Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we have halloween off?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm a first year and according to my timetable I don't have the day off. Is this always the case?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yep, there's no official reading week in semester 1. If you're lucky your school or department will have their own reading week and you'll get the day off. Don't count on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Preppy wrote: »
    I'm a first year and according to my timetable I don't have the day off. Is this always the case?

Normally no, the place is a university, not a playschool. We have it off this year due to the Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Normally no, the place is a university, not a playschool. We have it off this year due to the Bank Holiday.
    But they have no problem giving us four months off in Summer? Why couldn't they bring us back a week early and give us that week at Halloween?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    But they have no problem giving us four months off in Summer?

That extra time is give to students to give them an opportunity to get work and do internships, etc.. I guess.
    Why couldn't they bring us back a week early and give us that week at Halloween?

As I said above. Halloween is a pagan tradition, not an official state holiday.

But they have no problem giving us four months off in Summer? Why couldn't they bring us back a week early and give us that week at Halloween?

There's a 3rd term during the summer for postgraduate courses. They have the year mapped out the way they do so that each term is 15 weeks - 12 teaching weeks, 1 study week and 2 exam weeks. If they put in a week off for Halloween you'd either be going back a week early in September (maybe not, not sure what way Semester 3 works out) or getting less time off at Christmas. Halloween is not very important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What's the purpose of the 2 week break in March? I think they should make that just one week, and have the other week in semester 1 - although that would still mean having to go back a week early in September I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

What's the purpose of the 2 week break in March?

It is a study break used for field trips and week long labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That extra time is give to students to give them an opportunity to get work and do internships, etc.. I guess.

As I said above. Halloween is a pagan tradition, not an official state holiday.

I as a Pagan will see fit and celebrate it, whether UCD deems it worthy of celebration or not.

We should protest about it, make real change!

You can still go out. You don't need a week off for 1 night's party.

You can still go out. You don't need a week off for 1 night's party.

The Christians get Christmas off, and that's even an official holiday. Us pagans need a week to celebrate Halloween

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

The Christians get Christmas off, and that's even an official holiday. Us pagans need a week to celebrate Halloween

You can come in over christmas then so :P

._. wrote: »
    You can come in over christmas then so :P

God no!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What's the purpose of the 2 week break in March? I think they should make that just one week, and have the other week in semester 1 - although that would still mean having to go back a week early in September I think.

As said before its for field studies. Up until 2007 it was a 3 week break

If you were really a pagan you would know that the RCC set the date for Christmas as it coincided with the mid winter which pagans celebrated. Jesus was really born sometime in the summer. What's more, you forget that 1 November is the Christen holiday of All Saints day, which, while an official Christian holiday, it is not a state holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

If you were really a pagan you would know that the RCC set the date for Christmas as it coincided with the mid winter which pagans celebrated. Jesus was really born sometime in the summer. What's more, you forget that 1 November is the Christen holiday of All Saints day, which, while an official Christian holiday, it is not a state holiday.
    Wow, you think this guy isn't really a Pagan? :eek:

Mind = Blown.

Well, I mean we need a couple of weeks off around December anyway because of hazardous weather conditions, so why no.

O.k you got me, I was lying! I just want a week off for halloween... I miss mid-term :(:(
    Well, I mean we need a couple of weeks off around December anyway because of hazardous weather conditions, so why no.

Well if it's this cold now, maybe we'll see hazardous weather more sooner than we expected!
    It was bloody freezing yesterday!

I as a Pagan will see fit and celebrate it, whether UCD deems it worthy of celebration or not.

As long as there are magic mushrooms and other hallucinogenics involved, I'll support ye!

As long as there are magic mushrooms and other hallucinogenics involved, I'll support ye!

Yes yes free mushrooms and cannabis for all! And.. and...
    sacrificing of trinity students in a big circle while chanting loudly and wearing cloaks and... and rock n' roll!

Yeah I think that should about cover it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

O.k you got me, I was lying! I just want a week off for halloween... I miss mid-term :(:(

And I miss mid-afternoon naptime. Welcome to growing up.

• Advertisement

I bet you can't wait until you get a job after uni!

Unless you are going for teaching...

Yeah I'll probably become a teacher cause they get all the good holidays innit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wait till your a postgrad, no time off over christmas for some of us, I spent every second day in here last winter doing cultures and keeping other students cell stocks alive.

Advertisement