Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography or Economics On my own in a year??

• 04-09-2011 1:11pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Well Lads,
    Repeating This year and I have to pick up an extra subject on my own,
    Just wondering which would you pick and has anyone any experience of either, Geography is clashing with Chemistry in my school, but if i choose it I can tag along for the fieldwork if I want!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Woop go Longford! :L. Anyway, I do both of those subjects (Economics outside of school) and I would honestly suggest for you to choose Geography. There's the 20% Fieldwork which is ussually marked easily enough so there'll be less pressure on the actual exam and the topics are easier in Geo to grasp!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Economics. Particuarly if you have any experience with Business Studies. (Not 100% necessary) I do it myself and find it fairly simple, short course to.

Given what I've seen of the Geography course thus far, it's seems fairly straightforward but the course itself is simply massive. (Right up there with the likes of Biology). Probably not doable, at least to Leaving Cert higher level standard in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Depends on what you are good at, but id go with geography its handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

i'm an economics teacher and i genuinely can't speak for geog as I don't know the course at all.

however, econ course is short enough and you can cut out certain topics and chapters straight away.

I know a guy who covered just 5 topics last year:

intl trade
    money and banking
    supply and demand
    oligopoly
    government finances

and he got a B - and he was quite weak.

a huge amount of it is current affairs (in terms of what they set the papers on each year) so if you have a good knowledge of current affairs it'll help you massively.

HTH

Advertisement