Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterstown road to roundabout connection under way

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I plan to contact the Traffic Division in Blanch Gardai about the junction. I will highlight the dangerous and illegal driving of some as they try to beat the traffic jams (e.g. driving into a right turn lane only to go straight ahead).

AFAIK they work with FCC Roads on such issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

daymobrew wrote: »
    Aside: Does anyone know why the pedestrian lights were installed outside St Patrick's school? Is there a problem during school hours? Are parents of children the culprits? (they are probably responsible for the "Unsafe Crossing" signs at the entrance to the school!!!).
    IMO ped lights (and speed ramps) don't fix the underlying problem - behaviour of some road users. Instead these things inconvenience and annoy the rest of us.

No idea. Are they even turned on? I didn't think they were.

There's a problem on Diswellstown road all the time from what I can see, both in crossing it as a pedestrian, or pulling out in a car from a side road. Its now a main traffic route. People seem to accelerate at you if they see you trying to cross it, or pull out on to it. Or they drive on your bumper if you dare to sit at the speed limit on it.

The ramps and ped lights are a pain. But I don't see what choice there is/was There was people dong insane speeds on that road. One day (before th ramps) I saw someone in a Ferrari speed testing up and down it. You used to hear people building up speed on the bridge before launching themselves down Diswellstown road like a drag strip. At least that's mainly stopped.

BostonB wrote: »
    But I don't see what choice there is/was There was people dong insane speeds on that road.
    The Garda Traffic Division could have done their job. According to their web page, their role is:
    The main responsibility of Garda Traffic is to significantly reduce the incidence of fatal and serious injuries and improve road safety.

At least the ramps are less severe than the ones outside Riverwood though I've had a few instances of cars cutting in front of me on my bike as we approach the traffic islands. (I cycle on the road when I am doing race training - I wait patiently for Leo Varadkar to remove the mandatory use law, like he promised he would).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

daymobrew wrote: »

Aside: Does anyone know why the pedestrian lights were installed outside St Patrick's school? Is there a problem during school hours? Are parents of children the culprits? (they are probably responsible for the "Unsafe Crossing" signs at the entrance to the school!!!).
    IMO ped lights (and speed ramps) don't fix the underlying problem - behaviour of some road users. Instead these things inconvenience and annoy the rest of us.

I haven't heard anything official but I assumed that it was for school goers, but also for the kids walking to Castleknock Hurling & Football new premises on Somerton Lane.
    There is pedestrian access via the mass path (pathway by the Beeches) onto Porterstown Road. There is also some work going on upgrading the footpath on the other side of the pedestrian gate.

dtf wrote: »
    There is also some work going on upgrading the footpath on the other side of the pedestrian gate.
    It's very slow going. It's as if they are moving the hardcore one bucket per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

No idea. Are they even turned on? I didn't think they were.

There's a problem on Diswellstown road all the time from what I can see, both in crossing it as a pedestrian, or pulling out in a car from a side road. Its now a main traffic route. People seem to accelerate at you if they see you trying to cross it, or pull out on to it. Or they drive on your bumper if you dare to sit at the speed limit on it.

The ramps and ped lights are a pain. But I don't see what choice there is/was There was people dong insane speeds on that road. One day (before th ramps) I saw someone in a Ferrari speed testing up and down it. You used to hear people building up speed on the bridge before launching themselves down Diswellstown road like a drag strip. At least that's mainly stopped.
    Insted of the ramps it would be better a few speed cameras, which they will bring money to the gards and the drivers will benefit from less visits to the garge ! in one year it cost me €700 to fix the damage done by the ramps to my car.

If they bring in fixed camera like the UK expect to spend a lot more on fines and points.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Does anyone know that that monstrosity is going in at the junction beside the school? Liked like some sort of mega barn from the frame I saw up the other evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If they bring in fixed camera like the UK expect to spend a lot more on fines and points.

they are hardly going to put fixed cameras or average speed cameras (I think that is what you meant) in a housing estate!

JoePie wrote: »
    Does anyone know that that monstrosity is going in at the junction beside the school? Liked like some sort of mega barn from the frame I saw up the other evening.
    think it is the new school. its massive isn't it

JoePie wrote: »
    It is the Scoil Choilm 16 classroom extension and Luttrellstown Community College. You can read the planning application on FCC's web site (look under the Documents tab at the floor plans and maps).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

The new school certainly is a monstrosity, hopefully the finished product will look better but its a very unsightly design and takes a lot from the area. Is the school actually bigger than Coolmine community school?

Looking at the plans its great to see a new GAA pitch going in, will only help Westmanstown GAA/Castleknock Gaa's development in the area.

I also believe double yellow lines are needed now outside the school at 1:30pm and 2:30pm parents are literally parked all over the road. Every time I pass at that time I am afraid a child is going to step out in front of me.

Thats a result of poor catchment decisions, and also poor planning of the area/schools in general. Where kids who can walk to the school can't get in, and other kids have to be driven to it.

StrawDub wrote: »
    I also believe double yellow lines are needed now outside the school at 1:30pm and 2:30pm parents are literally parked all over the road.
    We have laws a plenty but no enforcement. Pair that with thoughtless and selfish people and you get a mess.

At my son's primary school this morning a local Garda said he'd ticket people who park on the footpath. I know that he won't (but I will hassle him about it).

There was a traffic engineer (not a FCC person) at the lights today at 2:30. He has the signal control box open.

Aside: He, along with about 30 other cars, was parked on the cycle path. All the other cars were collecting children from Scoil Choilim. The volume of illegal parking was disgusting. I will have to ask Blanch Gardai to start ticketing people.

Advertisement