Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant Places

• 04-09-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I'm currently due to study a course I'd happily do, accepted and all. However I would like to study in a different Uni. I am aware there may be no spaces in my desired course (I meet all entry requirements including points). The CAO has a vacant list which states

After Round Two, the Available Place facility operates on a weekly schedule of applications, offers and acceptances. Applications that arrive in CAO before 11:00 on a Monday will be processed and considered for offers on the following Thursday. An offer posted on a Thursday will be available to view on the CAO website the following day.

Does this mean the onus as it were is on us candidates to apply for a place and if there is vacancies they'll get back to us but they are finished advertising? Also can I use my current CAO account which has accepted a course to apply for the course I wish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That refers to courses that were advertised as having vacant places that couldn't be filled because not enough people applied for them. You can't just send in an application for a course in the hope that someone will drop out of it.

If say a place becomes available on a degree because someone drops out, or gets a better offer and leaves then they will look to the CAO and see if there was anyone else on the list that wanted that course that wasn't offered it in the first or second round and offer it to the person that had the next highest points for the course. There isn't an official third round as such but offers are made in this manner. A former LC student of mine got her first choice on a 'third round' offer when she had given up hope and was back at school repeating.

Advertisement