Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fermoy Credit Union Tour Of The Knockmealdowns Sportif Date Changed to Sunday 18th

• 04-09-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up, one of the last blasts of the year.

I noticed the change of date for anyone planning to do the Fermoy Credit Union Tour Of The Knockmealdowns Sportif. Date Changed to Sunday 18th September.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/fermoy-cycling-club/61849147426
    (think cycling ireland web site is wrong ?)

Sign on Colaiste An Chraobhin, Start 10.00. Route - Ballyduff, Lismore, The Vee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Did this last year. Its a nice spin especially up over the Vee (it was my first time going over it) they also have a nice bit of food at the finish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

is anyone doing this? stumbled across the thread and am tempted. Any details re cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

I am probably going to do it.

I dont know where I got the idea from, but I think its 20 euro. I could be wrong. I think the route is 85k, loop around from fermoy towards lismore and up the vee, back round to fermoy. Friend of mine says its an enjoyable event.

Sign on Colaiste An Chraobhin, Start 10.00. Route - Ballyduff, Lismore, The Vee, Mitchelstown. Contact Michael O'Connor 087 4107097.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

The details for the Fermoy CC Tour of the Knockmealdowns.

Sign on Colaiste An Chraobhin, Start 10.00. Route - Ballyduff, Lismore, The Vee, Mitchelstown. Contact Michael O'Connor 087 4107097.

€20 non CI members
    €10 CI member
    Remember to bring your Licence.

Link to Route:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/23274684

There will be a refershment stop at the school in Clogheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fintydingdong

Is it on the 25th like the Irish Cycling.com site says?

• Advertisement

Is it on the 25th like the Irish Cycling.com site says?
    not according to the facebook page which says it has changed to the 18th ;)

Sorry didn't relaise I forgot the date.

It has been pulled back a week to this Sunday 18th September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Gonna head down for this if I can get my car sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

murph226 wrote: »
    Gonna head down for this if I can get my car sorted!
    You need your bike, rather than the car ;).

I am most likely going for this one as well.

Course Update
    To avoid clashing with a pony club event in Ballygiblin, the route now takes a right turn in Ballyporeen and heads for Kilbehenny. It will take the first exit at the Firgrove roundabout and go straight through Mitchelstown rather than taking the ring road.

New route below

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/50418974

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Hope to make this, all going well, could do with a good spin (after a recent arrival) :)

Hope to make this, all going well, could do with a good spin (after a recent arrival) :)
    I will see you tomorrow then ;).

Do we know how many cyclists we can expect (and how many Boardsies)?

There's four od us coming up from Carrigaline tomorrow. I'm the only boardsie though.

Note:
    Out of respect for large funerals in both Clogheen and Ballyporeen this Sunday 18-Sep-2011, Fermoy Cycling Club has decided to changed the route for this years Tour of the Knockmealdowns.
    The route will now leave Fermoy on the N72 heading for Tallow Bridge. Then on through Lismore for Cappoquinn. The climb for the Vee starts in the town, following the R669.
    Refreshments will be in the car park at the top of the climb.
    From here the route turns back on itself heading for Lismore. Care should be taken on this descent as the road surface is poor in places.
    Once back at Lismore Castle the route will turn right heading on the R666 signposted for Ballyduff. This is the reverse of the first section on the original route.
    This route is slightly longer at 57 Miles (91 Km)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/50874146

Yikes another route change, can't be easy re-organizing at such short notice, fair play.
    Here's my alternative route, 3 nice climbs:

We seem to have lost the cat 3 climb, which is a shame...

See you all there! Leaving soon..

Just got home, that was some wind going up the vee!

Well that was a nice blast, especially the 17km ascent of the Vee from Cappoquinn into a gale force wind, it made the 2% gradient feel like 20% :eek:
    Luckily enough we got around without getting wet :cool:
    As usual the tea, sandwiches, cakes & biscuits were a welcome treat afterwards.

Just got home, that was some wind going up the vee!

I wouldn't have called it wind, more a hurricane.

For those of you at the back of the group near the start, I was in fact the prat that came off. Hope I didn't scare or hurt anyone :(. I looked for the guy who's wheel I rubbed as I came off, but all I could remember was that he was wearing red, if you are reading this, or know the guy in question, sorry! Also a massive thanks to the guy that stopped and helped me put my chain back on..

Aside from that, I thought it all went very well. Lost the lead group just before the Vee, and ended up tackling most of it by myself. Stayed with two lads at one point, one in a Galtee wheelers jersey, the other in a Rás one I think. After I reached the top, me and my buddies waited for the fourth to make it to the top, took a quick breather and set off again. After a while, we caught up with two from the Carrigdhoun cycling club and one guy in a Discovery team jersey. From there really, it was just a painful sprint back to Fermoy. There was a chap in a Sean Kelly jersey too, who did most of the work and kept our pace up. Don't know whether to thank you or curse you :pac:

Back at the carpark, there wasn't too many in before us, and there was a nice enough spread in the school to munch on. All in all, well worth the 20 euro.

