Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we get a "filter user's posts" button to see all a user's posts in a thread?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of times you'll post in a thread waiting for a reply to something, then when you come back to Boards later the thread has suddenly expanded by 10 pages. You can't even remember where your own post is, let alone the user you were waiting for a reply from! :D

An interesting solution to this on another forum I use has been to add a "Filter" button to each post. If you click "Filter", it displays the thread with only the posts from that user. So for instance, if I clicked "Filter" on this post, it would be like searching for all posts by hatrickpatrick within this topic.

The usual search format then could be used where you click the first line in the post to get back to that part of the overall topic and follow the conversation from there.

Would this be possible? It seems a lot less hassle than looking at all a user's posts and trying to find the ones from that thread, or using the hideously annoying search function (which I'm sorry, is just way over captcha'd at this point)

Could it be done?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you look at the forum page, the columns read "Thread/Thread Starter | Rating | Last Post | Replies | Views".

Under the Replies column you'll see the number of replies in the thread.

Clicking on that number will open a window showing who's posted in the thread, in order of how many replies they've made. Click on the number beside a user-name to see all of that poster's posts in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Good God.
    And I thought I knew everything there was to know about VBulletin :D:D:D
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would this be possible? It seems a lot less hassle than looking at all a user's posts and trying to find the ones from that thread, or using the hideously annoying search function (which I'm sorry, is just way over captcha'd at this point)

I was just able to search this thread for all your posts without using a captcha. I just clicked the "advanced search" option in the "search this thread" link at the top and entered your username in the field to the right. As I said, no captchas...

Though personally I find using the icon that brings me to my first unread post in a thread (the one to the left of the thread title) usually helps me follow a thread quite easily.

Advertisement