Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Really dumb question here but how does one learn to fly a micro light if they only have 1 seat? Where would the instructor sit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Really dumb question
    In a 2 seater version :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

rudders wrote: »
    Really dumb question here but how does one learn to fly a micro light if they only have 1 seat? Where would the instructor sit?

most microlights have 2 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

I see a few people on this thread have failed the medical because they have a lazy eye. I have a lazy right eye as well as double vision because of a squint . But I do have 20/20 vision in my left eye. Does this surely put me out?
    I think I read somewhere that having a squint does not automatically disqualify you. I did pass a medical for the army and the tester even said that I had good eyesight!

http://airfactsjournal.com/2015/07/archives-leighton-collins-flies-747-paris/ This is a fun read and shows how times have changed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

smurfjed wrote: »
    http://airfactsjournal.com/2015/07/archives-leighton-collins-flies-747-paris/ This is a fun read and shows how times have changed :)

Brings back memories of using the old Litton Carousel INS. Only held 7 way points at a time in it's memory. Each new one had to be entered, by lat and long coordinates as space became available! Regaining DME/DME updating after an oceanic crossing resulted in the LNAV wandering around like a dog pissing in snow!

DC-6 First Officers and Flight Engineers. XXXXX Air Cargo has openings for Alaska Based DC-6 First Officers and Flight Engineers with good flying skills and a strong work ethic. These positions offer potential opportunity to advance to a management position.
    DC-6 First Officers: Must have an ATP or a current ATP written to be considered. A DC-6 Type Rating is preferred but not required.

Where on earth do you get a DC-6 type rating these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Where on earth do you get a DC-6 type rating these days?

Maybe the Pan Am flight academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Great article, as are the others mentioned it in (Constellation and 707). Thanks for posting it...

J.

A day in the life of a corporate pilot.....
    SANTO DOMINGO: Four Frenchmen were sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison in the Dominican Republic for drug trafficking.
    Pilot Pascal Fauret, co-pilot Bruno Odos, passenger Nicolas Pisapia and alleged broker Alain Castany were arrested in March 2013 as they were about to take off from the Caribbean resort of Punta Cana.
    Dominican authorities say they were preparing to take off in a mid-size Dassault Falcon 50 jet with 26 suitcases carrying 680 kilograms (1,500 pounds) of cocaine.
    After deliberations lasting 10 hours, the court found the men guilty of the "crime of associating to ... possess illegal drugs."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

I am 19 yo just starting college in September (Aviation Technology). I love planes and flying in general. When I go on holidays it's one of the best parts of the experience for me.

All my life I have wanted to be a pilot and I know how expensive it is but, if I stayed focused and was determined to be a pilot would it be worth it in the end? I know my love for flying will never change so you don't have to tell me that but is it still possible to be a successful pilot in todays world?

I don't care much for 200K+ salaries as such but would like to be able to get by.

I am 19 yo just starting college in September (Aviation Technology). I love planes and flying in general. When I go on holidays it's one of the best parts of the experience for me.

All my life I have wanted to be a pilot and I know how expensive it is but, if I stayed focused and was determined to be a pilot would it be worth it in the end? I know my love for flying will never change so you don't have to tell me that but is it still possible to be a successful pilot in todays world?

I don't care much for 200K+ salaries as such but would like to be able to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Dean. wrote: »

Flying for enjoyment and flying for a living are two very different things in my mind.

I think you will find it hard to find it hard to find a pilot, airline or otherwise, who underwent all the training that is involved who will openly say they regret it.

Have you taken any introductory flight lessons?

Fyi, the glamour days of flying are long gone and I would expect you would struggle to find many pilots on anywhere near 200,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

In this day and age, if you want to fly because you love flying, it's best to go to college, get a good paying job, getting your PPL and buying your own private plane, and fly it on the weekends or such. Going for the whole airline pilot thing wuld cost in excess of 75,000 euro for what is not a brilliant paying job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

at 19 you should be able to do a bit of a research on the profession you claim to love so much.. I mean seriously there are 12 yo's who can find Tinder yet you seem to somehow missed pprune?

200k+ salaries? what are you talking about? there are people literally paying to fly! Pay to fly - p2f - look it up!

also read this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057480804

martinsvi wrote:
    200k+ salaries? what are you talking about? there are people literally paying to fly! Pay to fly - p2f - look it up!

I never claimed that pilots make this much at all. Was just saying I wouldn't be doing it in hope for some crazy ass salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I never claimed that pilots make this much at all. Was just saying I wouldn't be doing it in hope for some crazy ass salary.

200k debt and 50k gross annual income is more like it. :p OK OK, maybe not quite that much debt, but 150k is easily achievable if you pay for type rating, etc.

200k+ salaries?
    That's about the average airline Captains salary where i work :):) But its a long slog from your CPL to left seat for a foreign carrier.

bkehoe wrote:
    200k debt and 50k gross annual income is more like it. OK OK, maybe not quite that much debt, but 150k is easily achievable if you pay for type rating, etc.

Yes I believe the type ratings can be anywhere from 30k onwards. Quite sickening actually after paying nearly 100k for all that training !!

I have been looking into Bartolini Air in Lodz, Poland. Their full ATPL costs just 45k with accomodation and meals included plus all course material, exam fees, landing fees etc...pretty unbelievable considering the cheapest I can seem to find here in Ireland is from 75k onwards.

smurfjed wrote:
    That's about the average airline Captains salary where i work But its a long slog from your CPL to left seat for a foreign carrier.

Well that may be why I actually said it. I recall reading a forum a few months ago. It spoke of captain who flys for Aer Lingus who makes 21,000 p/m!!!

Although, I was in no way suggesting that is the normal salary to be expected these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well that may be why I actually said it. I recall reading a forum a few months ago. It spoke of captain who flys for Aer Lingus who makes 21,000 p/m!!!.....
    Might have been that way 10 years ago. EI have cut back on salaries. I'd hazard a guess at half that figure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Guys just curious. Is there any method used in the naming of standard approach patterns?

Yep, governed by ICAO Annex 11
    APPENDIX 3. PRINCIPLES GOVERNING THE IDENTIFICATION OF STANDARD DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL ROUTES
    AND ASSOCIATED PROCEDURES

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie1000

Hi,

I have noticed a white bubble on the roof of Aer Lingus' A330 aircraft recently (may have always been there but just noticed) ; anyone know what it is there for? Is it the wi-fi or is that too obvious?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Newbie1000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have noticed a white bubble on the roof of Aer Lingus' A330 aircraft recently (may have always been there but just noticed) ; anyone know what it is there for? Is it the wi-fi or is that too obvious?

Thanks

Yeah it's the wifi. The bubble creates extra drag which adds to fuel cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie1000

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Hi just a quick question. Does constantly flying have an impact on your body and if so how?

Yep, fatigue and greater exposure to radiation. There is also a lot of discussion in the UK about the health impact of oil getting into aircraft air circulation systems, prolonged exposure to this air has caused a number of problems for crewmembers.

http://aerotoxic.org/about-aerotoxic-syndrome/

• Advertisement

Emirates are coming to town, 18th/19th Sept. They recently changed their requirements down to 1500 hours with no aircraft type requirements.
    Some might find it an interesting change from FR.

Advertisement