Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep in or out

• 04-09-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Do your hounds sleep inside your home or outside?

Read another thread and was chatting with someone today just wondering what you do? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My current dog sleeps in my bed.

My last dog slept in the stables with the horses because he started his life in a puppy farm and had serious claustrophobia his whole life, he could not cope at all with a closed door. The stables were no problem as there was a permanent escape hatch he could get out through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Kennel out back during the summer, in the kitchen in the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

My last dog slept in the stables with the horses because he started his life in a puppy farm and had serious claustrophobia his whole life, he could not cope at all with a closed door. The stables were no problem as there was a permanent escape hatch he could get out through.

:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Justask wrote: »
    :mad::mad:

Some dogs need to be kept outside, and it's not like he was outside, he was in a stable... It probably would have harmed the dog more in the long run to keep him couped up when he couldn't get out if he wanted to.

To answer your question though, my JRT's sleep inside, in the kitchen. All year round.

January wrote: »
    Some dogs need to be kept outside, and it's not like he was outside, he was in a stable... It probably would have harmed the dog more in the long run to keep him couped up when he couldn't get out if he wanted to.

To answer your question though, my JRT's sleep inside, in the kitchen. All year round.

Eh my :mad: was cos he was from a puppy farm NOT cos he slept in a stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'll just add that just because that's were his life began does not mean it's where I got him :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Aha! Sorry, my apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Inside. On the couch if they can make themselves look comfy enough. But usually in their crates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My two sleep at the end of my bed... well.. they're supposed to! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Two crates at night in hall, and two in the kitchen at night. Should put a poll up?

• Advertisement

One sleeps on my bed

One sleeps beside my sons bed

and one sleeps in the hall, he gets to hot and moves out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Most nights in the kitchen/dining room. If the boyfriend is away one of the smaller ones might sleep on my bed. Little hot water bottles they are. Lexi not allowed into our room at night as she snores very loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Both of them sleep in the kitchen/diner along with the cat, either on their (king size) bed or on the sofa or armchair in there.

To be honest I'd rather they slept in our bedroom but older dog can't/won't go up the stairs due to a bad leg and psychological issues so we don't let the younger/newer dog upstairs either (although she chances it sometimes!!) as it wouldn't be fair. In our last house (bungalow), when we just had older dog, he slept beside the bed in our bedroom, I loved him hopping up on the bed in the morning at weekends for cuddles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Normally one on my feet on the sofa and one snuggled as tight as she can get to my lap actually typing around her now :rolleyes:. Or if hubby lying on sofa then our boy stretches out in front of him on the sofa. Of a night both in crates in living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

The wolf hounds sleep outside in the hay house or stables , they start howling like mad if theyre locked in ! And the pugs are meant to sleep in the kitchen but they generally go into the spare bedroom and hop o
    n the bed :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco used to sleep inside in winter in the kitchen and outside in summer in the boilerhouse but for the past 2 summers we've had swallows nesting in the boilerhouse so they drove her mad! So she's inside full time and now her bed has migrated from the kitchen into the bedroom!

Last week we took in a foster dog (who we will be adopting, we've fallen in lurve!) and he is sleeping in the kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Inside, on the floor in my bedroom, two beside the bed and one underneath.
    As soon as I stir in the morning I'm surrounded by 3 doggie heads and the thumping of tails, great way to wake up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Our girl sleeps in the back room downstairs, in her bed mostly, it's her own room, nothing in it but her crate of toys, bed and blankets, and food. People make fun of us that we gave the dog her own room but she loves it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Both doggies in our bed. One on the feet and with one i have to share my pillow :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My three sleep together in a big dog bed in the kitchen. I wouldn't let a dog on the bed & definitely not in the bed :eek:

Two of mine had probably never been indoors when I got them - judging by their reaction to the washing machine, tv etc. But, with a little encouragement they moved permanently indoors. Now all three are warm, dry, safe & quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our first one started out outside then the weather got cold so we took her in and nevr went back out. Not she's been joined by another and they both sleep on the landing, her on a big donut bed and him in his crate :D Well unless we don't click our room door properly cause then we wake up to her on the bed beside us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Mine sleep in our bedroom, but are definitely not allowed on the bed... I am genuinely surprised that so many people on here do! They used to try sneaking up there in the morning, but at 5.5 stone each, they are not very sneaky :)

Kash wrote: »
    I am genuinely surprised that so many people on here do!

So am I & I am a serious dog cuddler :D Apart from the doggy breath at one end & the farts at the other, there are also the dirty paws plus all those bits that seem to end up in their coats :eek:
    The wolf hounds ...... And the pugs

That's some combination

Discodog wrote: »
    So am I & I am a serious dog cuddler :D Apart from the doggy breath at one end & the farts at the other, there are also the dirty paws plus all those bits that seem to end up in their coats :eek:

I'm surprised at you DD :pac:, when we bring the boys up for cuddles we clean their paws and brush out the coats, but I'd do this for the couches most of the time anyway.

They don't ever sleep in the bed overnight but on a sunday morning we usually get a lie in by bringing them up.

When we go camping though they are in/on the bed with us, keeping each other warm. :)

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm surprised at you DD :pac:,

Yesterday morning my eldest discovered a fish head - nice big Pollack eyes ! I explained that she was to "leave it" & I was pretty sure that she obeyed. Some hours later, with barely an arch of her back, she regurgitated the entire head onto the floor.

Had this of happened on our evening walk & if she slept on or in the bed, then I would be waking to a fishy "Godfather" movie scene :eek:

Discodog wrote: »
    Yesterday morning my eldest discovered a fish head - nice big Pollack eyes ! I explained that she was to "leave it" & I was pretty sure that she obeyed. Some hours later, with barely an arch of her back, she regurgitated the entire head onto the floor.

Had this of happened on our evening walk & if she slept on or in the bed, then I would be waking to a fishy "Godfather" movie scene :eek:

Off topic but if Coco is ever sick or needs to vomit, she goes looking for the nearest rug to vomit on. Never the wooden floor or tiles but always, always a rug. :o
    It always makes me wonder what goes through her little head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Both sleep outside in their kennel, they are rarely inside, if im home alone ill let them sleep on the mat by the back door until ive to lock up for the night but generally they have toddled off to bed by that stage anyway.

Because it's absorbent and wont splash her paws? Apparently this is why puppies like to pee on rugs and carpet instead of on the kitchen floor. :D

Whispered wrote: »
    Because it's absorbent and wont splash her paws? Apparently this is why puppies like to pee on rugs and carpet instead of on the kitchen floor. :D

Thinking back to when she was a puppy she didn't have that many accidents, she peed on the wooden floor or tiles (or anywhere except the puppy pads!) but she toilet trained in record time.

Never really thought she would consider her little paws!!

• Advertisement

She probably thinks that it will be less obvious. I have this vision of one our Boardie's doggies under the duvet & starting to heave. There would be this moment of waking up, trying to register what's happening & then realising that it's too late :eek:

Advertisement