Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re sublet/assigning lease

Options
  • 04-09-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

The situation is as follows. I've been leasing a 2 bed apartment with a friend of mine for the last 2 years(both names on lease). He's moving out, but i intend staying put. I'm happy to look for a person to take the empty room, but what is my best course of action in terms of the letting agent?

Should I ask them for permission to sublet the room or will a new lease be required? Also, if a new lease is taken out, would I lose my rights under section 4 of the Tenancies Act? Or would my rights continue, as I'd still be living there continuously?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think approach them early on and see what they / the landlord think.

As far as I know, this is a situation where there is a change of details, it isn't a new tenancy. You need to make this clear with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Victor wrote: »
    As far as I know, this is a situation where there is a change of details, it isn't a new tenancy.
    Yes, the PRTB guidance for this here

Advertisement