Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miriam Meets

• 04-09-2011 11:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I can't see a thread on this yet. I'm not sure what people think of Miriam O'Callaghan but she's definitely a babe - MILF I believe is the current most apposite expression. :P

That's neither here nor there as it's only radio but I increasingly like this Miriam Meets format. Today Colm Tóibín was on with his friend, while last week there was an excellent interview with Pat Wallace, the head of the National Museum of Ireland, and his wife, Siobhán Cuffe. Wallace spoke about his career, his work in Wood Quay, the politics he encountered in fighting to preserve heritage and so much more. They talked about how they bought and restored a medieval castle and other interesting things.

Another Miriam Meets in the past year was with Desmond Fennell and his daughter Natasha Fennell. He spoke about getting tired of Dublin in the late 1960s and moving to Carna in the Conamara Gaeltacht with his wife and young family for a less commercial life. He went on about how their life changed one night while the two of them were in the sitting room with the door open listening to their two young sons talk in their bedroom. The kids were talking entirely in Irish and from that the language of the home became Irish, with Fennell and his wife continuing to speak with each other privately in their own first language of English. It was an extraordinary interview.

An archive of all the shows can be found here

I think I like the format because there are so many interesting life experiences, events and changes which people talk through. They talk about their successes and failures - Tóibín today, for instance, was talking about how awful he feels when he reads a bad review of something he has worked on for so long. The interviews usually leave me with something to think about and relate to my own life and often to think of alternative ways of living life. What are your views on this show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Wouldn't be her biggest fan- the ubiquitous Miriam is far too over exposed on RTE these days. Also find Prime Times HSE obsession a bit wearisome somtimes.

But this is a good show. Its a simple but effective format and she seems genuinely interested in her guests. Particularly enjoyed the one with Risteard Cooper and his father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Once you can endure the horrible D4 accent ,I guess it's passable.

"Moi ghasts todaoiy owr........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I often listen to a few of her podcasts back to back on long journey and I really enjoy the format too.

I was never a fan of former Minister Mary Hanafin and I was tempted to skip her programme when it popped up on my iPod, but I'm glad I didn't as Mary gave a very moving account of her husband Pat Leamy's death and her love for him. (Pat was a well known barrister & regular contributor to Sam Smyth's Sunday Supplement). It is an excellent interview and it helped to remind me that we are all human at the end of the day. (even politicians).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Once you can endure the horrible D4 accent ,I guess it's passable.

"Moi ghasts todaoiy owr........

Rather that than a Dubbelin one any day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

tallpaul wrote: »
    Rather that than a Dubbelin one any day...

Indeed, but would a normal neutral accent (like Pat Kenny) be not too much to ask for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

As long as she shuts up and lets the guests do the talking ... I can't abide that phony accent of hers and when I hear her smarmy 'oh, that's so sweet' comment I puke.
    As already said she is way too exposed by RTE ... as someone said they have her doing everything except the Angelus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I like Miriam on Prime Time, but I too find her bootlicking nauseating when she does non-serious stuff.. I know she's a nice person and all that, but I would prefer is she distanced herself a bit more from the guests... far too palsy with them in my opinion..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What the hell is Gabriel Rosenstock on about ?

"There is no such thing as life and death because we were never born".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mario was hilarious this morning, taking the piss out of his uncle for pretty much the full hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Lapin wrote: »
    What the hell is Gabriel Rosenstock on about ?

"There is no such thing as life and death because we were never born".

hehe. Hilarious. Must check it out later. I have a huge meas for Rosenstock because years and years ago, before RnaG closed at 7.30pm each night, Rosenstock used to be on from 7pm talking in the most wonderful, mellifluous Irish I had ever heard. It was inspiring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement