Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killiney Towers Roundabout is being made narrower!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

Dutch roundabout in Den Bosch with smaller radius central island, grass verges to separate cyclists from circulating cars and no sharp angled turns for bikes.

Is there room for this design at Killiney Towers? I would have thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Bring in Dutch engineers now! :mad:

It would be far better than the gombeens we have here designing urban roads.

Eh...Proud to be Irish now?... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Eh...Proud to be Irish now?... :pac:

Of course - I'm Irish and proud of it. :)

However, what we have running this country (politicians, cronies etc) are not exactly our most intelligent are they??? I consider myself and many people here as intelligent Irish people - then there's the gombeen Irish that's running (err, I meant ruining) this country!

Time for a real republic!!! :cool:

Dutch roundabout in Den Bosch with smaller radius central island, grass verges to separate cyclists from circulating cars and no sharp angled turns for bikes.

...and isn't it much better and fair to all road users! Note that the entry/exits are not ridiculously tight for motor vehicles either while the grass verges separating the cycle lanes give far better sight-lines as well as allowing cars to yield to cyclists off the circulatory carriageway.

Yes, this is IMO an all round fair solution! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

...and isn't it much better and fair to all road users! Note that the entry/exits are not ridiculously tight for motor vehicles either while the grass verges separating the cycle lanes give far better sight-lines as well as allowing cars to yield to cyclists off the circulatory carriageway.

Yes, this is IMO an all round fair solution! :)

I notice that it's also perfect for buses and articulated trucks too. The cyclists appear to be much safer all around. However, in that particular video, there were one or two motorists who jammed on the brakes suddenly just as a cyclist went to cross. Perhaps, mild to moderate speed ramps just after the exits could sort this out. Aside from that, the roundabout in the video looks like a fair solution for all.:D

On the other hand, the proposed re-revision of Killiney Towers Roundabout has failed to make efficient use of the space outside of the proposed concrete section. If you look at the map of the proposal, you can see telltale signs of the original layout as well as the remaining concrete space. I do acknowledge the fact that the proposed entry/exit radii are 4/6 meters wider than at present which is a decent improvement but not perfect either.:) The redesign also appears to be slowing down progress significantly for cyclists in that they have to cross at each individual junction which is completely unacceptable:mad:. As has been pointed out here and many other threads, this is what puts the pseudo in pseudo-dutch roundabout design.;) Priority for pedestrians seems to have improved slightly but not much.:confused:

Bar pedestrians, cyclists and motorists are still hemmed in by each other due to the inefficient management of the space. I provided a map one or two pages back outlining another possible solution. This solution separates motorists and cyclists at crucial points. It is a work in progress as I am yet to add things like speed ramps/zebra crossings at the exits. It is loosely based on the original roundabout design. However, the width of the carriageway remains consistent the entire way around the central island. In the previous layout, the width varied erratically between 6.5 to 13 meters. In the following redesign, I have addressed the above inconsistencies by moving the entrance of Upper Glenageary Road forward by up 7 meters as well as building out other kerb lines by 2 to 5 meters. This enables the kerb to facilitate a mostly segregated cycle path. Nevertheless, here it is:

8191189808_becd6b249f_c.jpg

Feel free to give feedback!:D

• Advertisement

Well that's a lot better than what any official has come up with Patrick - I know some tweaks are needed here and there, but at least the basics are right... :)

Regards!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

All of the lines overlayed on the images of these roundabouts measure 70m (give or take a fraction of a meter)

Killiney Towers:
    232368.JPG

Random roundabout outside Utrict in the Netherlands, #1:
    232370.JPG
    Map | Street View

#2:
    232371.JPG
    Map | Street View

#3:
    232372.JPG
    Map | Street View

The three of those are in within 1km of each other.

Those roundabouts are actually in Nieuwegein, which is beside Utrict in the Netherlands. Here's another one from the same area... it's like Killiney Towers, but much smaller and without the kerb...

232374.JPG
    Map | Street View

This one, in Den Bosch, is about the same design but with a kerb:
    232375.JPG
    Map | Street View

Another one with kerb in a nearby area:
    232377.JPG
    Map | Street View

Another a few km from the above one, around the same design:
    232379.JPG
    Map | Street View

NOTE: All of the examples from the Netherlands are four armed roundabouts when the roundabout we're manly talking about has five roads joining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deadlyspot.com

Well said and pointed out @Monument.

I am still amazed that it is not like that even in any of the current proposals. Just do it right. This is the opportunity to do it right for now and the future of other roundabouts.

Having recently been there and seen that even with road markings, the current design isn't good enough to overcome bad driving.

Pushing the cyclist off to yield to everything because we are unable to deal with bad driving is simply not acceptable.

The Dutch design is that bit more straight-forward and has evolved over time to be what it is today. The NTA design is not too far away from the Dutch design. Why was even that not given proper doing on this implementation.

It's frankly absurd that people think of the movement of the car first and not for anything else.

The proposal that the council is working towards has switched the situation around only to make it worse for any cyclist that may try to use the cycle lane.

You can bet your bottom dollar that experienced cyclists will not be using the cycle lane, but will instead use the traffic lane. Then I'm sure there will be bad driver bullying behaviour.

I'm worried about the position the new design puts new / less epxperienced cyclists in.

How are you going to circulate past an exit arm. You will have to make a turn off and yield to exiting motor traffic, which will be coming from behind you. Then when it's clear, cross at the crossing and then get back onto the roundabout. Then repeat that as many exits that you need to pass.

It's madness. It makes far less sense than anyone can argue that the current design makes.

People and their cars!

Well said and pointed out @Monument.

I am still amazed that it is not like that even in any of the current proposals. Just do it right. This is the opportunity to do it right for now and the future of other roundabouts.

Having recently been there and seen that even with road markings, the current design isn't good enough to overcome bad driving.

Pushing the cyclist off to yield to everything because we are unable to deal with bad driving is simply not acceptable.

The Dutch design is that bit more straight-forward and has evolved over time to be what it is today. The NTA design is not too far away from the Dutch design. Why was even that not given proper doing on this implementation.

It's frankly absurd that people think of the movement of the car first and not for anything else.

The proposal that the council is working towards has switched the situation around only to make it worse for any cyclist that may try to use the cycle lane.

You can bet your bottom dollar that experienced cyclists will not be using the cycle lane, but will instead use the traffic lane. Then I'm sure there will be bad driver bullying behaviour.

I'm worried about the position the new design puts new / less epxperienced cyclists in.

How are you going to circulate past an exit arm. You will have to make a turn off and yield to exiting motor traffic, which will be coming from behind you. Then when it's clear, cross at the crossing and then get back onto the roundabout. Then repeat that as many exits that you need to pass.

It's madness. It makes far less sense than anyone can argue that the current design makes.

People and their cars!

Oh yeah, people are wedded to their cars...

...yawn, yawn, yawn...
    ...old school, tired and boring...
    ...yawn...

Would people grow up - it's integrated transport policy we want, not the partisan rubbish that the Killiney Towers Roundabout represents (in both the current design and proposed modification) - the proposed design is no better as it's just anti-cyclist. There are solutions that can accommodate all modes to a satisfactory degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deadlyspot.com

Oh yeah, people are wedded to their cars...

...yawn, yawn, yawn...
    ...old school, tired and boring...
    ...yawn...

Would people grow up - it's integrated transport policy we want, not the partisan rubbish that the Killiney Towers Roundabout represents (in both the current design and proposed modification) - the proposed design is no better as it's just anti-cyclist. There are solutions that can accommodate all modes to a satisfactory degree.

So are you saying the Dutch design is not good and we should all just use the very same road. Are you saying segregated cycle paths is not the place to get too.

So are you saying the Dutch design is not good and we should all just use the very same road. Are you saying segregated cycle paths is not the place to get too.

WTF?????

Have you read my posts???

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

If you read the previous posts, he's calling for better, Dutch-like solutions (see the video). I also agree with him that it's not a matter of people being tied to their cars. Most people don't really drive by thoughtful choice, but rather see it as the best (or indeed only) possibility. Provide good transport alternatives, including cycling, and honestly there's no reason why more people wouldn't be attracted to them.

enas wrote: »
    Most people don't really drive by thoughtful choice, but rather see it as the best (or indeed only) possibility. Provide good transport alternatives, including cycling, and honestly there's no reason why more people wouldn't be attracted to them.

So, in short: People are wedded to their cars!

monument wrote: »
    So, in short: People are wedded to their cars!

Well, I don't know, bearing in mind that English is not my native language, it seems to me that saying that people are wedded to their cars means that they are somehow obstinately devoted to it. I'm saying exactly the opposite: people use their cars because everything has been made for it to be or appear as the best alternative (or the only one in many cases). Many people in fact hate driving (at least, when it comes to commuting to work in rush hours every day), and my feeling is that many of them would happily consider an alternative if it was made more attractive.

So in short, people are not wedded to their cars, but rather tied to it.

The second installment for Killiney Towers Roundabout can be seen >>here<<...

...it's IMO no better for motorists in terms of geometry and a total downgrade for cyclists - appears like a big improvement for pedestrians though. In all, I think it's another screw up...

1) For cyclists - well they'd be confirming the date - 1st April...

2) For motorists - no cyclists to yield to as they are being put firmly in their place and forced to use the pedestrian crossings. While the exits have a radius of 10m, some of which are an improvement on the existing situation, many of the entries are being tightened up with narrower lanes and a 10m radius upon entry - many of the existing entries appear more generous looking at the plan. Why is this tightening needed now that ramps are being provided at the pedestrian crossings???

3) For pedestrians, it appears good - the crossings are being stepped back a bit from the circulatory carriageway which should allow them more time to judge exiting vehicles. The ramps should give the pedestrians a smoother crossing while slowing vehicles down. However, they will now have to interact with cyclists - many of them displaced.

In all, this design is bad IMO, totally anti-cyclist, while for motorists, it looks like a series of t-junctions upon a one way circular road rather than a roundabout. This is exactly why we need Dutch traffic engineers - I don't think our crowd have a clue about urban road design. I wonder how people in Holland would react if this trash was produced for a junction. I believe I came up with something better here (my shared motor/cycle concept) while Patrick Brophey came up with a design for a smaller roundabout with the existing cycle track left in place and a verge allowing better visibility for motorists. This was IMO close to the Dutch design.

Get the National Transport Authority out of road design duties now before any more public money is wasted - don't even let them look at a road layout plan again - let the Dutch do it!!!

Regards!

Do I actually see on-road as well as off-road cycle lanes? So what happens if a cyclist takes the former to circulate past one or more exits?? I think this is just going to multiply the chaos :pac:. I'll still be planning to stick to the main carriageway so :confused::rolleyes::confused:

Edit: Think I misinterpreted it - there's only one, raised, cycle-track. But it's doing the turn-your-back-to-motors-and-yield-at-all-unctions-you want-to-pass thing. (Same result - I'll be failing to touch it with a 10-foot bargepole)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

How much ****ing money has been pissed down the drain with this joke of a project. What was wrong with it in the first place when it was a simple roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

As a cyclist that uses this roundabout often i'll be ignoring the cycle lanes if i have to take that route around the roundabout. What a waste of money.

vard wrote: »
    What was wrong with it in the first place when it was a simple roundabout?

Nothing really. I still think that all the roundabout needed was a resurfacing job and minor alignment changes to accommodate a segregated cycle track (see my most recent map ;)). Some of it's major flaws are as follows:

• As far as I can see, the only people who will benefit slightly more from the proposed re-revision are pedestrians.
    • It is essentially a massive downgrade for cyclists who intend using the raised cycle track as they will now be forced to cross by foot at each junction. I can't see why cyclists would bother using it because it will slow their progress down significantly. As such, it is understandable why they might take to the main carriageway as it's the fastest and possibly safest option as per nomdeboardie and Andy-Pandy's latest observations. Inevitably, it's unattractive nature will deter cyclists resulting in low usage. Ultimately, the raised cycle track may either have to be rejigged or completely decommissioned.
    • While some of the junctions are marginally wider, buses and articulated trucks will continue to struggle especially with the addition of speed ramps at the entry and exits.
    Overall, the upcoming incarnation of the roundabout will be the worst it has ever been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Idiots wasting money. I am paying a ****ing wedge to these pricks next month in rates and this is the ****e they are pouring money into. Dun Laoire is a wasteland, shops are closing in every other village in South Co. Dublin and these tools are frankly pissing money away on useless crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The new design just looks like a sharper version of this to me.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The new design just looks like a sharper version of this to me.

Once again, the devil's in the detail. Most likely they were inspired by this Dutch design. But they got it completely wrong. The two major differences are that in the Dutch design, cyclists don't have those 90 angle turns to go round the roundabout; indeed, cars have a tight angle, which places cyclists and drivers at a very clear and visible position from each other. The other difference is obviously priority for cyclists, which is facilitated by the first point (tight angles reduces speed of cars and therefore likelihood that they yield to cyclists, better visibility for cyclists mean they can easily judge whether a car is going to yield or not).

As for the two way cycle track in the new design... no need for comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Idiots wasting money. I am paying a ****ing wedge to these pricks next month in rates and this is the ****e they are pouring money into. Dun Laoire is a wasteland, shops are closing in every other village in South Co. Dublin and these tools are frankly pissing money away on useless crap.

Its not Council money, its the NTA skunk works, or to give it its full title the National 'lets do experiments on unsuspecting road users' Authority

It is, however, all tax payers money from one source or another, and the publication of the 'final' design would be a good time to create some serious noise in the media and at the Minister/NTA/Councils door about what an utterly, unmitigated waste of time and money this exercise has been, not to mention the delays, hassle and stress visited on the users of the roundabout and those that live beside it. On top of the construction and revision costs, you have to factor in the salaries of those who wasted expensive time making it happen, that must be at least double the cost of the job on the ground.

I dont use the roundabout often enough nor at the right/wrong times for it to be blood pressure raising for me, but I wouldnt blame anyone who has been adversely affected for creating a big fuss about it. Looking forward to seeing a 'Dear Sir' in the IT!

We, the people, need to take this country back - who are these officials to make unilateral decisions - especially when they don't seem to know anything about roads. The NTA in it's current form is clearly something this country cannot afford - snip snip I think!!! Money would be far better spent on resurfacing of roads and footpaths, putting in proper dishes for wheel access (buggies, wheelchairs etc), proper lighting at busy junctions, more footpaths etc. BTW, as a former cyclist, bad road surfaces and aggressive dogs were my main problem.

In the wider context IMO, the people running (or ruining) this country are incapable (that's the 166 in Kildare Street, IBEC, Senior Civil servants etc) - at this rate, we'll end up losing our independence - that's how bad this country has become IMO - what will we have to show for ourselves in 2016???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We, the people, need to take this country back - who are these officials to make unilateral decisions - especially when they don't seem to know anything about roads. The NTA in it's current form is clearly something this country cannot afford - snip snip I think!!! Money would be far better spent on resurfacing of roads and footpaths, putting in proper dishes for wheel access (buggies, wheelchairs etc), proper lighting at busy junctions, more footpaths etc. BTW, as a former cyclist, bad road surfaces and aggressive dogs were my main problem.

In the wider context IMO, the people running (or ruining) this country are incapable (that's the 166 in Kildare Street, IBEC, Senior Civil servants etc) - at this rate, we'll end up losing our independence - that's how bad this country has become IMO - what will we have to show for ourselves in 2016???

1) Indeed, I dont see why we need a body to oversee the Councils, CIE Group, Taxis etc when the Department of Transport is supposed to do that. Its like another effing HSE in the making, and look how well that went.

2) Too late.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    1) Indeed, I dont see why we need a body to oversee the Councils, CIE Group, Taxis etc when the Department of Transport is supposed to do that. Its like another effing HSE in the making, and look how well that went.

+1

Indeed - what does the NTA do? Regulate Buses and Taxis - is that not what we have a department of transport for?; Oversee the delivery of light rail projects in Dublin - is that not what the RPA is for?; Oversee the operation of heavy rail services in Dublin - is that not what Irish Rail and CIE is for?; Devise urban road design standards oversee cycling infrastructure - why can't the NRA do that? - after all, they are developing cycle routes nationwide. To oversee all of the above, well isn't that what a Department of Transport is for?

In my mind, the NTA is a descendant of the anti-car movement in the 1990's - the National Transport Authority came from the Dublin Transport Authority (DTA) which in turn came from the Dublin Transport Office (DTO) around the early to mid 1990's - the time of the revolt against the imbalance in transport policy at the time when the car was king. The latest proposal for the Killiney Towers Roundabout clearly demonstrates to me the continued partisan mindset. I also don't happen to think that cyclists are really the priority in the case of Killiney Towers - it's just another old school car bashing exercise and a disgraceful waste of public resources - all that should be done for now is to remove the kerb the segregates the cycles track (so as to loosen up the turns a bit) and let the cyclists have priority on approach coming into the roundabout - I'd leave it as only traffic lane going around though. For the longer term, I would bring in Dutch engineers to devise a proper workable design for the roundabout - I would not let the NTA near it again (or any road junction for that matter).

On a general note, anti car thinking was hip in the 1990's - it may come as a surprise to the powers that be, but this is 2013 - so "welcome to the future guys!" :rolleyes: - I think it's well time to move on and develop a proper integrated national transport policy. I think it's time to scrap the NTA and bring in Dutch engineers etc to assist with our cycling policy. They are light years ahead of us in terms of cycling IMO. As for rail, we need to invest and we need that inter-connector (DART Underground).

We have motorways many would say - "GREAT :rolleyes:, clap clap" I'd say - with all the car tax that the successive governments have taken from the motorist, we should have had them decades ago - even now, where's the motorway down the west coast (M17,18,20)??? - Where are the interchanges for Dunkettle and Newlands Cross? Where is the Northwest motorway (M4) and the M11???. At this stage, the roads should be more or less done - we should be looking at getting our trains to Cork and Belfast up to 200kph so as to compete effectively with road transport. We should now have at least one rail connection to the Airport - in fact, we should probably be looking at a 200kph railway from Dublin via the Airport to Drogheda. It should be all rail now (Luas, DART, Metro, Commuter, Intercity), because all the roads should be done - if our authorities feel I'm being unreasonable, they'd do very well to remember who it is that pays their salaries (yes, we the taxpayer!) - so that's "sorry guys, no marks!!!"
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    2) Too late.

Well indeed it is, unless we change right now - we need to get off the drink and start thinking clearly and intelligently for ourselves - we need to think where we want to go as a nation - if we did even that by 2016, we'd have something to show for ourselves. We also need to get off this stupid property fix - it's property obsession that has us in the mess that we're in today - it's so obvious that it doesn't serve us - anyway, most people in this country own bugger all when it comes down to it! Time for a brave new world - time to rebuild, physically, economically and socially!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did anyone here contact their TD or the council about the roundabout?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did anyone here contact their TD or the council about the roundabout?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82138258&postcount=128

• Advertisement

I decided to email the transportation department of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council late last night voicing my concerns over the upcoming remodeling of the roundabout. Here it is:
    To whom it may concern,

I am writing this email in response to the proposed re-revision (Final layout) of Killiney Towers Roundabout. At first glance, it appeared to be an improvement on the current layout. However, on closer inspection, I noticed that some of the junctions will be slightly tighter. This raises a lot of concerns as to how large vehicles such as articulated trucks and buses will be able to negotiate the roundabout without a considerable struggle. First and foremost are the proposed speed ramps at each arm of the circulatory carriageway which could be problematic for such vehicles as well as the tight junctions. Moreover, in the current and proposed layouts, vehicles exceeding a certain length are expected to mount the cobble-lock buffer surrounding the central median which is potentially dangerous. While this enables buses and articulated trucks to gain extra maneuvering space, it increases the chances of the hind axle mounting the raised part of the central island.

Another concern is that it is a significant downgrade for cyclists due to the fact that they will be forced to cross each junction by foot if they decide to take to the raised cycle path. I cant's see how this is more attractive for cyclists given that it slows their progress down significantly if they intend on taking the second and subsequent exits. Having said that, I do acknowledge that it is a slight improvement for pedestrians. There is also an abundance of space outside of the proposed concrete and asphalt space which has gone largely underutilized which will be used for a rather minimal, yet superfluous amount of greenery as per the finalized proposal. Instead, much of this space could be used to construct a fully segregated outer cycle path.

I am attaching a map which better describes what I am talking about. This possible alternative solution separates motorists and cyclists at crucial points. It is a work in progress as I am yet to add things like speed ramps/zebra crossings at the exits. It is loosely based on the original roundabout design. However, the width of the carriageway remains consistent the entire way around the central island. In the previous layout, the width varied erratically between 6.5 to 13 meters. In the following redesign, I have addressed the above inconsistencies by moving the entrance of Upper Glenageary Road forward by up 7 meters as well as building out other kerb lines by 2 to 5 meters. This enables the kerb to facilitate a completely segregated cycle path. The circulatory carriageway would revert to being two lanes in width at 6.5 meters. Nevertheless, here it is:

?ui=2&ik=e3507350ef&view=att&th=13ca7836c034b136&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_13ca76e5e6685890&zw&atsh=1

The colour codes are pretty straight forward:

Dark Grey
    : Outer curb alignments.
    Grey: Junction medians.
    Red: Outer cycle track separated by concrete at crucial points. In the above example the cycle track would be raised. The cycle track itself would be roughly 2 to 3 meters in width.
    Green: Roundabout island.
    Dark Red Line: Outer carriageway boundary.

I designed the above map in Google Earth using Polygons and Paths. Using the Ruler tool, I was able to measure the width of the various elements for maximum accuracy.

I got the following response rather promptly this morning:
    Have passed on your query to our Traffic Engineers to investigate.
    You should hear back from them shortly.

I omitted the name of the replier for legal reasons;).

I'm not too sure if this is a copy and paste response. However, it was very brief and somewhat positive.

I certainly won't hold my breath. But, it's a start:D.

Advertisement