Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny All Ireland SHC Champions 2011

Options
  • 04-09-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Well done today guys, everybody so proud of you. I'm pure delighted with the sweet win :D....
    Anybody know the drill for the homecoming Monday eve? Usually around 6pm isn't it return to railway station and down to Market Yard through town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some pics of todays game are here and the celebrations are here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Congratulations to the team.

Must have been some celebrations. A and E waiting room looks like a war zone. A black and amber war zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Must have been some celebrations. A and E waiting room looks like a war zone. A black and amber war zone.

Well done to the team.

A shame about the supporters though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

congrats to Kilkenny...............I know it's stating the obvious, but you've got some great hurlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Also succesfull in tidy towns ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A week later and still feels great :D..defo best win ever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Well done to the KK panel on the victory over Tipp. Must concede this was the final I was most nervous about in years given what was at stake. Made up we won. Had Tipp won we'd never hear the end of it and they would have been compared, by the media at least, to be the equal of this great KK team. A team which I don't foresee being bettered by anyone in my life time. Legends one and all. Great ambassadors for our county and just love the sight of the black and amber on the pitch. Yet another reason to be proud to be from KK.

PS: Mulhall's song was a bit of craic and at least shows the wider world there not a bunch of robots. Good crowd for the homecoming and decent atmosphere. Wish they could use the Castle Park and give it a proper lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

holyhead wrote: »
    Well done to the KK panel on the victory over Tipp. Must concede this was the final I was most nervous about in years given what was at stake. Made up we won. Had Tipp won we'd never hear the end of it and they would have been compared, by the media at least, to be the equal of this great KK team. A team which I don't foresee being bettered by anyone in my life time. Legends one and all. Great ambassadors for our county and just love the sight of the black and amber on the pitch. Yet another reason to be proud to be from KK.

PS: Mulhall's song was a bit of craic and at least shows the wider world there not a bunch of robots. Good crowd for the homecoming and decent atmosphere. Wish they could use the Castle Park and give it a proper lash.

Why won't/can't they use the Castle Park for homecomings. It was used on Sunday for the Cannonball Run event and there were no issues and problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'd imagine logistically it might pose more problems than volunteers can handle. People climbing trees (and they will) could cause damage and large crowds milling around on a heavily soaked grassy area would soon have the place looking like a campsite the week after Oxygen.

It would be the general taxpayer and not the GAA who would foot the bill as the Park is an amenity for all the public and not just GAA fans. ultimately as it's a GAA gig they really should head for Nolan Park, I think it would be an even better atmosphere to celebrate in the grounds where all the hard preparations were done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Be a bit of a short parade though :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That's true but then again there could be a bigger occasion made of it, a more festive affair when it's in a controlled space like nolan park. Dunnes Stores emptied out fairly quickly, there could have been more of a festive atmosphere around for families rather than just the usual pub orientated binging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

catbear wrote: »
    That's true but then again there could be a bigger occasion made of it, a more festive affair when it's in a controlled space like nolan park. Dunnes Stores emptied out fairly quickly, there could have been more of a festive atmosphere around for families rather than just the usual pub orientated binging.

They'd be hoping for good weather then. If it was lashing raining and 20,000 people crowded onto the field in Nowlan Park the pitch would get destroyed.

Also the parking facilities wouldn't be the greatest in comparison to having it right in the centre of the city. Having it in Dunnes means that people from Loughboy and that area can walk over and this would cut out a lot of the cars needed to get to Nowlan Park.

I think the Market Yard is a great location for the celebrations. The team bus can travel right down through the city centre and then turn down by BOI and head around by the back of the stage.

I understand what you're saying about the festive atmosphere but at the end of the day cash rules everything around us. The local publicans would go mad if the parade was moved because it guarantees them business. People go from the parade straight to the pub.

I know it may not be the greatest image to be giving out but it's vital money to the local economy. Nowlan Park is way off the beaten track with regards to this and it would hardly attract the same crowds because of this problem.It's a massive weekend in general and a lot of people would head out that night that may not head out all that often.

I hope they keep it down in the Market Yard. I have always had great memories of it.

Advertisement