Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect up outdoor Christmass lights

Options
  • 04-09-2011 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I prommised my daughter that this year the front of the house would have some nice yet subtle Christmass lights on it (nothing tacky).

But Ive realized that I dont have any power on the outside front of the house

How do most people hook up their outdoor lights at Christmass time??

Do you fit an outdoor IP rated socket off an existing living room socket?

And where do people place their outdoor sockets on their house fronts?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea you could take it off an existing socket circuit, just put a double pole 20A switch on it so it can be isolated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

just put a double pole 20A switch on it so it can be isolated :-)
    Seriously, don't go there :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yea you could take it off an existing socket circuit, just put a double pole 20A switch on it so it can be isolated :-)

Do you mean a double pole switch off the internal double socket and then the outdoor socket wired out through the wall off the double pole switch??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just get led lights, adaptor in the house, and run the led lights out. Low voltage cable can be extended easy, and windows or doors can be closed on it.

I would put the lights on a timer so you don't have to remember to turn them on and off.

You can get a plastic enclosure for €20 in athlantic that would house a power bar and timer etc... Although a big tub-a-ware container would probably do the same job.

• Advertisement

I soldered up an LDR switch to get back into the electronics when i was back at the electronics stuff doin that tractor project last year, turns the xmas lights on in the garden when it gets dark, off in the morning.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Just get led lights, adaptor in the house, and run the led lights out. Low voltage cable can be extended easy, and windows or doors can be closed on it.

I didnt know that you can run the light out througn a window and close it safely too.

I would put the lights on a timer so you don't have to remember to turn them on and off.

You can get a plastic enclosure for €20 in athlantic that would house a power bar and timer etc... Although a big tub-a-ware container would probably do the same job.

I only looked at that enclouser today in Woodies in Airside,Swords.

paddy147 wrote: »

I didnt know that you can run the light out througn a window and close it safely too.

Ye should be able to if its a little low voltage wire to LED xmas lights. Thats what i do anyway.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I soldered up an LDR switch to get back into the electronics when i was back at the electronics stuff doin that tractor project last year, turns the xmas lights on in the garden when it gets dark, off in the morning.

I guess it would be possible to invert the output from this to run the fountain out the back during day light :-)

If your not putting up loads of lights I would do as Robbie says, use low voltage led ones and put the cable out the window. You might just need to unwind the cable a little at the point it goes out the window, so it's nice and flat. The cable is usually very thin...

• Advertisement

I guess it would be possible to invert the output from this to run the fountain out the back during day light :-)

If your not putting up loads of lights I would do as Robbie says, use low voltage led ones and put the cable out the window. You might just need to unwind the cable a little at the point it goes out the window, so it's nice and flat. The cable is usually very thin...

It would be a longish string of those icicle style LED lights draped accross the house front at gutter height.

Its driving a relay, so to invert, all thats needed is to use the NC contact for daytime operation of a device.

Advertisement