Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading UPC from 25Mbit to 20Mbit

• 04-09-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi guys, Will there be any major issues downgrading my UPC connection from 25Mbit to 20Mbit. I have been with UPC over 1 year so I think the wireless router is mine now anyways and the 20Mbit connection is E10 cheaper than the 25Mbit connection with almost the same upload speed. Makes no sense to pay that much more for it.

Will there be any problems? I think there is a downgrade fee and I also think the DL limit will be a bit lower. Not sure though.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Your download limit on the 20Mb package is 500Gb per month. Can't answer the rest of your questions though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is it still an option? I thought the packs were 25/50/100mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yes you will be charged a downgrade fee.. or administration fee.. I took advantage of their contract update and downgraded for free.. Think that 30 days is up now though..

JDxtra wrote: »
    Is it still an option? I thought the packs were 25/50/100mb.

Yep - 20/25/50/100

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Thanks for the Info. Maybe its just me but I just don't really see a value to pay 10 euros more for just 5Mbit more DL. I just don't think that price strategy works well.

Oh well will try to downgrade this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

stall the digger as i think there could be a price reduction this week

thanks will wait a bit.

I got this email from UPC last week:

Please be advised that the lowest available pack with UPC from 5th September will be Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb as Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb will be upgraded to Fibre power 20Mb .

The Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb will be for €25.00 with an upload speed of 2Mb and Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb will be upgraded to 25Mb for €34.00 with an upload speed of 2.5Mb. Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb, 50Mb and 100Mb will not see any speed increase. The Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb will be for €45.00 only. The Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb will see a decrease in price from €65.000 to €55.00.

Please note that the upload speed for Fibre Power Broadband 50 Mb and Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb will be the same 5Mb and 7Mb. Also note that the Acceptable Usage Policy will be 500GB for all Broadband Products.

Ok downgrade was no problem at all. Wanted to upgrade to 50mbit for E3 more per month but not available. Now i got the 20mbit+phone but without any free calls for E31. A E11 Euro deduction for almost the same speed. As I mainly call via a free service for 90 days over the internet to landlines and mobiles (although they are not free just cheap) I rarely use the UPC phone anyways. Just did it to avoid the standalone fee.

I really feel now their 25Mbit offer is the worst deal compared to the other packages. Will upgrade to 50Mbit if it ever becomes available in Galway.

Oh was charged E10 downgrade fee but will make that up with the savings in the 1st month.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Hi Guys,

I have finished college and rang up UPC to downgrade our broadband speed from 25mb to 20mb so my family will only be paying €25 a month instead of €35 a month.

UPC told me that 25mb is the minimum for an existing customer and we are not allowed to downgrade, 20mb is only for new customers.

I believe this is bull as I searched there T&Cs and conditions of the 20mb broadband and neither of them state this. In addition, a downgradable fee of €10 is highlighted in the conditions of the 20mb broadband.

In addition, when we rang up we found out that we have been paying for two standard tv points in our house and we don't even no where these are. We have one UPC box downstairs and two upstairs. When it was installed UPC must not have disconnected our old pipe. Got them disconnected now but not getting reimbursed for years of paying this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

You can definitely downgrade to the 20mb dude, for any customer, not just new customers. you'll have to pay the €10 downgrade fee but thats it

Advertisement