Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading PC build

Options
  • 04-09-2011 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi. I am about to start my second PC build project. This PC will be used for day trading so needs to be stable and reliable. I also want 4 screens - 2 screens I already have and are 19.5" the other two will be 24". I have done a bit of research but dont know too much so appreciate any advice/changes etc.

Prices from Dabs.ie:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz LGA1155 6MB - €192.99
    Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 XMP- €51.67
    Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm SATA 3Gb/s 32MB - €48.07
    LiteOn 8x DVD-RW Slim USB2 LabelTag LightScribe - €38.93
    OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 700W - UK - €68.67
    Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler - €25.20
    XFX ATI Radeon 6950 HD 800MHz 2GB PCI-Express 2.1 x16 DisplayPort - €229.75
    Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case (Black) - €97.53
    Crucial 64GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive - €92.46
    Logitech MK520 Wireless Combo Keyboard & Mouse - €49.11
    Edit: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX

Total - €894.38

Two things I am not sure about:
    1) Need a good wireless card to access my home network - any recommendations?
    2) Monitor connections - do I need adapters or special cables? The two monitors I already have only have VGA inputs

All comments / advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I wouldn't recommend going wireless especially if your gaming and you want a lower ping you should use an Ethernet cable from your router to your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

If that PC is just for day trading, I would say its overkill. If gaming is a secondary use, then the build is just fine, but if its sole purpose is day trading then you have lots of expensive components that will never be pushed to anything close to their limits.

As for your second question, you will need 2x VGA to DVI adapters for your existing monitors. If your new monitors have HDMI input, then you'll need a displayport to HDMI adapter for one and a HDMI cable for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lorgan

thx guys. Unfortunately because of the way my apartment is set-up ethernet cable is not possible - has to be wireless.

Yeah - I am aware that it is a bit overkill but dont mind spending a bit more and will be good to have a system to play games on if the trading doesn't work out :p

Overall though - decent system? any improvements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Yes it looks good I also have the antec 900 it's great but it doesn't have dust filters so it tends to build up with dust there is an antec 902 which is an improved version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That comes to well over a grand once you add the cost of the mobo and shipping :o

€880 delivered:

HWVS040911.png

Generally the same spec all around minus the keyboard/mouse combo but with added wifi. IMHO there are a lot of cases that are heaps better than the original 900 nowadays :o

• Advertisement

That looks great Solitaire - always happy to save a bit of money and will probably mostly go with your suggestions :D

I read that a 2GB GPU would be required/better to run 4 monitors - is the card you suggested ok? Also, the mobo I had came highly recommended on another forum? Do others agree with the Solitaires suggestions?

Cheers - pretty much ready to buy so keen to get some last minute opinions /advice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oops! Forgot that it was a 1GB card!

It really depends on whether you want to game on all the monitors via Eyefinity or not. Generally you'd need multiple high-end GPUs to get decent FPS out of a whole bunch of 1080p monitors though :o If they were available over here the best setup is usually a HD6870 and a HD6870X2, effectively giving a normally impossible Tri-Fire HD6870 (as they cards only have one CrossFire header each) which can beat the stuffing out of a HD6990/GTX590 while being far cheaper. Anything else will be crazy-expensive, have cooling issues and won't really work too well on even a top-end LGA1155 setup as the lack of PCIe lanes would bottleneck you.

Two-GPU multicard setups are almost always considered more trouble than they're worth as the drivers are always optimised to emphasise raw FPS over stability for the marketing material, causing horrible jitter in real-life gameplay :( Three-GPU CrossFire/SLi is the logical first step beyond a single GPU as the drivers aren't optimised to pull off that ass-jerk and will remain silky-smooth ;)

hhhmmm - so would the 6950 1gb version be ok? I am not worried about gaming with eyefinity at high settings or anything but will have lots of data feeds and graphically displays running concurrently. Should I splash out the extra ~50 for the 2GB version and if so what is a good one?

Also the wireless card seems quite cheap - is there any limitations there? Is it worth paying a bit more to make sure there is a good signal / speeds? I will be using the wireless for internet connection and for streaming media.

