Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip jars: sleazy or acceptable?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

So I got a job in a hotel, playing piano for three and a half hours with a half an hour break. This is my first week as an employee there; last week was my trial and the head waiter surprised me by hiring me on the spot! In general I'm against tip jars but I am aware it is an option. On the other hand though, this is basically my first week so it wouldn't leave a good impression, and the money is good anyway. What do people here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's not clear from your post but if you aren't being paid by the hotel then the tip jar would be acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If you are being paid by the hotel then I think it might not be looked on too kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Right, well I am being paid by the hotel so I didn't use a tip jar. A couple sitting in front of me gave me a fiver anyway though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

better not to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Malice wrote: »
    It's not clear from your post but if you aren't being paid by the hotel then the tip jar would be acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If you are being paid by the hotel then I think it might not be looked on too kindly.

This, you would be essentially busking on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

not if you're getting paid by the hotel, it'd look really bad TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Funny. I suppose I've been in the uSA way too long but I dont see any problem.

A "tip" is a sign of appreciation not an acknowledgement you're being paid too little (or not at all), it shouldnt have anything to do with how much you're being paid.

I'm sure the person who gave you a fiver wasnt thinking you looked malnourished. They were giving you an additional nod of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

People will tip you anyway with or without the jar I think. We always would anyway, and I think the majority of people would, especially if you're friendly and approachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you do a tip jar then are you going to do requests? The tip jar could mean you are approachable, no tip jar then I'd be inclined to leave you alone.
    Out of interest are there any tunes you'd Hate to have requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Armelodie wrote: »
    If you do a tip jar then are you going to do requests? The tip jar could mean you are approachable, no tip jar then I'd be inclined to leave you alone.
    Out of interest are there any tunes you'd Hate to have requested?

well last week i had someone requesting eric satie, and yesterday somebody wanted abba. couldn't do either. i have a set list of pieces i play, i try to add at least two songs to it every week. i wouldn't necessarily hate any requests, whatever is requested i write it down and add it to my list for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting use of the word "sleazy"

I'd imagine your employers probably wouldn't take too kindly to you having a tip jar if you were already getting paid. But if you brought it to their attention they might actually use it as a cue to reduce your pay.

Suppose there's nothing stopping you from leaving your up turned hat on the piano though. ;) It is coming into winter after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 panjero

Stay away from the jar TBH
    .Let people give you the paper stuff if they are feeling generous.

Advertisement