Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterstown road to roundabout connection under way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Somerton Lane has became a lot busier in the last two weeks. Probably because of the road opening. Too many mams in jeeps and eejits in Mercedes who don't seem to realise that I can't pull my Nissan Micra any further left going down that hill and you have all the space on your side, so for the love of God, get up that hill an get out of my way.

Taking bets on someone getting rear-ended on that hill in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Rugged lane has turned into a nightmare too. SPACIAL awareness is in short supply. there are about 5 areas known to people who use it were you can pull in to let a car pass you. a lot of the drivers using it now dont seem to be aware or just dont give a **** about this. had my wing mirror done twice this week by a dopey black woman. same car if i see her again ill be blocking her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

The Rugged Lane and Somerton should have a one way system put in place, down the Rugged Lane and up Somerton or vica versa. The rugged lane has become dangerous, very surprised there has been no serious accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We said from the start this change would turn the area into a far worse rat run.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Same here. Always felt like you were out of the
    city into the countryside. I expect this will increase the volume on that road which will change the character of the road utterly.

So its going to destroy the green belt character, and bring heavy traffic into a residential area with a large number of schools in it. Make the roads less safe.

Ultimately its encourages more people to drive than to use alternative methods. For example the increase in volumes and speeds makes it less enjoyable to cycle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Have people been ringing FCC Transportation (890 5596) to complain about the traffic jams?

Yesterday my wife told me that, at about 6pm, it was backed up from the new lights, over the bridge and almost to Clonsilla Road roundabout.
    I rang FCC Transportation this morning.
    I will email some of the councillors now.

• Advertisement

It should be a roundabout.

But it illustrates the traffic its bringing in through the estate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh why is this junction not a roundabout. There was a good bit of space to work with so they could have created a large roundabout like the one at Powercity

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh why is this junction not a roundabout. There was a good bit of space to work with so they could have created a large roundabout like the one at Powercity
    To make space for Metro West, which was being planned when the link road was being planned.

I am writing to each of the councillors atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Just wondering does anyone know what they are constructing now beside Scoil Choilm? Is that the start of the new secondary school?

• Advertisement

canihave wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know what they are constructing now beside Scoil Choilm? Is that the start of the new secondary school?
    I assumed that the LCC would be on the same side of the old Porterstown Road as Scoil Choilm. The triangle plot being worked on is smaller than that of SC.

I haven't seen any plans. Theres no reason it is the LCC only thats been in the local press they said that they've started. Maybe they didn't mean literally and its something else. The Metro station or something. Despite it being cancelled.

The Metro station or something. Despite it being cancelled.
    FCC may not be the most efficient with money but they aren't that careless. That is not the location of the station anyway (it was to be on the bridge, close to where it crosses the canal).

The Castleknock Gazette mentions a community centre that is to be built. That is something that would fit on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

daymobrew wrote: »
    I assumed that the LCC would be on the same side of the old Porterstown Road as Scoil Choilm. The triangle plot being worked on is smaller than that of SC.

I would imagine that the area been worked on at the moment is for the site offices and a compound for machinery and materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Dreadful tailbacks and congestion again this morning - just did a 40 minute round trip from Clonsilla to Laurel Lodge, it used to be 10 at most.

At this stage I'm considering going down into Blanch village, round by the Bell and getting to Laurel Lodge that way instead.

The light sequence on the junction seems to be messed up again - its letting no more than 5-6 cars through from the flyover side, despite the fact that there is actually very little school traffic coming through the other way.

Traffic is backed up right back to Clonsilla on one side and all the way through the River road roundabout on the other side.

clubcrown wrote: »
    Dreadful tailbacks and congestion again this morning - just did a 40 minute round trip from Clonsilla to Laurel Lodge, it used to be 10 at most.
    Contact FCC Traffic and email councillors (even though neither groups even responded to my suggestion of a left filter light sequence to allow traffic turn from Clonsilla to Carpenterstown).

Contact FCC Traffic and email councillors (even though neither groups even responded to my suggestion of a left filter light sequence to allow traffic turn from Clonsilla to Carpenterstown).

Yeah, I did it last time too without any response. I'll mail them again.

I'm not sure how a left filter would improve things really, most of the traffic is going left from the Clonsilla direction anyway?

The existing sequence would be fine if it just stayed green for a bit longer.

Needed to be a roundabout. With pedestrian lights set back from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

It was a roundabout. Never understood why they changed it.

I'm not sure how a left filter would improve things really, most of the traffic is going left from the Clonsilla direction anyway?
    When traffic from Carpenterstown has its turn I feel that those coming over the bridge from Clonsilla should be given a left filter green instead of current red.

In some cases the car at the front will be going straight ahead so no one behind can go left but that won't always be the case. This is how the lights are set up at Chapelizod for those coming from Knockmaroon Hill.

