Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice needed

• 04-09-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi, ive recently inherited land and would like to get involved in feeder cattle.
    Ive been told that Angus would be the best to bring in, but im stuck at what age to do so.
    Do I bring them in at 8 odd months and fatten until theyre 18 months? or fatten them and get them out the door at 13 odd for a faster turnover? Which would be more profitable?
    All silage would be off our land... Barley is already grown with Corn also planned for next year so that cost isnt there and the cattle would get high level, alternate silage. would quality silage allow me to fatten them for a bit longer?
    Maybe i buy them a little older?
    What would be the best way to go about it?

All cattle brought in would be the best quality that i can find..would keeping them for a bit longer risk some sort of depreciation? or is it simply reach a target weight and sell?

Are there any links to beef societies etc that could supply me with some sort of guidelines?
    All advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

hi, ive recently inherited land and would like to get involved in feeder cattle.
    Ive been told that Angus would be the best to bring in, but im stuck at what age to do so.
    Do I bring them in at 8 odd months and fatten until theyre 18 months? or fatten them and get them out the door at 13 odd for a faster turnover? Which would be more profitable?
    All silage would be off our land... Barley is already grown with Corn also planned for next year so that cost isnt there and the cattle would get high level, alternate silage. would quality silage allow me to fatten them for a bit longer?
    Maybe i buy them a little older?
    What would be the best way to go about it?

All cattle brought in would be the best quality that i can find..would
    keeping them for a bit longer risk some sort of depreciation? or is it simply reach a target weight and sell?

Are there any links to beef societies etc that could supply me with some sort of guidelines?
    All advice is greatly appreciated.

try here
    http://www.irishangus.ie/html/certified_angus.html

http://www.angusproducergroup.com/news/opportunity-for-farmers-to-get-into-the-black

one with kepak one with aibp

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 buckshot220

thanks very much

Advertisement