Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible registration woes? How should I approach this?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I applied for a grant via the V.E.C. in Galway City. They returned the paperwork to me in the second week of August requesting additional paperwork; this request took me nearly two weeks to fulfil as I was caught up in the middle of moving my family and I out to B.F.E., Co. Sligo.

At this point in time the grant application has been sent in the last week and I've heard naught back. Registration for my course is in the coming week, and instructions to me are very clear: Present the fee up-front or show proof of a grant being awarded. I have neither, being typically piss-poor.

My situation is probably far from unique, but this is my very first time going to college as a student so I'm understandably stressed about it.

How should I approach this? Go to the Access/Admissions Office and discuss my problem? Turn up on the day and blag? Secure a short-term bank loan to cover it? Is it possible to contact the Galway V.E.C. to ask about the status of my application?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

in the same boat for AIT along with a load of friends, just turn up on the day, say you've applied for the grant and are waiting to hear, and that you haven't the dosh to pay up front! you'll be grand, you're definitely not on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coolbock

Hi all,

First ever post. Cant figure out how to actually to do it probably but need a little Guidance on something and it relates to this thread. So this is not a reply to the original post. Hopefully this is not some faux pas!

I am doing a Masters in D.I.T this September. I previously began a Masters six years ago but didn't complete it. Now with some loop hole I have been told that if five years have lapsed from your previous uncompleted course you may be eligible for a grant from the relevant county council etc.

I was wondering does anyone know whether this would also apply to the Course fees as well and not just the grant itself. I will add i'm not very confident of getting anything but the county council have said that i may be eligible for the grant and it would be foolish not to check what is available to me.

any help or comments would be great

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bronnye

Hello! I don't know if this will be of any use to you but I'm a second year in Sligo and i know a few people who still hadn't paid after halloween. I think that the people that work there know how wirey the grant is and are pretty used to it so just explain your predicament and they should be sound about it. Don't stress too much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It all worked out today. They didn't seem at all fazed by the lack of payment up front - which is great as I had a letter come from the V.E.C. yesterday requesting even more paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

Fenster wrote: »
    It all worked out today. They didn't seem at all fazed by the lack of payment up front - which is great as I had a letter come from the V.E.C. yesterday requesting even more paperwork.

Ah the good old VEC. If it's any consolation the forms should be dealt with in numerical order, so if you applied early they should deal with your grant form pretty quickly. we have four household members going to college this year, so no-one's getting registration money up front because I haven't got it. My daughter's at IT Sligo and she had to go in and say she hadn't got the money, too so you're definitely not alone. I now have to go through the same rigmarole with nuig and dcu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I should mark this [solved]

I went through three or four rounds of sending the VEC yet more paperwork before I was approved for fees.

Advertisement