Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving ESB pole

• 04-09-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

The house that I'm getting ready to move into is a small cottage on a fairly sharp bend in the countryside. At the moment, the ESB pole is at the side of house next to the wall, with the line stringing across the road, dipping a bit low too.
    We're going to be having various diggers and trucks etc passing the pole and passing under the line soon enough, and I was wondering if it's possible to get the pole moved or to have the line restrung somehow? I had a skip delivered on Saturday and while the driver kept a weather eye out for the ESB line, the crane did catch on the phoneline, which is even smaller, so I'm kind of concerned now for workmens safety, not to mention that where the house is can catch a good bit of wind, and I'd worry about the line getting damaged in the winter.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is a matter for ESB Networks and not Electric Ireland. Phone 1850 373 999 and they'll assess the safety issue very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Cheers, I keep forgetting that they're two different entities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi dashboard_hula,

As Srameen has correctly noted above, this would be an issue for ESB Networks. Their general contact number is 1850 372 757, or for an emergency 1850 372 999. (Full contact details here).

The following link may also be of use:

Move an Existing Pole or Electricity Line

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 PCDave

Hi David,
    My sister is in the process of a planning application here in Kerry.We have 35KV power lines running through our lands and there is a "double" timber pole setup on the site which is making the siting of the house more difficult.Do the ESB accomodate the moving of these type of poles in this scenario? We have been given very positive indications that the application would be favourably considered having had numerous applications turned down. The KCC actually indicated that this site would be the only site they would consider for my sister's application.I see from your last link that the applicant would need to send in the successful planning application and mark the existing power lines but this is a chicken and egg scenario :-) in that if she sites the house where it should be then this will in all likelyhood be rejected by the planners based on the proximity of the power lines. Is there a possibility of getting an undertaking from the ESB to move the power lines if the planning application were successful and could this undertaking be attached to said planning application?The site is on a family farm and currently the NRA are building a bypass road through us so the ESB are already moving some of the poles.Is there someone who could come out and evaluate what she is trying to do?Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi PCDave,

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to advise you on this, as it is a matter for ESB Networks (a separate company from ourselves that operate and maintain the electricity network).

See my previous post above for info.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

PCDave wrote: »
    Hi David,
    My sister is in the process of a planning application here in Kerry.We have 35KV power lines running through our lands and there is a "double" timber pole setup on the site which is making the siting of the house more difficult.Do the ESB accomodate the moving of these type of poles in this scenario? We have been given very positive indications that the application would be favourably considered having had numerous applications turned down. The KCC actually indicated that this site would be the only site they would consider for my sister's application.I see from your last link that the applicant would need to send in the successful planning application and mark the existing power lines but this is a chicken and egg scenario :-) in that if she sites the house where it should be then this will in all likelyhood be rejected by the planners based on the proximity of the power lines. Is there a possibility of getting an undertaking from the ESB to move the power lines if the planning application were successful and could this undertaking be attached to said planning application?The site is on a family farm and currently the NRA are building a bypass road through us so the ESB are already moving some of the poles.Is there someone who could come out and evaluate what she is trying to do?Any information would be much appreciated.

Just for your own info its a 38kv line, it should have the name printed on it also, so if you have that when contacting your local office it will make things much handier. If it has a position number marked on the pole also give that as it will identify exactly which one is on your land. How big a job it is, will depend how much you need it moved. Only a small distance would mean a pylon wouldn't have to be put in, saving a lot of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Use the contact details on the link provided by David, above. DO NOT contact your local office. Contact the Contact Centre. Most ESB Networks offices do not have any customer facility; they are operations sites only, where technicians work from. They are not geared for first contact enquiries.

Use the contact details on the link provided by David, above. DO NOT contact your local office. Contact the Contact Centre. Most ESB Networks offices do not have any customer facility; they are operations sites only, where technicians work from. They are not geared for first contact enquiries.
    Davy wrote: »
    Just for your own info its a 38kv line, it should have the name printed on it also, so if you have that when contacting your local office it will make things much handier. If it has a position number marked on the pole also give that as it will identify exactly which one is on your land. How big a job it is, will depend how much you need it moved. Only a small distance would mean a pylon wouldn't have to be put in, saving a lot of time and money.

Thanks again for the input guys. :)

Advertisement