Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music

• 04-09-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello! :) I'm thinking about taking up Music for the Leaving Cert, i am in 5th year, i have been playing the traditional flute for about 9 years and at the risk of sounding arrogant i would say i am good... I can kind of read music, I wouldn't be able to read it very fast but i know which notes are where, has anyone sat it for the LC? Would i be able for it after not having it done for the JC? What is the workload like? Thank you in advance! :):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Hi Roberth.

What workload? It's the easiest exam I ever sat. If you do the practical elective, you get 50% for performing 6 songs for an examiner! Everyone gets around 48/50 in this as long as they know their tunes. :)

The other 50% is 25% listening, 25% theory.

The 25% listening involves hearing studied and unstudied pieces of music, and describing what you hear.

The 25% theory involves learning specific theory off and regurgitating it in the exam. e.g. you could be studying a piece by Bach and you'll learn in school what a "melisma" is, if there is melisma in the piece. When your Bach song comes up in the exam (all 4 of your studied songs will come up in the exam), it'll ask you what is a melisma. Simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

I took up music in 5th year after not doing it for my junior cert and I never found it difficult! Since you'v been playing the flute for that long your bound to be excellent and do a good practical which is 50%! the listening and written paper arent that difficult either, the listening is basicly just learning off musical terms and knowing parts of the studied songs and youl ave plenty of practise with your melody and harmony :) Basically by just listening in class every so often and doing a good practical i managed a b1 in my leaving cert this year! its most certainly one of the easier subjects if your any bit musical at all! Goodluck with it if you decide to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

roberth wrote: »
    Hello! :) I'm thinking about taking up Music for the Leaving Cert, i am in 5th year, i have been playing the traditional flute for about 9 years and at the risk of sounding arrogant i would say i am good... I can kind of read music, I wouldn't be able to read it very fast but i know which notes are where, has anyone sat it for the LC? Would i be able for it after not having it done for the JC? What is the workload like? Thank you in advance! :):D

Hello Robert. . .

I was in a similar position to you, except I had a very good grounding in musicianship. . .

If you are a B/C student, this subject is a godsend. . .little to no work will usually give you a C, and usually 50% of students get a B. . .

However, if you are after the A1, the exams are often marked harshly, and the A1 rate is only 5%, and the A rate around 12%. . .and bear in mind that most people sitting the exam are above and beyond the required performing standard. . .

If you're looking for 600pts, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. . .otherwise, its a perfect choice. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rebelgirl2010

I would defiantly recommend you choose Music as another subject. You will easily get your 50% for the practical, and the rest is very doable in the two years...I got a B1 in my own LC, but as I am repeating this year I want to repeat music again to gain points. does anyone know places in cork that offer music outside of school other than cork city music college? advice would be gratefully appreciated as i start next week :)

Advertisement