Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbraughan Sligo , good to rent??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

Thanks everyone for the replys still unsure of what I'm doing , I'll let you know what i decide to do but this ordeal is very stressful and it shouldn't be :/

Honestly.. Sligo is no better or worse than any other provincial town, you just have to be very street wise thats all, at least you are doing the ground work before you rent. You said that you have a car, this would give you an advantage over a lot of other students, you could try renting outside of Sligo town, like Collooney, Coolaney or Ballysadare etc, some very quite estates in those areas, all within 10 minutes drive of town centre, Houses would be a heck of a lot cheaper too.

Check out 'Daft.ie'. Just one more thing... stay well away from Market close / Market yard areas of town. best of luck :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Honestly.. Sligo is no better or worse than any other provincial town, you just have to be very street wise thats all, at least you are doing the ground work before you rent. You said that you have a car, this would give you an advantage over a lot of other students, you could try renting outside of Sligo town, like Collooney, Coolaney or Ballysadare etc, some very quite estates in those areas, all within 10 minutes drive of town centre, Houses would be a heck of a lot cheaper too.

Check out 'Daft.ie'. Just one more thing... stay well away from Market close / Market yard areas of town. best of luck :D

No way would I do that. Going out would cost you a fortune in taxis. You'd probably save money living in town if you went out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Stayed in rathbraughan for 3 months, didn't like the area, houses were getting robbed fairly regularly. Also lived in Market yard, never had a problem there, maybe its changed since, about 4 years ago. Try to stay as close to the college as possible, anywhere in ballinode would be ideal.Best of luck, would love to be back there again..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

Stayed in rathbraughan for 3 months, didn't like the area, houses were getting robbed fairly regularly. Also lived in Market yard, never had a problem there, maybe its changed since, about 4 years ago. Try to stay as close to the college as possible, anywhere in ballinode would be ideal.Best of luck, would love to be back there again..

when my daughter was looking for accommodation she was told Rathbraughan was rough

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

I would recommend harbour court or old quay court on lower quay street, its right in the town, they're grand flats, stayed there and loved it, only 15 mins walk in to the IT which you wont notice :) stay the hell away from Rathbraughan for the love of god!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

My freinds house was robbed while she was asleep a few weeks back,three days later the house next door was robbed also.

Wouldnt touch that estate with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Heleboo

Am just about to move out of rathbraughan, am the above posters friend :)

The house next door had a pane of glass in the front door broken and their laptop stolen, their wardrobes rifled through, all before 9pm in the evening. The guard had literally just left my house after taking statements about our robbery, the girl next door was out of her house a half hour, and this happened, with people walking around.
    The kids were flat out knocking on the door looking for "fags and a lighter for my da", my car had the lock messed with and sprayed with orange paint, luckily it came off, we'd a woman run into our house after 2am one night and stayed for an hour, she was running from another family, who turned up at our window looking for the woman.
    You've kids lighting fires at the back of houses, stuff going missing from gardens, I have a little boy and couldn't dream of letting him out the front for fear he'd be corrupted and come back in trying to sell me gates or something :rolleyes:

Steer clear OP, there are lots of places in sligo, I'm from the county of sligo so didnt know just how bad rathbraughan is, but now I wouldn't stick my worst enemy into it.

EDIT: Our estate agent for the new house told us their company won't even take on a house in rathbraughan and any students that call about renting they steer them clear. Not mentioning names though, not my place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

I know that Rathbraughan used to have a big student population a few years ago. A mate of mine had a property there rented to some students. When the academic year ended, the house was wrecked and doors were even missing from the house. I was a wild spot but I have no idea what it's like now, probably worse I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

So college has started back. OP, I presume you have moved to Sligo at this stage and have found somewhere to live. Did you take the place in Rathbraughan or did you decide on somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 rory0k

Heleboo wrote: »
    Am just about to move out of rathbraughan, am the above posters friend :)

The house next door had a pane of glass in the front door broken and their laptop stolen, their wardrobes rifled through, all before 9pm in the evening. The guard had literally just left my house after taking statements about our robbery, the girl next door was out of her house a half hour, and this happened, with people walking around.
    The kids were flat out knocking on the door looking for "fags and a lighter for my da", my car had the lock messed with and sprayed with orange paint, luckily it came off, we'd a woman run into our house after 2am one night and stayed for an hour, she was running from another family, who turned up at our window looking for the woman.
    You've kids lighting fires at the back of houses, stuff going missing from gardens, I have a little boy and couldn't dream of letting him out the front for fear he'd be corrupted and come back in trying to sell me gates or something :rolleyes:

Steer clear OP, there are lots of places in sligo, I'm from the county of sligo so didnt know just how bad rathbraughan is, but now I wouldn't stick my worst enemy into it.

EDIT: Our estate agent for the new house told us their company won't even take on a house in rathbraughan and any students that call about renting they steer them clear. Not mentioning names though, not my place!

Lived there a few years back, we were lucky enough not to get robbed but friends in another house were. Little knacker kids were a total plague, stealing bin bags, pelting rocks at windows, letting off firecrackers, calling to the door at all hours either 'carol singing' or looking for 'sponsorship'. One of our housemates was gullible enough to 'sponsor' them once, they were back nearly every other night for weeks. When I answered and refused to give them anything, they threw a rock and cracked the window. I suspect they were scoping places out to be broken into.

Then there were the drug dealers, who were regularly in and out stashing stuff in the long grass across the road from us

The only nice thing I can say about the place is that the landlord was an absolute gent. Couldn't find a nicer man. I feel sorry for him being stuck with a property in such a nasty part of town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement