Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gaeltacht For Mid-Term?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I'm in 6th year now so I'm wondering if there's any really good Gaeltacht that has a course during one of the mid-terms? I'd only go if it was one where people spoke Irish all of the time, otherwise it's a waste of time. It'd be in preparation for the oral which is probably in April, so any course between Christmas and then. (Probably at Easter...)

I went to the Gaeltacht once before, to Camus in Colaiste Chamuis, and I think it's the best place ever to learn Irish (slightly biased but I can't imagine another Gaeltacht being better for improving Irish and having the craic!). :D They only do summer courses though, so I'm hoping to find the next best thing. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Sarah? wrote: »
    I'm in 6th year now so I'm wondering if there's any really good Gaeltacht that has a course during one of the mid-terms? I'd only go if it was one where people spoke Irish all of the time, otherwise it's a waste of time. It'd be in preparation for the oral which is probably in April, so any course between Christmas and then. (Probably at Easter...)

I went to the Gaeltacht once before, to Camus in Colaiste Chamuis, and I think it's the best place ever to learn Irish (slightly biased but I can't imagine another Gaeltacht being better for improving Irish and having the craic!). :D They only do summer courses though, so I'm hoping to find the next best thing. :pac:

Colaiste Sheosaimh in Galway. They do a brilliant mid-term course in February. I would highly recommend it! They give great notes on poems/dramas etc. The oral is highly emphasized on, as is the listening! Its like the normal Gaeltacht and is great craic- living with a bean an ti, ceilis gach oiche, sports and all:)! its about €350 i think, which includes your travel from either Dublin, Athlone or Limerick, but it was really beneficial and the teachers are amazing as most of them contribute to the making up of the exam papers:)! Here is their website link, they don't have the details about this years course up yet but they should have around late October/November . :)http://www.colaistesheosaimh.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Oh and there is a huge emphasis on speaking Irish all the time!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

smeal wrote: »
    Colaiste Sheosaimh in Galway. They do a brilliant mid-term course in February. I would highly recommend it! They give great notes on poems/dramas etc. The oral is highly emphasized on, as is the listening! Its like the normal Gaeltacht and is great craic- living with a bean an ti, ceilis gach oiche, sports and all:)! its about €350 i think, which includes your travel from either Dublin, Athlone or Limerick, but it was really beneficial and the teachers are amazing as most of them contribute to the making up of the exam papers:)! Here is their website link, they don't have the details about this years course up yet but they should have around late October/November . :)http://www.colaistesheosaimh.com/index.html

Completely agree! Best place for learning irish ever (slightly biased as well!) It's a great place though to learn Irish...I've only every done the Summer courses and they really do know how to have the craic while at the same time, enforcing the Irish only rule. I'm going down this February for the Cursa Cinnireachta so I can be a cuinteoir in June (I'm only in 5th year). I went down during the Summer and it improved my Irish so much! So I would highly recommend Colaiste Sheoisaimh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Sounds good... Would people there speak a bit of English if no teacher was around though? Or are they generally there because they want to speak Irish all the time? :pac:

Advertisement