• Advertisement

When traffic from Carpenterstown has its turn I feel that those coming over the bridge from Clonsilla should be given a left filter green instead of current red.

In some cases the car at the front will be going straight ahead so no one behind can go left but that won't always be the case. This is how the lights are set up at Chapelizod for those coming from Knockmaroon Hill.

Sure, but they'd need to change the right turning lane to be right turn or straight ahead, and make the left lane left turn only. Otherwise you end up with the same string of cars with the one in front blocking everyone else.

As it is, a number of people overtake the line of traffic coming down the bridge, nip into the right turn only lane, then cut across and go straight ahead when the light goes green. Its a complete mess.

I've started avoiding it - this morning I went from Clonsilla to Laurel Lodge through Blanch and back the same way. There was equal delays on both the bridge and Carpenterstown sides of the roundabout, about 20-25 cars queuing. Crazy that we're forced into these roundabout routes.

Where the filter is needed from the queues at peak time. The other directions have very little traffic relative to that.

Sure, but they'd need to change the right turning lane to be right turn or straight ahead, and make the left lane left turn only. Otherwise you end up with the same string of cars with the one in front blocking everyone else.
    My suggestion only requires changing the light sequence, not any lane markings. I did say that it would not always work out, just like in Chapelizod.
    As it is, a number of people overtake the line of traffic coming down the bridge, nip into the right turn only lane, then cut across and go straight ahead when the light goes green. Its a complete mess.
    This is a direct result of the poor sequencing. You should tell FCC about these illegal moves. Or the Gardai (though they can only enforce the law, not fix the root cause).
    I've started avoiding it - this morning I went from Clonsilla to Laurel Lodge through Blanch and back the same way. There was equal delays on both the bridge and Carpenterstown sides of the roundabout, about 20-25 cars queuing. Crazy that we're forced into these roundabout routes.
    You could go over the level crossing at old Porterstown Road and end up going straight ahead to Carpenterstown at the junction. The risk is that a passing train will delay you.

Most of the traffic is in the same direction two directions. Bridge to Diswellstown road, and the reverse, Diswellstown to the bridge. That has to be 70% of traffic if not more. (my guesstimate) . The lights should have filters, and priority to the busiest direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I've started to avoid the bridge by taking my chances past the school and over the Porterstown level crossing and then straight ahead into Riverwood, this has been working out quicker for me at 8.20 in the morning. A bloody joke though, was fine as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm really starting to get a pain in my hole with the poxy junction they put in here. last night, long after rush hour, about 6:30 the traffic was backed up over the bridge, through the Clonsilla roundabout and heading for Power city. WTF????
    I kinda wondered why they put lights on it considering every other junction around is a roundabout with no lights and a pedestrian crossing located slightly away from the junction.

When there is no school on, or its the summer, and off-peak, and there isn't much pedestrian traffic, this junction will still delay everyone, unlike the roundabouts feeding into this junction.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't figure that out myself. I thought they might just expand the roundabout that was already there, it would seem to make more sense.

Agree with you both, it was an absolutely stupid decision to remove the roundabout that was there to put in that crazy set of expensive trafic lights.
    JoePie wrote: »
    I came down Blanch Road south, straight through the roundabout and over the bridge. Sat at the lights a bit longer than I would've liked, had to wait through 2 sequences, and then straight through onto the back road past the new school this morning. This was at 8:30am. Took about ten minutes less than usual. At least.

Other than the light sequences being a little too long, I'm fine with it. The lights at the far end of the new road will make turning left there a lot easier as well when they get switched on. Hopefully.

The road got widened really well there and there again is no real need for the lights there as now you can actually see around the corner
    Most of the traffic is in the same direction two directions. Bridge to Diswellstown road, and the reverse, Diswellstown to the bridge. That has to be 70% of traffic if not more. (my guesstimate) . The lights should have filters, and priority to the busiest direction.

I don't agree that lights were put in because of the proposed Metro. What difference would that make?

The only solution is to destory all the lights and make it a roundabout again. This poppycock about a Roundabout not being suitable because of the school is stupid. No problem up at Castleknock Comunity College is there with 2 schools there and only roundabouts.

stevieob wrote: »
    ...I don't agree that lights were put in because of the proposed Metro. What difference would that make?

You quoted the wrong person ;)
    The roundabout was removed to make way for Metro West. It would not have to change much when Metro West was being built. Obviously things have changed since early 2011 when the junction was designed.

I have a PDF from May 2011 of the junction - it shows a signalised junction.
    The lights still have to be programmed appropriately.
    The only solution is to destory all the lights and make it a roundabout again. This poppycock about a Roundabout not being suitable because of the school is stupid. No problem up at Castleknock Comunity College is there with 2 schools there and only roundabouts.

