Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you drink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

ahhhhh talk to Frank will ya :P

:pac:

ironically i have a friend called frank who is a pioneer and he's always giving out to us about drinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

few cans? wrote: »
    ironically i have a friend called frank who is a pioneer and he's always giving out to us about drinking!

Bet ye if ya handed him a bag of weed he'd go oooooo :eek: were did you get that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

I drink cos I like feeling nothing, no fear, no anxiety, no anger, no worries

Bet ye if ya handed him a bag of weed he'd go oooooo :eek: were did you get that :D

he used to have his drug problems as a teenager so we tend not to give him any grief ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

There's nothing better than kicking back after a stressful day with a few beers, it doesn't have to be lots just a couple does the job

• Advertisement

actually i take back that 'ha ha' it was no laughing matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Q: Why do you drink?

A: To forget.

Q: To forget what?

A: Fuc'd if I remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

wouldnt actually mind a couple of cans now, two or three while watching a film on a week/ weekend night does be nice, but i might have to do taxi duty later, and collect my father from the pub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Because it makes you feel good, that is what alcohol does, there are better tasting things but they have no kick.

I love a night with a good DVD and a 6 pack of hino, but not to often, because .........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It takes the edge off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Not many people know this, but I am an elephant.
    I drink......to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Argh I only have bottles of beer, damn this thread! I have to be up at 7.30 anyway, probably just as well.

To answer the question, I usually drink because I enjoy the effects of alcohol, few cans or a bottle of wine with a movie is a pretty sweet way to spend an evening really.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

Jess16 wrote: »
    Because they can :pac:
    YES WE CAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Argh I only have bottles of beer, damn this thread! I have to be up at 7.30 anyway, probably just as well.

To answer the question, I usually drink because I enjoy the effects of alcohol, few cans or a bottle of wine with a movie is a pretty sweet way to spend an evening really.

hey nothing wrong with red wine on a friday night with a girl who likes drinking it to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Why NOT drink during the week? Didnt realise there was yes-days and no-days to alcohol. Its far healthier to have 1-2 drinks a night every night than it is to have 10 on a friday or saturday.

I like to come home from work, crack open a bottle of red wine and have a couple of glasses. Try not to do it every night granted, but its a nice way to chill out after a stressful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't really. But sometimes a cocktail is nice. Or a baileys coffee.
    Not to the point of being tipsy or drunk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ohmydayz

realies wrote: »
    FYP
    A minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon.

Four worms were placed into four separate jars.

The first worm was put into a container of alcohol.

The second worm was put into a container of cigarette smoke.

The third worm was put into a container of chocolate syrup.

The fourth worm was put into a container of good clean soil.

At the conclusion of the sermon, the Minister reported the following results:

The first worm in alcohol - Dead

The second worm in cigarette smoke - Dead

Third worm in chocolate syrup - Dead

Fourth worm in good clean soil - Alive.

So the Minister asked the congregation -

What did you learn from this demonstration???

Maxine was sitting in the back, quickly raised her hand and said,

'As long as you drink, smoke and eat chocolate, you won't have worms!'

That pretty much ended the service...
    Absolutely brilliant..just what i needed to smile before work this morning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

To take the ****ing edge off, alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I drink in two instances: to relax and to get hammered when I'm out.

One or two beers just helps me relax, especially if I've had a tough day or I'm watching the football or I want to get work out of my head.

When I go out, I drink to get drunk, to enjoy the feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ohmydayz

I don't drink either...it's great to have a clear head..live life to the fullest. enjoy running walking or whatever..just being able to be, your truth self, without cloudy judgements or a hangover ( not nice)...and be able to have as much fun as anyone without it.:) i dont think drinking home alone in the house is any fun, i think if people really had a choice they wouldn't. Good for you realies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I drink to forget. I've become so good at it I've can't remember what I'm supposed to forget anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I drink because I like it. That said, I don't drink as much as I used to, say when I was 19-20 because I just can't anymore, the hangovers just aren't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

ohmydayz wrote: »
    I don't drink either...it's great to have a clear head..live life to the fullest. enjoy running walking or whatever..just being able to be, your truth self, without cloudy judgements or a hangover ( not nice)...and be able to have as much fun as anyone without it.:) i dont think drinking home alone in the house is any fun, i think if people really had a choice they wouldn't. Good for you realies. :)

Each to their own. I don't know why people who don't drink feel that those who do aren't getting the best out of life as they are. Good for you if you can have fun without it but I have yet to see a post from someone who enjoys drinking in moderation (be it a weekday or a weekend) criticise a person who goes to the gym 7 days a week or eats tofu on a week night.

If a person has to ask the question "what enjoyment do people get out of sitting in front of the TV drinking wine/beer" then no amount of answers will answer you as thankfully everyone has the freedon to do what they want when they want. I'd love to know what enjoyment people get walking around hilly fields for 3 or 4 hours hitting small balls into 18 various holes but I'll finish as I started, each to their own.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Existential thread is existential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

ohmydayz wrote: »

Hey there judgey, how's the judging?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Because I love the feeling of the first beer after a few days off, a nice cold murphy's or guinness cooling my throat after I take a deep gulp. I love the feeling after 12 where I am floating on air, confident that I am the sexiest man alive and could have 200 women a night. I even love the feeling the morning after when memories start coming back and I see all the faces I was talking to last night. I love the taste, texture and feeling of drinking, the social inclusion, the complete happiness. I drink because it improves me as a person while relaxing me completely.

I am currently without a single drink for 15 days and have 6 to go. I haven't felt this sad for about 7 years. But I'm out to prove to myself that I can go without it even though I don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Love me Saturday session, up to the pub early, meet my mates, few beers, few bets, watch the sport, loads of banter getting progressively drunker throughout the day.

Great release at the end of the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

To enjoy myself; I have more fun at parties/nights out when I'm drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Because it's healthy. I don't drink enough, in truth. Should have a nice glass of red wine more often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

sometimes I'm stressed; sometimes somebody's leaning too heavy on me again and, through my own fault, I'm unable to tell them to back off; sometimes there's a match on during the week; sometimes I meet up with a friend I don't get to spend time with too often; sometimes a friend needs to let down their guard and rant about what's upsetting them; sometimes it's just Tuesday. At these times, a few cans are perfect.

Advertisement