Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has pay changed for unqualified substitutes?

• 04-09-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

In 2007/2008 I worked over 500 hours as a Substitute (unqualified) and was paid €47 per hour at the time.

I know there have been drastic changes to pay over past 3 years so can anyone tell me what is current rate for unqualified substitutes covering classes?

Also... I see there is a further 10% reduction in start wages to anyone beginning after January 2011. If I have been paid from the department as an unqualified substitute for all those hours in 2007/2008 does this mean I am not a "new entrant" to the system or because I have not yet done the PGDE does it mean I will go in as a new entrant after I do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Yes, unqualified teachers hourly rate was reduced also. If you go onto the ASTI website and look under pay and conditions all the salary info is there.
    I subbed in Ireland prior to my PGDE and the new Jan 2011 pay scale and now work in the UK. I have contacted the teaching council about what scale I would be on when I return to Ireland. They said that once you have been on their payroll before Jan 2011 that you are on the old scale. I presume therefore, when you are qualified you will start at point 3 on the old scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Thanks very much for the info. I will look it up now and contact the good old teaching council to see where I would enter the scale.

Can anyone tell me what the rate of pay is for an unqualified substitute teacher at present? I can't seem to find it. Also, I am registered with the teaching council as a Spanish teacher for Further Education courses. I have not yet done the Hdip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Printer wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the info. I will look it up now and contact the good old teaching council to see where I would enter the scale.

Can anyone tell me what the rate of pay is for an unqualified substitute teacher at present? I can't seem to find it. Also, I am registered with the teaching council as a Spanish teacher for Further Education courses. I have not yet done the Hdip.

According to the ASTI pay schedule, the new unqualified subbing rate has been reduced to €37 from €47.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭khan86

Does anyone know what the rate of tax is for the hourly qualified rate? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Sorry Printer-I meant to say that I contacted the payroll department from the department of education about my point on the scale, not the teaching council (they wouldnt know). The email address is PPPayroll@education.gov.ie. It took about 2 months for them to get back to me.
    There is no specific tax rate for hourly teachers. It depends on how much you are earning over the year. I cant remember the tax bands in Ireland but think its about 20% up to the 35000e or something plus you have tax free allowance in the form of credits. Have you worked in 2011 yet? If not you should ring the tax office and get them to send you a tax free allowance cert so that you won

• Advertisement

According to the ASTI pay schedule, the new unqualified subbing rate has been reduced to €37 from €47.

Wow, thats some drop in hourly rate! Has this been applied across the board then or just to new entrants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Wow, thats some drop in hourly rate! Has this been applied across the board then or just to new entrants?

And rightly so. €47 per hour for people walking in off the street to sub unqualified was farcical. They were coming out with more money weekly than teachers qualified years!

Yeh, very true.

Do the additions for masters and first class honours degree etc on ly come into play when you are on a full time contract or how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Yeh, very true.

Do the additions for masters and first class honours degree etc on ly come into play when you are on a full time contract or how does that work?

No, your degree allowances are added once you are in employment of any kind in a school (excluding the unqualified rate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Yeh, very true.

If you are entitled to the allowances, you get them, but obviously if you're on 11 hours, you'll only get paid 1/2 of the total possible salary. If on a non-casual rate e.g. maternity leave, you get the proportion of the total possible salary + holiday pay factored into the hourly rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trishy_Baby

Ok, so I've got my degree in Early Years, can I apply to be a substitute teacher? or how does this work? Also is there a certain place to register with or can I just hand my cv's around and say I'm available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Ok, so I've got my degree in Early Years, can I apply to be a substitute teacher? or how does this work? Also is there a certain place to register with or can I just hand my cv's around and say I'm available?

Unless you're a qualified primary school teacher, you can't sub in primary schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trishy_Baby

Unless you're a qualified primary school teacher, you can't sub in primary schools.

well that clears that up for me so. Thanks a million:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Advertisement