Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60km/h Through the Gap

Options
  • 04-09-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Going to Lifford today noticed a 60km speed limit through most of the gap. I know there is road/verge works going on there Mon-Fri but what is the story if you are caught doing more than 60km today.
    The powers that be would have caught literally thousands of motorists today. The 60 kmh signs are attached to regular poles and are the small (1 ft diameter ) signs. Shouldn't these be removed at end of work Friday ?
    Didn't this happen a few years ago also and dozens eventually got speeding fines overturned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

irish1967 wrote: »
    Going to Lifford today noticed a 60km speed limit through most of the gap. I know there is road/verge works going on there Mon-Fri but what is the story if you are caught doing more than 60km today.
    The powers that be would have caught literally thousands of motorists today. The 60 kmh signs are attached to regular poles and are the small (1 ft diameter ) signs. Shouldn't these be removed at end of work Friday ?
    Didn't this happen a few years ago also and dozens eventually got speeding fines overturned.

Has happened a few times as far as i know. Happened on the Sligo road just outside Rathcormack, also happened on the good ol N13 too.

I never happened accross an "officail" speed trap, but I know / have heard of people who have had the misfortune of coming accross them. I have curiously seen a worker standing with a handheld speed gun during the day, weekday, with a clipboard in the other hand, I'm guessing it was some sort of survey?

edit: thats a lot of happened, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jamesy2011

as far as i know, they are not official speed limits so if your caught with the speed camera van you wont receive a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jamesy2011 wrote: »
    as far as i know, they are not official speed limits so if your caught with the speed camera van you wont receive a fine.
    Yeah I think thats probably the case here.

However temporary speed limits can be applied on any county roads and anyone breaking these can be fined and/or have points added to the old licence. But this entails notices being placed in local and national papers and signage of a certain size to be placed in an advance position along the road before it can become "legal". Im not sure of the exact requirements but it's something along those lines.

I dont recall seeing any notices in the local papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

There were notices about these works in the Public Notice Section of the Demo about 1 month before they started.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish1967 wrote: »
    There were notices about these works in the Public Notice Section of the Demo about 1 month before they started.
    Oh oh! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it just verge works? Many sections of that stretch need resurfacing IMO (though I noticed they've marked the newer tarmac'ed sections too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Total waste of time and money...no real improvements made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its just a ploy to make you slow down and go into Biddys !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

AFIK Happened once on the road past the Milltown pub (frosses/inver), put up speeding signs, carried out the work, and left the signs up.
    Garda speed van (saving lives) caught loads of ppl, including a hearse (fully laden) and cortege and issued tickets. Some ppl paid the fines, others appealed and won, had the tickets quashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Firblog wrote: »
    AFIK Happened once on the road past the Milltown pub (frosses/inver), put up speeding signs, carried out the work, and left the signs up.
    Garda speed van (saving lives) caught loads of ppl, including a hearse (fully laden) and cortege and issued tickets. Some ppl paid the fines, others appealed and won, had the tickets quashed.

Driving from Donegal Town towards Ballybofey I see the 60km/h sign but haven't seen it inthe other direction. That's not to say it ain't there but you could be caught easy

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Driving from Donegal Town towards Ballybofey I see the 60km/h sign but haven't seen it inthe other direction. That's not to say it ain't there but you could be caught easy

Correct. Noticed that also. So each side of the road has different limits. Only in Donegal ! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

byte wrote: »
    Is it just verge works? Many sections of that stretch need resurfacing IMO (though I noticed they've marked the newer tarmac'ed sections too.

As far as I know, there's going to be six kilometres of resurfacing down that way.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

byte

Noticed some resurfacing this evening. Also told there were 3 sets of traffic lights. Though no harm in resurfacing some of that track

Considering the traffic on it, it seems to not get enough attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

doc_17 wrote: »

Driving Ballybofey/Donegal tonight, noticed 60kph signs outside ballybofey, beside old house with riteprice kitchens? advert on it; miles away from any roadworks...

byte

Woops, that means we were speeding yesterday evening so.

I did notice a 60km sign just past the Left turn off for Castlederg before the Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

OP did you see an actually speed trap on that section of road? Or are you just paranoid/worried?

Well put it like this. I'll never get a speeding ticket on it !

Advertisement