Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satay (peanut) sauce in Limerick

• 04-09-2011 4:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a shop that sells this?

There used to be a bottled sauce, Blue Dragon iirc, but all I've been able to find by them recently is the sweet chilli sauce.

I know I can get small tubs of the satay from the local take-away, but I'd prefer to have something I could keep in the fridge for a while.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Cheong Heng Hong aka the Chinese Supermarket on upper Henry Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Saw Blue Dragon Satay pouch in Tesco Arthurs Quay. How about buying the raw ingredients and making your own?

Also see this recipe: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68949770&postcount=71

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RonMexico wrote: »
    Saw Blue Dragon Satay pouch in Tesco Arthurs Quay. How about buying the raw ingredients and making your own?

I'll probably do that next time. Have enough on my plate (pardon the pun! :p ) preparing the other ingredients for dinner.

Looks like it'll have to be take-away sauce today then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Asian shop up near Tait's Clock will probably stock it, I find them great for value and for advice. They are usually open late too which helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Proper Dutch/Indonesian peanut satay , just buy

some regular soy sauce 3 tbsp
    Peanut butter Smooth/Crunch 3 tbsp
    Brown Sugar 1 tbsp
    Chilli Powder 1 tsp
    Some Milk 1 tbsp

i feel im missing something from my list but that makes one incredibly good satay , possibly lemon i think hmmmm , i'll ask my bro :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

Beer Baron wrote: »

this is a great place to go for a wander around. Brilliant value on asian ingredients and fresh products too.

Its mainly used by the Chinese restaurants but its also open to the public.

Its beside the office of the Limerick Post newspaper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beer Baron wrote: »
    this is a great place to go for a wander around. Brilliant value on asian ingredients and fresh products too.

Its mainly used by the Chinese restaurants but its also open to the public.

Its beside the office of the Limerick Post newspaper.

I had a nice long look around in there two weeks ago trying to find coconut oil. They didn't have it (I eventually got it in Eats of Eden, Thomas Street) but they did have pretty much everything else.

I'll have to pay them another visit during the week for the satay sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Does anyone know of a shop that sells this?

There used to be a bottled sauce, Blue Dragon iirc, but all I've been able to find by them recently is the sweet chilli sauce.

I know I can get small tubs of the satay from the local take-away, but I'd prefer to have something I could keep in the fridge for a while.

Any ideas?
    I got satay sauce in Aldi only a few weeks ago, was beautiful :)

Insect overload if you get a chance try my reciepe above you will love it , coming from a dutch family this one of my fav dinners

RVN10 wrote: »
    Insect overload if you get a chance try my reciepe above you will love it , coming from a dutch family this one of my fav dinners

A Dutch United fan living in Limerick... Do you by any chance play astro at Villiers on Wednesdays? :)

• Advertisement

hmmmm do you also play for na pairsig ;) haha of course pal

hmmmm do you also play for na pairsig ;) haha of course pal

Had a feeling it was yourself! :) I'll try out that recipe during the week and get back to you.

Will probably pick up a bottle in Aldi/Cheong Heng Hong as well in case I get it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

im hungry now...thanks IO!

im hungry now...thanks IO!

Home-made Singapore fried noodles with skewered chicken and satay sauce.
    If I didn't spend so much time on-line I'd be one hell of a cook. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Lidl have them at the moment - but just a special so buy quick :)

No luck with Aldi or Lidl!

But...
    Proper Dutch/Indonesian peanut satay , just buy

some regular soy sauce 3 tbsp
    Peanut butter Smooth/Crunch 3 tbsp
    Brown Sugar 1 tbsp
    Chilli Powder 1 tsp
    Some Milk 1 tbsp

i feel im missing something from my list but that makes one incredibly good satay , possibly lemon i think hmmmm , i'll ask my bro :)

I am this minute eating some top quality chicken skewers coated in this delicious recipe. Nice one RVN10. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

due to have the blue dragon rep in next week to me in work ill ask him for ya and pm u details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tom, have you tried the asian food shop on Henry st?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tom, have you tried the asian food shop on Henry st?

Not yet. I'm sure they have it, but I just haven't been near that part of town this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Best satay sauce I made recently was using Mae Ploy yellow curry paste with coconut milk and crushed peanuts. I added more chili and sugar to taste and thinly sliced red peppers. Delicious and served with basmati rice.
    Never really had much luck with the satay sauces in jars tbh, I'm a real convert to just using either green/yellow or red curry paste and making the recipes using these as the base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Tesco ;)

Tesco ;)

Which one? I've tried Coonagh, Arthur's Quay and the Crescent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Tesco in the crescent. The peanut satay was in a black sachet (not in a jar)
    :D

Advertisement