Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one day by dave nicholls SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Options
  • 04-09-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

i have just finished "One Day" by David Nicholls. i really enjoyed it but parts of it bugged me, not the ending which was shocking and a surprise i couldnt have predicted but the fact that when they finally got together we find out it happened a few weeks before and now in paris we dont get the love scene that had been building up through the years . its all just a bit flat, it should have been on the 15th of july and full of finally released passion.i also think that the line "she died and everything she ever felt or thought vanished forever" was a great line coming at the end of an ordinary mundane chapter. anybody else have any views on this book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Hated it. Glorified chick lit with detestable characters who I found impossible to warm to; hence I didn't give a toss when Emma died.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a good read. I'm surprised it has become such a mega-hit, though.

Having said that, the film looks dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Hated it. Glorified chick lit with detestable characters who I found impossible to warm to; hence I didn't give a toss when Emma died.

Pretty much this. I was a bit disappointed when they got together. And when she died, I took so little notice, I had to flip back and read what had actually happened.

There was barely one likeable character in it. I don't need the characters in book I read to all be nice and personable, but you at least have to be interested in them - people you love to hate, or with a bit of intrigue, or realistic.

I felt like I was reading a soap opera and I detest soap operas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

The book is a well-crafted piece of popular fiction, entertaining, wiht a good pace. But yes, not quite worthy of the megahit status. The film is faithful to the book. But both left me feeling a bit flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

I really disliked this book. I thought it was very predictable and disliked the characters immensely. However everyone else I know who has read it really enjoyed it :eek: Even people who would usually have very similar taste in books to me which I found a bit surprising.

• Advertisement

^ Same here. In work today we were talking about One Day and one of the girls said that I was the first person she'd spoken to who didn't like the book. Glad to find some others who think the same as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I enjoyed it, have to agree though that them finally getting together was a bit of an anti-climax. I was expecting more. Was shocked at the ending - was expecting it to be soppy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

I was very underwhelmed by it...not much of a resolution and fairly unappealing characters. Very overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Have to agree, you know a book hasn't done it's job when you don't care when one of the main characters dies, it really fell flat for me and wouldn't reread it or bother seeing the movie!

I did go to the movie actually, despite despising the book, as I knew it couldn't be any worse. It was very very slightly better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement