Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Probably more dependent on the aircrafts capabilities, followed by the airline convincing their authorities that their training is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I read something a while ago saying that climate change is resulting in more incidences of unexpected clear air turbulence which is impossible to predict. Have any pilots noticed that this is the case? It's the thought of turbulence that makes me very anxious, especially severe, which thankfully I've never experienced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I read something a while ago saying that climate change is resulting in more incidences of unexpected clear air turbulence which is impossible to predict. Have any pilots noticed that this is the case? It's the thought of turbulence that makes me very anxious, especially severe, which thankfully I've never experienced!

Scaremongering rubbish. Turbulence has always been present, and will always continue to be.
    Clear air turbulence, although not able to be detected by radar, is predictable. Forecasting these days is pretty accurate and when combined with experience and knowledge, it's easy to know where it'll be.
    Of course there's always going to turbulence that no one has predicted, but that's a fact of flying through a mass of constantly moving energy packed air.

In the last 3 years I've only had one episode of severe turbulence, a few weeks ago on the North Atlantic, caused by wind shift and a severe mountain wave in the lee of Greenland. Again, it was forecast, predicted and previously reported by other aircraft. We tried to avoid it by ducking under it, but to no avail. Cue 3 minutes of roller coasting as we surfed the wave!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Scaremongering rubbish...........................

In the last 3 years I've only had one episode of severe turbulence, a few weeks ago on the North Atlantic, ....We tried to avoid it by ducking under it, but to no avail. Cue 3 minutes of roller coasting as we surfed the wave!
    I hope no wine was spilt.....that can be quite upsetting. (or indeed any loss of warm beverages for the operating crew)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenger wrote: »
    I hope no wine was spilt.....that can be quite upsetting. (or indeed any loss of warm beverages for the operating crew)

Ive just done my recurrent and we discussed a scenario in which a crew member hit the ceiling on decent and broke her hip, was temporally paralysed and had to land lying in agony in the aisle, It can get very nasty at times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ive just done my recurrent and we discussed a scenario in which a crew member hit the ceiling on decent and broke her hip, was temporally paralysed and had to land lying in agony in the aisle, It can get very nasty at times!

Was that the EI flight where they levelled off quickly and caused negative g in the aft galley?

http://avherald.com/h?article=455911f9&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Was that the EI flight where they levelled off quickly and caused negative g in the aft galley?

Its hard to imagine that enough negative G could be generated in a descending level off to break an ankle. From +1.7 to +0.8, not sure where the G meters are on that aircraft but I would assume the forces were amplified near the rear bulkhead.

Interesting read all the same.

I'd say it was to do with the rate of change perhaps. Worth thinking about on something even longer like an A340!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Don't believe Locker10a is in EI, but the scenario above is used quite a bit I can confirm. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The incident we studied in recurrent is this one
    http://avherald.com/h?article=479b8497

What it doesn't mention in the article is that when the crew member with the broken hip was being rushed to hospital after landing in Rome, the ambulance in which she was travelling in was involved in a road accident! I know! Its like a lost script from father ted!! :P Luckily she has made a full recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

The incident we studied in recurrent is this one
    http://avherald.com/h?article=479b8497

What it doesn't mention in the article is that when the crew member with the broken hip was being rushed to hospital after landing in Rome, the ambulance in which she was travelling in was involved in a road accident! I know! Its like a lost script from father ted!! :P Luckily she has made a full recovery!

Having spent some time in that neck of the woods over the years, nothing would surprised me on the roads around Rome...:rolleyes:

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Don't believe Locker10a is in EI, but the scenario above is used quite a bit I can confirm. ;)

Either am I, it was an example from our SEP course that's why I remember it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Either am I, it was an example from our SEP course that's why I remember it;)

Major focus well last Summer anyway was the JetBlue incident at Long Beach. Engine failure after takeoff, smoke in cabin, oxy deployed as a result of smoke in the cabin (although not a SOP), improper communication (Capt using a code-word over the PA to CC) all leading to an un-commanded evac and of course injuries.

Seems to have eclipsed the improper control input a few years back!

That's pretty sobering. Poor lady.

I have experienced negative G myself of a short hop to the UK. Aircraft descended VERY rapidly. I was just walking back to my seat when I suddenly found myself in the air at the back of an A321. I was looking up the cabin and could see all the books and drinks floating up too. Luckily I grabbed the headrest so my face stopped level about 6 inches from the ceiling.
    It was very short, maybe 1-2 seconds, doubt I would have had more than a sore head if I had of hit.
    What I loved most was that a little boy of approx 10-11 yrs old was onboard as his first flight......he loved it, thought it was part of the experience!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I laughed when i read this.....
    It looks like the 1,500 hours of flying planes doesn't just get you a pilot licence, it also gets you more right-swipes on Tinder.
    Tinder just released the 15 most right-swiped jobs in the US and found male pilots and female physical therapists were at the top of the list.

America here I come :)

smurfjed wrote: »
    I laughed when i read this.....

So male pilots and female physical therapists......shows the mindset of the average tinder user!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Always been interested in becoming a pilot. This question has probably already been asked but (its 212 pages), what is the cheapest way of training save cadetships?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Elemonator wrote: »
    Always been interested in becoming a pilot. This question has probably already been asked but (its 212 pages), what is the cheapest way of training save cadetships?

Cheapest way is the modular route but savings depend on how fast you learn the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

What is the best way to pay for flight training? Save over 10-15 years or get a loan?if you get a loan and are looking for a job after the training how do you pay it back? Thanks protog777

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

protog777 wrote: »
    What is the best way to pay for flight training? Save over 10-15 years or get a loan?if you get a loan and are looking for a job after the training how do you pay it back? Thanks protog777

In this situation myself, almost finished my degree in finance and have been continously saving throughout college. My idea is to self fund half and borrow the other half (providing you can get such a large loan) ideally from the credit union. Modular would be the most ideal choice as you can then work while flying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding a 100,000 loan for flight training?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

azure wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding a 100,000 loan for flight training?

Bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Bank?
    Yes... But I was looking for specific info eg; which bank and if these loans are hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Yes... But I was looking for specific info eg; which bank and if these loans are hard to get.

It's all dependant on your own circumstances. Best bet is to try your own bank and tell them your situation and take it from there. Try the credit union too.

Failing that, work your ass off for a few years, save save save, and then do your training in one continuous streak. That's how I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

No bank will give you 100k unless you're willing to secure it with a mortgage against a property. I would strongly advise against taking any loans whatsoever and keep your costs down. Aviation requires a bucket full of patience and hard work. Get a degree, get a reasonably well paid job and combine training with work.

People look at the costs and assume that this is a once off payment that you have to pay today and you get your licence in the post the tomorrow.. that's not how it works - you start off with a PPL, it will take you some 6 months (depending on your work flexibility and million other factors) and will cost you some 10k.. so roughly you will need some 1700 eur a month to cover this. Don't have the money? No problem, just stretch your training to a level at which you can afford it. Once you have the PPL, you need to do 3 things - ATPL theory (3k), Night Rating (1k) and hour building (after PPL you will need about 100h).

How you do your hour building is up to you - some people go to Florida, others rent in their local clubs.. It looks like very few people are considering this but - you can buy a Piper Colt or similar for around 10k, get those 100h out of it and sell it for the very same 10k. So realistically your hour building can cost you anywhere between 5k if you're smart to 25k if you have rich parents.. all 3 things will take you about 1.5 to 2 years to complete. Surely you don't need a loan to cover some 500 eur a month expenses on training?

Now once you have all the bits done, it's some 2 to 2.5 years since you started, hopefully at this point your day job is doing well and you have gotten a raise and I hope you have been saving too, because the remaining bit is to get your CPL/ME/IR done which typically costs around 30k + extra few k for your MMC/JOC.. again multiple options are available - obviously it's best to take time off work and do it in 2 months or so, but you can stretch it to a certain extent.. This is the bit where you can take a SMALL loan if you feel it will help you get things done quicker and help you save on commute costs or other expenses.

so all and all you don't need a 100k mortgage with ridiculous monthly repayments and APRs, you can get a it done for just around 45-50k. The simple fact is many guys who spend 100k+ on their training often simply cant afford to kick off their careers - their only option is to hope that a big shiny jet legacy airline will offer them a position - they can't afford to work for a smaller/regional operator simply because the salary won't cover the monthly repayment. Don't make the same mistake and don't join the army of unemployables

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is there many vacancies for pilots? I assume the bigger airlines such as BA and EI are sought after jobs, but for the likes of FR and STK, is it hard to get a job if your trained?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Is there many vacancies for pilots? I assume the bigger airlines such as BA and EI are sought after jobs, but for the likes of FR and STK, is it hard to get a job if your trained?

FR announced they will need 600ish pilots in next 2 years - look at plane orders and it will tell you how the recruitment drive is going. FR/STK/BA - pretty good. EI - not so much

Easy Jet is another sought after company with orders in well over hundred.. those seats need filling.. however - and this is important - only FR and to some extent STK will offer a job to a 200h pilot with 0 hours on type unless you're coming from their cadet scheme. For everyone else you typically need about 1500h + some 500h on type before they will even look at you. To fulfill these requirements you will need to work a couple of years in airlines/places that will probably not be on your bucket list for a salary that will barely keep you alive. This is why it is so important not to get into debts

martinsvi wrote: »
    FR announced they will need 600ish pilots in next 2 years - look at plane orders and it will tell you how the recruitment drive is going. FR/STK/BA - pretty good. EI - not so much

Easy Jet is another sought after company with orders in well over hundred.. those seats need filling.. however - and this is important - only FR and to some extent STK will offer a job to a 200h pilot with 0 hours on type unless you're coming from their cadet scheme. For everyone else you typically need about 1500h + some 500h on type before they will even look at you. To fulfill these requirements you will need to work a couple of years in airlines/places that will probably not be on your bucket list for a salary that will barely keep you alive. This is why it is so important not to get into debts

EI do take 200-250hr pilots from outside of their own cadet pool. It's not common and not publicised, but it is happening. And there are jobs across Europe and down into North Africa if pilots are willing to relocate.

With regard to salaries that will barely keep you alive, I don't think that's a fair comment. This isn't 2011 and the industry (or at least the bulk of it) is beginning to recognise and address the demand vs supply anomaly by offering preferred bases, better salaries and better conditions.

But I would agree that it is important to not get into debt to complete training if possible.

With regard to salaries that will barely keep you alive, I don't think that's a fair comment. This isn't 2011 and the industry (or at least the bulk of it) is beginning to recognise and address the demand vs supply anomaly by offering preferred bases, better salaries and better conditions.

good news if true, yet looking at offers that are out there for a 0 hour pilots it looks like one can be considered lucky to get on a position with some 20k-ish starting salary which is then subject to your 30k type-rating bond

• Advertisement

martinsvi wrote: »
    good news if true, yet looking at offers that are out there for a 0 hour pilots it looks like one can be considered lucky to get on a position with some 20k-ish starting salary which is then subject to your 30k type-rating bond

News along the pipeline is that in order to address the exodus of pilots venturing to the Middle East, airlines who previously made pilots pay for their type ratings are now considering foregoing the type rating cost and instead bond the pilot to the airline for a fixed number of years.

Advertisement