Cheers

Final build - what do you think? The suggested mobo is not available so went with the only other one I know...

ASUS EAH6950 DCII /2DI4S/2GD5, AMD Radeon HD 6950, 2GB, PCI- Express 219,43 €
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 173,55 €
    4GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9 x2 43,84 €
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") 87,14 €
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) 46,19 €
    TP-Link TL-WN951N, 300Mbps PCI-Adapter 22,26 €
    XFX PRO650W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply 66,90 €
    NZXT Hades - Crafted Series, ATX, ohne Netzteil 67,31 €
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet 34,95 €
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX 146,87 €
    ASUS DRW-24B3ST Retail SATA schwarz Nero 9.0 20,96 €
    DVI-I auf VGA Adapt. DB-083672 DVI-I/St./ VGA HDSUB 15/Bu. X2 15,50 €

Total - 944

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I trade for a living and have 4 monitors running on a gtx260 and 8400gs, the gtx 260 is total over kill for trading but I play the odd game also so it serves me good. They drive 2 28inch and 2 24inch screens.

G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 1333
    Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor
    Crucial CT128M4Solid State Drive2 128GB M4 Solid State Drive
    Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
    EVGA Nvidia 8400GS 512MB 32-Bit DDR3
    EVGA 896MB GTX260 PCIe

I could even get rid of the 8400gs as this Z68 has onboard graphics for 2 monitors.

Would be total overkill for just trading but like I said I game a bit also.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

Thanks Keno - apologies but I am pretty new to this. Does that mean I could get the mobo you suggest and a card that supports two monitors and run a total of 4? What outputs does the mobo have i.e. dvi/avg?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I havent tested it yet seeing as the 8400gs is only 20 quid and I already owned it and the gtx260.

The mobo has dvi vga hdmi and display port inputs.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

I think I have my components right now but am a bit unsure. Can all you experts take a look and tell me if everything is going to go together etc. Appreciate any further advice:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A lot of that stuff is very out of stock. You could get a 550W PSU (e.g., superflower amazon, unless you want crossfire) and a different 6950 easily enough. You'll still have to wait until next week for the case though.

There's cheaper DVD drives unless that one is lightscribe or something.

The VGA adapters are kind of expensive. You should check to see if whichever graphics card you buy comes with one.

8GB of RAM isn't expensive these days - it could make your system more future resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Unless you are going to game off your trading pc: cut the radeon 6950, it's not needed....

Get the cheapest dual cards you can that will run the required resolutions you need. Its very easy to have a 4 screen layout running off two different cards.
    (I have setup 5 screen layouts: x2 duals cards and the 5th card running off onboard intel ****e....)

A radeon 6950 is a total waste of money and will increase your power requirements and generate extra heat and noise.

Tbh based off my experience: I have seen many a professional stockbroker working off pentium 4 total sh-it boxes. Any spec you make yourself is miles ahead over what the professionals have usually......

Concentrate on a good quiet case, a good cpu, decent amount of ram and and a good quiet psu. The SSD is def a default choice I would not do without.

I would also think about investing in quality monitors, a comfy office chair and an excellent desk. Also think about how you will mount your monitors: monitor poles may be worth looking at.

Tbh you can trim the cpu to a i5 2400 to save a bit there with no impact on day to day performance, the 2500K is only worth the extra money if you are going to overclock......

PS: as this pc will be used to earn money: what's your backup solution going to be? You will need to invest in some good imaging software and regularly back up your systems set.

I just placed this order: Woohoo

Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 151,12 €
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") 87,14 €
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) 46,19 €
    Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620 76,21 €
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA 16,63 €
    Sapphire HD5450 HM PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / VGA W/ 1G DDR3 VRAM x2 67,62 €
    Cooler Master HAF Mini 922M ohne Netzteil 91,70 €
    Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, Intel Z68, mATX 117,18 €
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet 33,84 €
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9 36,71 €
    Total 754.34

Thanks for all your advice – it always amazes the wealth of information here and the willingness to give thoughtful advice! Will update here how everything goes – and prob tap into that wealth of knowledge during my build :P

Advertisement