Well actually there is a problem, so much so they needed two lollipop ladies and have put in pedestrian lights. A speed counter and countless ramps.

As we predicted at the start of this thread, they've made a residential estates and quiet roads into a rat run. On my cycle from D.15 to D4. The bit from Diswellstown road to the park is my least favourite bit from the speed and aggressiveness of the drivers. They hit the suburbs and treat it like a racetrack.

Also as predicted it hasn't solved the problem, of traffic tailbacks. As there simply isn't anywhere for it to go so it just backs up longer in other places. They've built massive housing developments in Lucan/Clonsilla/Clonee and there isn't enough road capacity for it to get out. Pushing most of it through the pin hole of Castleknock Village and surrounds isn't a solution. They are just destroying all the areas en route, and spending a fortune to do so.

TBH a child could look at this junction and tell you its moronic. That they need to be told this, suggests they either don't care, want to burn through a budget, or actually don't understand it themselves. I suspect its a combination of all 3.

Last time I complained about Laurel Lodge bizarre changes of lights and markings, I was told it was all to facilitate incomming traffic. For which theres never been a tailback or problem with. Which makes so little sense its hard to take them seriously at all.

TBH I'm not a fan of them changing the lights now. As it will just move the traffic to where its a bigger problem for me! Selfish, but its as good a reason as any at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You quoted the wrong person ;)
    oops sorry!

Well actually there is a problem, so much so they needed two lollipop ladies and have put in pedestrian lights. A speed counter and countless ramps.

As we predicted at the start of this thread, they've made a residential estates and quiet roads into a rat run. On my cycle from D.15 to D4. The bit from Diswellstown road to the park is my least favourite bit from the speed and aggressiveness of the drivers. They hit the suburbs and treat it like a racetrack.

Also as predicted it hasn't solved the problem, of traffic tailbacks. As there simply isn't anywhere for it to go so it just backs up longer in other places. They've built massive housing developments in Lucan/Clonsilla/Clonee and there isn't enough road capacity for it to get out. Pushing most of it through the pin hole of Castleknock Village and surrounds isn't a solution. They are just destroying all the areas en route, and spending a fortune to do so.

TBH a child could look at this junction and tell you its moronic. That they need to be told this, suggests they either don't care, want to burn through a budget, or actually don't understand it themselves. I suspect its a combination of all 3.

Last time I complained about Laurel Lodge bizarre changes of lights and markings, I was told it was all to facilitate incomming traffic. For which theres never been a tailback or problem with. Which makes so little sense its hard to take them seriously at all.

Fair points. I live in Riverwood, so know only to well of the traffic issues, and the result of the changes meaning loads more traffic being routed through a residential area. However, I am there long enough to remember the times before the flyover bridge came along to eleviate problems getting out of the estate. It used to to be a knightmare and the link to Porterstown road I actually think is a good one from my point of view as the volume of houses within Riverwood/Luttrelstown really needed more than 2 roads out of the estate.

I really dont get the removal of the roundabout though. The traffic lights are causing congestion, not only at rush hours, but also at off peak times, as well as causing un-necessary hold ups and costing un-necessary expense.

Kind of reminds me of the waste of money that went into the bus lane all the way through Laurel Lodge. I mean, that certainly was not required.

I guess when I was referring to no problems down at the other schools, I was thinking about it from a congestion point of view but I argue that no matter where there are schools, you will always find lollypop ladies. The speed bumps (the ones on Riverwood side are more like speed hills) and counter are nothing to do lights v roundabouts, but rather as a result of a poor girl getting knocked over there a few years back.

They could have repaired the speed ramps with some of the money, I'm ruining my bike every time I cycle over them.

• Advertisement

They could have repaired the speed ramps with some of the money, I'm ruining my bike every time I cycle over them.
    I cycle over them with my two boys on my bike - it's bone shaking.
    Earlier this year I reported to FCC Roads the poor state of the two speed ramps close to LuttrellPark Close (these were installed by FCC). The usual "money" excuse was thrown out. Aside: The ramps installed by Castlethorn are all intact. Buy cheap, buy twice!!
    I don't agree that lights were put in because of the proposed Metro. What difference would that make?
    I guess it is to allow for easier control over car traffic when a Metro tram is passing through the junction. With a roundabout you might get someone flying around it not seeing an oncoming tram. You could ask the RPA.
    Having said that, I don't know what the plans for the roundabouts at Clonsilla Road and Power City were.

Aside: Does anyone know why the pedestrian lights were installed outside St Patrick's school? Is there a problem during school hours? Are parents of children the culprits? (they are probably responsible for the "Unsafe Crossing" signs at the entrance to the school!!!).
    IMO ped lights (and speed ramps) don't fix the underlying problem - behaviour of some road users. Instead these things inconvenience and annoy the rest of us.

Advertisement