Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students with kids - Advice??

Options
  • 04-09-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm about to go back to college full time and I'm trying to sort out the minefield that is childcare. Any suggestions/ advice on what options did/ didn't work for you? I'm trying to decide between nanny/ childminder/ nursery or some combination of them all and I'm not sure what's going to work out best. My course will be 9-6 for the most part but obviously money's an issue as I'm not eligible for grants etc and I have 3 kids, the oldest of which is 5! Any advice appreciated (obviously other than the fact that I'm crazy and shouldn't be doing it!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I haven't a clue what's the best for you but have you looked at the childcare place in TCD?? I know its very hard to get a place in but that's your first option I guess??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

Thanks Larianne, as far as I know they only do little kids and my oldest is in Senior Infants, I'm more looking for people's opinions on what is best in terms of flexibility/ cost/ sickness and whether they've had a particular solution turn out to be a disaster around full time college, badly phrased original post - sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ana36

Allie79 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm about to go back to college full time and I'm trying to sort out the minefield that is childcare. Any suggestions/ advice on what options did/ didn't work for you? I'm trying to decide between nanny/ childminder/ nursery or some combination of them all and I'm not sure what's going to work out best. My course will be 9-6 for the most part but obviously money's an issue as I'm not eligible for grants etc and I have 3 kids, the oldest of which is 5! Any advice appreciated (obviously other than the fact that I'm crazy and shouldn't be doing it!)

Hi Allie! First of all I wish you the best of luck with college! I am starting back too and have one child in primary school. I would recommend getting a childminder as you only pay by the hour or you could look into getting a live in nanny or an au pair. Since creche fees are so astronomical I suppose that's out (it is for me anyway!) Check out www.schooldays.ie for a childminder.

Also, look into getting financial help from your university. They should have a childcare grant which should help some what. Also look into the SAF and ESF funds. They are grants given by the European government and have nothing to do with the council. Talk to the social welfare officer in you university. Also, the credit Unions are giving loans with low interest rates at the moment.

I hope that helps somewhat!

Advertisement