Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this router solve my problem?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I've tried a couple of Wireless N routers but both were very poor for signal range. When placed downstairs had no signal upstairs and vice versa. They would just about reach from the hall into the next room. As far as I know there is no interference going on.

Would this have a better signal that a "standard" N router:

http://bit.ly/nZguxH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Would this be better, i.e., have a stronger signal, than your everyday Belkin or other N router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Probably not, you cannot defeat the laws of physics, ie the walls and concrete structure of your house are blocking the signal. Run a cable and add a second wireless device on a different channel to cover the area

Is it the case that all wireless (N) routers have the same signal strength, or none have a signal strong enough to pass through concrete slabs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

shayser wrote: »
    Is it the case that all wireless (N) routers have the same signal strength, or none have a signal strong enough to pass through concrete slabs?

Exactly. If the router is dual band and uses 5Ghz for "n" mode (like the one you posted), then the penetration would be even less as 5Ghz has half the penetration of 2.4Ghz. You would be better off in this case with a standard 2.4Ghz "g" router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Unless your streaming HD content or big files, I've never been next or near my N speeds. As said, for the moment G is more than adequate in my eyes.

All routers are capped at 100mW of output power, so no router is going to give you drastic more coverage.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. Not disputing anything that has been said but I'm surprised to hear that all routers (of a type) are the same and that there is nothing out there that will provide coverage to an upstairs from downstairs or vice versa. Will I give a G router a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

shayser wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear that all routers (of a type) are the same and that there is nothing out there that will provide coverage to an upstairs from downstairs or vice versa. Will I give a G router a go?

Thems the laws of physics for ya:)

You can do it alright but you'll be exceeding the legal power limit.

Advertisement