Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope for .223

Options
  • 04-09-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I was wondering which zoom would be suitable for a .223 rifle.
    I would be doing a good bit of hunting such as foxes and rabbits, but i would also like to try some long range target shooting around 300+ yards. Its mainly the zoom i am worried about.

What would be the best zoom for a rifle scope on a .223. 34 votes

Fixed zoom
    0%
    3-9
    2%
    ring 20 1 vote
    4-16
    2%
    IrishTarget 1 vote
    8-32
    79%
    johngalwaytriskell.243Scalachidos29jimmyzxfoxshooter243fish slappedmurph226No6kay 9bazza888CassFeidhlim DignanvixdnameGhost.tac foleymontevirgindrummerfitzy700 27 votes
    10-40
    14%
    TackleberrywhoianooBELOWaverageIQrowaGlensman 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

8-32
    4-16.

It gives you excellent field of view at 4x and plenty of magnification for longer shots. Bet ya stick it on 8x or there abouts and leave it there 95% of the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

8-32
    I would agree with johngalway that 4-16 would be plenty.
    I have a 6.5-20 and hardly ever take it off 10x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm using 6-24x50 on both my 223 @8-12 zoom and 308 @6-10 zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

10-40
    I have 6.5-20 on my lr, .223 and .270. I wind down to about 9x for target acquisition then I nearly always go straight back to 20x!

I think If I had an 8-32 I would use the 32x!

Saying that I shot for Ages with 6x42 fixed power scopes and I don;t know if I have ever shot so well...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

8-32
    I think a good fixed power is fine for most hunting, especially foxes. Less messing around with all the bells and whistles.
    A good zoom is handy if you want to go after bunnys at long range over 200yrds or targets.
    But Ive always found when I use a scope with a zoom I leave it a x10 most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I have a 6-24. Will defo be going for a higher power down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

10-40
    Glensman wrote: »
    I have 6.5-20 on my lr, .223 and .270. I wind down to about 9x for target acquisition then I nearly always go straight back to 20x!

I think If I had an 8-32 I would use the 32x!

Saying that I shot for Ages with 6x42 fixed power scopes and I don;t know if I have ever shot so well...

I always shoot on the highest power, be that 22x or 32x on my respective scopes.
    If the light is there use it.

In low light I would use my stalking scope on 5.5 as I prefer wider field of view to observe subtle movements.

This is not specifically related to teh question but it may help answer it.
    When Stalking with Paulo and 4Gun teh other day i could clearly see a Sika pricket @750 yards and see his antler on 22x, the guys on 10 and 12x could barely see anything at all.

They will tell you that them selves.

On my .223 I use it mostly for long range rabbits in summer and i shoot them on 32x. In winter i never go above 8x Unless I am shooting prone and I have a good lamp man.

Paulo picked up a sexy Zeiss Divari 6-24x56 last night that would make any .223 sing!
    It's really personal pref.
    Some guys do not like making adjustments on the hunt, I personally find it part of the craic. if you are hunting field of view is everything, the cheaper the scope, normally the narrower the field of view at the same magnification.

Just buy the best you can afford OP and you will not be sorry;)

Advertisement