldest images fist. This can be turned on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When siting the location for your Dvr consider a few things. It must sited somewhere that's well ventilated, dust free, easily accessible and make sure it's safe from theft.

I would also not recommend using your home network as the only way of accessing the DVR as the quality isn't as good. Locate your recorder somewhere where you can go to it and comfortably operate it.

Like alot of things, you get what you pay for, this is especially true for CCTV so get the best equipment you can afford.

Just been googling about DVRs and how they work and their sizes and prices.

Does a 4 channel DVR mean that you can have 4 cameras hooked up to it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just been googling about DVRs and how they work and their sizes and prices.

Does a 4 channel DVR mean that you can have 4 cameras hooked up to it??

Yes. I would suggest you get an 8 or 9 channel to allow for extra cameras in the future.

Yes. I would suggest you get an 8 or 9 channel to allow for extra cameras in the future.

Its not Fork Knox Im living in.:D

Id be perfectly happy with 1 camera over the leccy door of the garage out back,and then 1 other camera down the side of the house looking out onto the driveway.

I also have a Cat5E cable installed for the side of the house too.I actually forgot about that,until now.:)

Can I also just ask this.........

So the 2 cameras go back to the DVR via the 2 x Cat5E cables.

Does the DVR then go to a TV screen or PC Monitor,like a set top box would go to a TV.What type of cable would link the DVR to a screen?

Is it that simple and straight forward??

Thanks.

Viewing your system over the network should make no difference. You can also get systems that will allow remote download of footage. The bigger the hard drive you use the more days recording the system will store.

Can I also just ask this.........

So the 2 cameras go back to the DVR via the 2 x Cat5E cables.

Does the DVR then go to a TV screen or PC Monitor,like a set top box would go to a TV.What type of cable would link the DVR to a screen?

Is it that simple and straight forward??

Thanks.

PC monitor will do the same thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement