Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterstown road to roundabout connection under way

Options
  • 04-09-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I see they are starting to make that much needed connection. no more waiting for ages at the train station but this will no doubt put a load of traffic onto the porterstown road. anyone know when its due to be finished?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I presume it'll put a lot of traffic onto Diswellstown Road as people will be able to avoid the level crossing on Porterstown Road, which will mean the traffic will be backing up from the roundabout on Clonsilla Road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

They have done alot in a short time so i'd say end of October.

The sooner the better to start on the new school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zaph wrote: »
    I presume it'll put a lot of traffic onto Diswellstown Road as people will be able to avoid the level crossing on Porterstown Road, which will mean the traffic will be backing up from the roundabout on Clonsilla Road instead.
    The level crossing on Porterstown Road will be a dead end. I have emailed FCC Roads to ask for a copy of the PDF of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Good to see the road upgrade underway.

Its is a pity to see the five mature Cedar trees at the corner just opposite the church will have to be cut down to make way for the up grade. I do hope that the Council will replace them with something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

The rural feel to the area is now well and truly gone and when the school arrives I feel houses will follow in subsequent years. Its such a pity the trees have to go.

When the metro eventually arrives, this junction may have to change again completely?

"The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims my brain
    'Cause Dublin keeps on changing & nothing stays the same
    The Pillar & the Met have gone, the Royal long since pulled down
    As the great unyielding concrete makes a city of my town"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

StrawDub wrote: »
    When the metro eventually arrives, this junction may have to change again completely?

Can't see that happening for long, long time

StrawDub wrote: »
    The junctions will not have to change again, apart from some light sequence changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

daymobrew wrote: »
    The level crossing on Porterstown Road will be a dead end. I have emailed FCC Roads to ask for a copy of the PDF of the works.

Will there by pedestrian and cycling access through that dead end on the Porterstown Road?

Will there by pedestrian and cycling access through that dead end on the Porterstown Road?
    I think that I am wrong in saying that it will dead end - it looks like it will remain open and be accessible from a new leg at the roundabout.

• Advertisement

I asked FCC some questions and just got the answers.

Q: Is Porterstown Road between the level crossing and halting site now served by a leg of the signalised junction (formerly a roundabout)?
    A: It will be possible to access the section of the Porterstown Road , from the level crossing to the halting site, and the existing entrance to Scoil Choilm from the new signalized junction .

Q: On the same leg, at the bend, where does the cycle track go to? It and the path seem to end abruptly.
    A: At this time there are no proposals to extend the cycle track or paths beyond the turn in question. This are being provided to facilitate future cycle/pedestrian plans for the area.

Q: Is the T junction between the signalised junction and Luttrellstown Road a direct link to Scoil Choilm (and the future Luttrellstown Community College )?
    A: It is envisaged that the T junction will ultimately be the entrance to Scoil Choilm and the new Luttrellstown Community College.

I asked FCC some questions and just got the answers.

Q: Is Porterstown Road between the level crossing and halting site now served by a leg of the signalised junction (formerly a roundabout)?
    A: It will be possible to access the section of the Porterstown Road , from the level crossing to the halting site, and the existing entrance to Scoil Choilm from the new signalized junction .

Q: On the same leg, at the bend, where does the cycle track go to? It and the path seem to end abruptly.
    A: At this time there are no proposals to extend the cycle track or paths beyond the turn in question. This are being provided to facilitate future cycle/pedestrian plans for the area.

Q: Is the T junction between the signalised junction and Luttrellstown Road a direct link to Scoil Choilm (and the future Luttrellstown Community College )?
    A: It is envisaged that the T junction will ultimately be the entrance to Scoil Choilm and the new Luttrellstown Community College.

Did they say when they would be finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

So will this mean the decommissioning of the level crossing?

Justask wrote: »
    Did they say when they would be finished?
    I forgot to ask.
    Jehuty42 wrote: »
    So will this mean the decommissioning of the level crossing?
    No. The road on either side of it remains open.

I forgot to ask. No. The road on either side of it remains open.

Thanks for getting the info you have done :)

The construction works are scheduled to be completed in mid March 2012.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For good reason, Irish Rail are looking to decommission as many of the level crossings as possible on the line.

The cycle tracks look like a joke, but that's to be expected given Fingal's standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

monument wrote: »
    For good reason, Irish Rail are looking to decommission as many of the level crossings as possible on the line.

Yeah, that's why I wonder why they aren't going the whole way and closing that part of Porterstown Rd entirely(making two cul-de-sacs), seeing as under this plan all existing traffic has an alternative route. It's a bit inconvenient, but worth it for the rail benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

monument wrote: »
    The cycle tracks look like a joke, but that's to be expected given Fingal's standards.

Exactly, which is why I'm hoping I can still use the old Porterstown Road and avoid as much of it as possible.

Just between the signalized junction and the roundabout the northbound offroad cycle track passes five junctions/gateways. Staying on the road will be more comfortable, convenient and safe. I don't know why they bother :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Exactly, which is why I'm hoping I can still use the old Porterstown Road and avoid as much of it as possible.

Just between the signalized junction and the roundabout the northbound offroad cycle track passes five junctions/gateways. Staying on the road will be more comfortable, convenient and safe. I don't know why they bother :rolleyes:

I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I can't wait for this upgrade to complete.

I'm living close to Coolmine station, and the crossings here are an absolute joke. Traffic is just mayhem when the barriers go down, and in some cases I can't get out of my appartment block.

Then to add insult to injury, I get to the far side of Clonsilla and sit at that station for another 10 minutes waiting to get through to Lucan.

I can see a lot of traffic running down the Luttrelstown road in Kellystown, bypassing the Clonsilla village completely. That road could do with a resurfacing at least before winter sets in. It freezes pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Whilst I agree with the obvious benefits of these developments, it is very sad to see how the old stud farm and the Porterstown Road look at the moment. I've lived in the area all my life and I've seen some pretty major changes, but for some reason this one feels worse than any other. I just loved the narrow road and old stone walls, with the horses in the field.

Ah well.

Same here. Always felt like you were out of the city into the countryside. I expect this will increase the volume on that road which will change the character of the road utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

I live on this road and my at least 5 generations of the family have lived in the Porterstown area. Sad isn't the word to see it changing, however at least the green belt for Liffey Valley will keep the changes from happening on the Liffey side of the road for a few more years to come.

A lot of people would be surprised at the extent of the history contained on this small area leading down to the Liffey.

That book "Jim Lacey, A Candle in the Window" has a ton of info about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Justask wrote: »
    They have done alot in a short time so i'd say end of October.

If only!
    The construction works are scheduled to be completed in mid March 2012.

Looking more realistic...

I have to say (primarily as a motorbiker, but I'm sure car drivers and the few cyclists who use the road regularly will agree) the state the road is in now while the works continue is a disgrace. Once you have passed the level crossing at Porterstown the road is covered in muck and dust, then there are about four or five different stages where you have to slow down to navigate some huge declines or inclines from the old road to the new road, with massive amounts of soil and pebbles to avoid to prevent sliding the bike on.

I appreciate that it is difficult to carry out works like this without making a bit of a mess but it honestly looks like they have just not bothered cleaning up after themselves at all yet because it isn't a "main" road. I hate driving the road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Yeah, it's in bits. Car was skidding on the gravel turning at the junction from the Porterstown Road towards the level crossing there for a while. Did not feel safe. All this one lane rubbish at that junction is doing my head in as well. Wouldn't say no to some sort of widening of the bends near the level crossing, if possible. The amount of eejits who've nearly run me off the road there in the evening.

That road will be cul de sac when they are finished. So no point widening it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

That annoys me. Everyone will be using the flyover road, and I can only assume traffic will be heavy on the flyover between the school and more people heading that way towards town.

• Advertisement

Thank the planners who allowed all the development that this traffic is generated from.

Advertisement