Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over sensitive?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I hate my job. I work in a very small company of 4 people including me, we have freelancers coming in and out but mainly it is just the four of us.

One is the managing director, one used to be the managing director (but due to "financial"problems had to give up the role)

So basically I have two managers and one work colleague.

I find this impossible. I coped for a while due to the fact that we used to have one extra person working for us but he has since left, and I am left feeling ALONE.

My main problem is that I effectively have two managers breathing down my neck constantly.

small office - behind me day in day out.

Recently I had a review where they both sat me down (in a pub) and had it out with me, saying that I was letting my 25% of the team down. And basically nothing I did was right.

Thing is I thought I had been doing fine, they complained about things that at the time they had told me that I had done a good job.

They also added during my review about how great my colleague is doing and that I should be extra supportive of his fast learning curve...

After the review I was left sitting in the pub with my two managers, slightly shell shocked from what was a hours roasting. They noticed that I was upset, yet their only comments were "i bet you need a drink after that" to which I replied, "no I am okay thank you". I then took out my phone to which I got "oh probably calling your mother now I suppose"

Two days later at one of the compulsory pub meetings..... a conversation came up about back pain and I said that I had gone to an acupuncturist once looking for help because I tend to hunch, to which my boss retorted "no you hunch because you are lazy" both my managers laughed

I am just so down about this.....i am in another country, and I just feel like handing in my notice tomorrow morning quite frankly.

Maybe I am over sensitive .... is this something people have to put up with, this is really my first proper job in my field....is this what the working world is like?? Are digs like this to be expected. Am I a big baby! ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Hi Mate ,
    Listen iv read your story there and you along with about 1 million other people have the same issue,you have to look at this realistically due to the current economic climate jobs are really hard to come by and as a result of this companies are taking advantage of this by pushing there staff alot harder because the think that we the employees have no other choice but to work under these conditions. Im here to tell you that there is always another option I personally worked 6 years in a high stress high pressure situation and I was pushed untill sickness....I thought i had no other option and here I am now in australia in a low pressure job with a lot more rewards and more money my work is appreciated and i get on great with everyone.
    If you like this job and you are good at it but you feel your bosses are setting you unrealistic targets sit with them NOT IN THE PUB and ask them for your job description and position responsibilities.Once you get this you will then be able to see wither or not you are doing your job.you may be surprised and realise that you are doing other peoples work and not getting yours done.in relation to the comments passed that is just banter in the PUB which you are goin to expect because you are in a PUB!!!!

Finally Ill leave you with this comment that got me where i am today.

"You cant choose the work you do your boss and job decides that ...but YOU decide the ATTITUDE you bring to work every day!!" if you go to work pissed off and in a bad mood guess what .....it will reflect your work and how others look at you.Where as if you go to work having made the decision that you want to enjoy your work and the people you work with believe me it will improve your work out put MASSIVELY

Any other questions dont hesitate to ask mate best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

It's hard to remember when you are working but there are lots of people out there without a job to complain about. Friend of mine was out of work for the past six months depite being in the IT sector

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MrPicante wrote: »
    It's hard to remember when you are working but there are lots of people out there without a job to complain about.
    Health is often better than wealth. OP: start looking for another job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Hey OP,

Seems very unprofessional that they meet you in a PUB firstly.
    Secondly the fact they seem to be ganging up on you just seems like bullying and not "pub banter" as suggested by another poster.

I would go looking for another job but dont let this affect your work.
    If you manage to sort out another position then dump them.

Advertisement