My only complaint was on the descent from the V, there was one sharp S bend that really should have at least been signposted, if not marshalled.

• Advertisement

The road surface coming down from the vee was torture, shook the **** out of me!

yes, the wind up the vee was savage, never seen so many riders weaving around looking for protection from the guy in front (even the skinny teenagers). One accident at the top of the vee, overtaking car caught a guys bike as the bunch spread across the road in the final 100m, he was ok, some damage to the bike. Another accident on the way down (didnt see that), again I think the guy was ok; not sure if he was the one with the grazed chin.

the spread back in the school was the best I have seen for a large variety of cakes, and the nice homely feel of a smaller local sportive. Anybody thinking of doing this sportif should do so next year with a spread like that on offer for 10 euros. Congratulations to Fermoy CC for organising.

Its a shame some more local riders didnt attend, we passed two groups of 20+ on the Vee coming in the other direction, one from Dungarvan and another not too sure what group they might have been.

It was great to have the youngsters at the front at the start, but...it sure was a waste of a savage tail wind ! Cant have it both ways. So, on balance the right thing to do for a local sportif.

Had a 'nice' cycle on the way back mostly hanging on to a kanturk riders wheel. I was pleased I didnt get dropped, as Ive been behind this guy a few times on other sportives, and hes a realistic benchmark for where I want to be.

Cheers, Fermoy CC:)

I second that, the food was top notch!

I wouldn't have called it wind, more a hurricane.
    That was something I have never experienced on the bike before. Unbelievably tough piece of the Route.
    The road surface coming down from the vee was torture, shook the **** out of me!
    Yeah, I have to say, the buzz from the road surface was shakingly uncomfortable.
    After I reached the top, me and my buddies waited for the fourth to make it to the top, took a quick breather and set off again. After a while, we caught up with two from the Carrigdhoun cycling club and one guy in a Discovery team jersey. From there really, it was just a painful sprint back to Fermoy. There was a chap in a Sean Kelly jersey too, who did most of the work and kept our pace up. Don't know whether to thank you or curse you pacman.gif
    I left The Vee on my own (as I was on my own anyway) and was flying with the tail wind for a while before I needed to stop for pee. Then I got passed by the big guy in a Sean Kelly jersey and I stayed with him until we reached Lismore, when a group of about 6 cyclists joined us (that must have been you :)) and the torture started. I was not strong enough to stay anywhere near the front, so I closed my eyes and I just kept pushing the pedals. I was wearing a black-yellow jersey and I can only say thanks to the strong guys for pulling us along (especially the man in the SK jersey). And I am sorry for being so passive at the back of the group, but I was barely able to keep up. I have been cycling for 5 months only and my fitness level is... well, not as great. But thanks to the strong riders, today's Event was my fastest cycle since April, when I started cycling.
    Back at the carpark, there wasn't too many in before us, and there was a nice enough spread in the school to munch on. All in all, well worth the 20 euro.
    The food at the finish was excellent. Congratulations and thank you all involved in organising this Event and all people I have had the pleasure of cycling with. I really enjoyed the day :).

Seweryn wrote: »
    I left The Vee on my own (as I was on my own anyway) and was flying with the tail wind for a while before I needed to stop for pee. Then I got passed by the big guy in a Sean Kelly jersey and I stayed with him until we reached Lismore, when a group of about 6 cyclists joined us (that must have been you :)) and the torture started. I was not strong enough to stay anywhere near the front, so I closed my eyes and I just kept pushing the pedals. I was wearing a black-yellow jersey and I can only say thanks to the strong guys for pulling us along (especially the man in the SK jersey). And I am sorry for being so passive at the back of the group, but I was barely able to keep up. I have been cycling for 5 months only and my fitness level is... well, not as great. But thanks to the strong riders, today's Event was my fastest cycle since April, when I started cycling.

I remember you alright, you were on possibly a Boardman, yeah?

I was on the black canyon with the white and blue fdj jersey and black arm warmers. That was a damn tough cycle alright. I nearly killed myself trying to keep up and do my share at the front. Probably should have stayed at the back with you :pac:

I remember you alright, you were on possibly a Boardman, yeah?
    I was on a black-yellow Cannondale, but it looks similar to the Boardman, yeah ;).
    I was on the black canyon with the white and blue fdj jersey and black arm warmers. That was a damn tough cycle alright. I nearly killed myself trying to keep up and do my share at the front. Probably should have stayed at the back with you :pac:
    I also remember you passing by occasionally. The savage speed (in my standards anyway :D) was the possible reason we never got a chance to chat once. I was trying to catch up my own breath for most of the time, never mind the top of the group :pac:.
    Talk to you soon at some other Event ;).

Seweryn wrote: »
    I was on a black-yellow Cannondale, but it looks similar to the Boardman, yeah ;).

Saw you too on the rollout, very coordinated with all that black and yellow :cool: (just jealous, styles never been my forte)

seve65 wrote: »
    Saw you too on the rollout, very coordinated with all that black and yellow :cool: (just jealous, styles never been my forte)
    Thanks, I live in Kilkenny after all :pac:.

Advertisement