Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod warnings - on thread notification.

Options
  • 04-09-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure if this should be here or in Feedback - feel free to move it.

I have noticed that all over Boards a Mod will post a warning & the discussion continues onto a new page. Then a poster ignores the warning & says that they haven't read through the thread so they didn't see the warning.

I wonder if there could be a standardised procedure where the Mod could activate a symbol that appears on the top of each page to remind posters that a Mod warning has been given.

Some threads can run to many pages so it could be unreasonable to expect a poster to read all of the thread. It would also prevent others, who read the warning, to use this as an excuse & pretend that they didn't !
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from Helpdesk, it does seem more suited to Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Mods normally change the thread title to `Mod warning at post xxxx`, well the good ones do anyway..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can think of some threads that would be more like Mod warning at the following 20 pages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Mods normally change the thread title to `Mod warning at post xxxx`, well the good ones do anyway..:)
    No. The good ones do the logical thing and stick it in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ya it's pointless at having a mod warning at "post 354" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Seems pointless to put it in anything other than the first post.

I doubt many people are inclined to go searching through a thread for moderators note.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you are a mod and you put the warning/update in post 379 and then change the thread title to "MOD NOTE POST #379" you are a bad person and should have your mod priveliges revoked for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

if you are a good poster perhaps you wouldn't need to concern yourself with Mod warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mods have lives outside of Boards, and sometimes there isn't time to make notes in the title. Editing the first post to add the warning is a good idea, but again it may not happen due to being busy.

Most warnings shouldn't need to be iterated, and not every warning needs to be in the title or first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are lots of things that shouldn't be needed but the reality is that Mods often have to spend unnecessary time referring back to or repeating warnings. Given the level of internet technology I am surprised that there isn't a simple way of making it so that a Mod clicks a "button" which activates a Mod warning symbol say on the top of each page. Or even a system that repeats the warning at the top of each page.

This would also avoid people reporting posts that have already been reported & they would be aware that a Mod is or has viewed the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jor el wrote: »
    Mods have lives outside of Boards, and sometimes there isn't time to make notes in the title. Editing the first post to add the warning is a good idea, but again it may not happen due to being busy.

Most warnings shouldn't need to be iterated, and not every warning needs to be in the title or first post.
    I get that mods are volountary and have lives outside of boards.ie.

If it's a simple "Knock It Off" warning then fair enough throw it in anywhere, its just reminding them to follow the rules, but when it comes to a more important warning I find it hard to believe that any mod would say they are too busy to click "<-First" and "Edit Post". In the amount of time it would take to post a wanring and edit the thread title, it takes an extra few seconds to click to the first page and edit.

Putting it in the first post means anyone can easily click "first" for the page and its there. Putting it in post #xxx means you have to go looking through the pages for the post, and you can't give a rough estimate on the page number because users can have different posts per page. If someone didn't read it and a mod needs to link it, they have to go rooting through the thread to find the post again. You can't search threads by the number of the post either.

Its not a problem at all in small threads that only last for a few pages, but in large threads its just a nuisance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

RuggieBear wrote: »
    if you are a good poster perhaps you wouldn't need to concern yourself with Mod warnings

Mod warnings are not always related to poster behaviour.

One could be a good poster but be uninformed about a point of discussion.

There are many behaviours which are reasonable but are banned in some threads for the sake of brevity / consistency.

A good poster may not be aware of these rules and, say, quote a picture in you laugh you lose, or reply with chat in know your nerds or some such.

Doesn't mean they're bad / naughty / being a dick. Just unaware of the rules because of a lack of clear communication of those rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

-Corkie- wrote: »
    images_67.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

muffler wrote: »
    images_67.jpg

*Heads of to construction forum to troll*

Advertisement