Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice

• 04-09-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Basically, I've just started fifth year and I am contemplating taking up music in exchange for biology as I know points wise I can do much better in music.

The two fields of career I'd be looking at is business or IT - I was just wondering, regarding not doing a science does It come into play much in these sectors for collage courses? (I'm doing Geography, which I believe accounts for science in certain institutes?)

any advise on the matter would be fantastic,

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Kevin! wrote: »
    Hello,

Basically, I've just started fifth year and I am contemplating taking up music in exchange for biology as I know points wise I can do much better in music.

The two fields of career I'd be looking at is business or IT - I was just wondering, regarding not doing a science does It come into play much in these sectors for collage courses? (I'm doing Geography, which I believe accounts for science in certain institutes?)

any advise on the matter would be fantastic,

thank you.

I've heard people say that Geography can be taken as a Science. But when I was looking at Medicine/Pharmacy/Physio/Science courses over the past few years, I never saw that TCD, UCD, DCU, NUI Galway or RCSI would take it as one. I'd be really surprised if it is for a significant amount of courses, or if any at all, because there is no mandatory lab work for Geography. Biology was always counted as one though.

If you're seriously considering IT, perhaps Computer Science, I'd think that HL Maths could be important. Business courses, like those in UCD, don't need any Business subjects, as far as I remember. (Obviously though you need to pass the usual, English, Irish, Maths and have a modern language..) Computer Science is supposed to be really hardcore- I know lots of people that have failed it in 1st Year Science or dropped out of it completely. But that's only from my experience, it might be fine for people that like it!

Really you need to get on websites and look at prospectuses. There's a lot of Business/IT courses out there so I can't say anything to cover them all! Qualifax.ie and CareersPortal.ie are both great sites. I'd say to you if you think that you can get more points out of Music, go for it- but if you'd like to get into Sciences, a lab science like Biology can be a requirement for most courses in the bigger institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 niamh17

if music is what you would prefer do it don't suffer through biology if there is a subject you would prefer music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

wayhey wrote: »
    I've heard people say that Geography can be taken as a Science. But when I was looking at Medicine/Pharmacy/Physio/Science courses over the past few years, I never saw that TCD, UCD, DCU, NUI Galway or RCSI would take it as one. I'd be really surprised if it is for a significant amount of courses, or if any at all, because there is no mandatory lab work for Geography. Biology was always counted as one though.

If you're seriously considering IT, perhaps Computer Science, I'd think that HL Maths could be important. Business courses, like those in UCD, don't need any Business subjects, as far as I remember. (Obviously though you need to pass the usual, English, Irish, Maths and have a modern language..) Computer Science is supposed to be really hardcore- I know lots of people that have failed it in 1st Year Science or dropped out of it completely. But that's only from my experience, it might be fine for people that like it!

Really you need to get on websites and look at prospectuses. There's a lot of Business/IT courses out there so I can't say anything to cover them all! Qualifax.ie and CareersPortal.ie are both great sites. I'd say to you if you think that you can get more points out of Music, go for it- but if you'd like to get into Sciences, a lab science like Biology can be a requirement for most courses in the bigger institutions.

thank you for your in-dept response, it is a pleasure to receive such help for nothing and it's appreciated.
    niamh17 wrote: »
    if music is what you would prefer do it don't suffer through biology if there is a subject you would prefer music

I handed in my subject change form today, I decided that I wouldn't need a science and that the points would benefit my career more - off topic the above post was 1k haha

Advertisement