Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

Does it make any difference to your job opportunities if you do integrated or modular training to be a pilot? If not why doesn't everybody do modular because it's cheaper and you can complete it at your own pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

protog777 wrote: »
    Does it make any difference to your job opportunities if you do integrated or modular training to be a pilot? If not why doesn't everybody do modular because it's cheaper and you can complete it at your own pace?

there are a few schools out there that cooperate with airlines through their integrated programmes, such as CTC, Oxford and FTE Jerez. No one guarantees you a job, but after completing your training you are in their pool and are in a better position to be noticed. Then there are schools who are trying to jump the band wagon offering integrated route without any real connections. At the end of the day people end up with the same licence, it's really about the individual willing to pay more to place a brand on their CV..

Sometimes it may help, but I personally think it comes down to timing and the state of the industry - at the moment you'd be a fool to waste money on an expensive integrated course as both - modular and integrated cadets are getting jobs.. all it takes is for economy to turn, oil price to go up or whatever, and your integrated CTC mr richparents might be the only one with a chance, and even then you find lots of them who had a terrible timing and came out of the training in the middle of recession now working office jobs just to get out of debt

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

protog777 wrote: »

Have a look on YouTube at Mentour Pilot's channel, he's a training captain with Ryanair and offers great insight into the industry and what is expected of pilots, both new and seasoned. Some great info to be gained from watching his videos.

It's my understanding that most airlines operate a system whereby one pilot will fly for example ORK to LHR and the other pilot fly the return journey. My question is, if the FO is flying a leg and the weather at the destination airport is tricky, is there a point where the captain takes over or is it a case that once the FO is pilot flying then the ship is his/hers to land?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It's my understanding that most airlines operate a system whereby one pilot will fly for example ORK to LHR and the other pilot fly the return journey. My question is, if the FO is flying a leg and the weather at the destination airport is tricky, is there a point where the captain takes over or is it a case that once the FO is pilot flying then the ship is his/hers to land?

The Captain is the senior pilot and is in command of the aircraft at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

The captain will normally pick which sectors are flown at the planning briefing before the first flight. When I first became a captain I kept picking the most challenging landings for myself. Subsequently from talking with other captains in my base I found that the F/Os thought I didn't trust them to do the more difficult ones. Now I ask which sectors they'd like to do as the F/Os also need to develop in challenging conditions. There has to be an element of trust on my part in their abilities - this comes with experience.

There are times however when the weather unexpectedly changes and company SOPs dictate that the captain takes over on the F/Os sector. For example if fog rolls in (CAT2) or wind or vis goes outside limits (new S/O restrictions).

However I'll still veto the short landings. Get off at taxiway A on 06 in SNN, taxiway T on 33 in BHX and taxiway B on 25 in ORK:D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

We have limits where we do a monitored approach, whereby the f/o will be flying the aircraft down to minimums, and depending on if the captains has contact with the runway or not, he/she either takes control and lands, and calls go around which is flown by the f/o. This can happen on either pilots sector, so the f/o could fly all the way from the start, or else the captain could do the departure and at some point before the approach there will be a change of control. The logic behind it is that particularly when the weather is marginal, el capitano is free to be keeping a look out for visual reference rather than head in monitoring the instruments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I thought that procedure was only done by BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

smurfjed wrote: »
    I thought that procedure was only done by BA.

I'm afraid I'm not in BA so theres at least 2 airlines doing it then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I'm afraid I'm not in BA so theres at least 2 airlines doing it then!!

Poor b*stard:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A very long time ago, a friend who worked for the airline in training sent me the following snippet that was in circulation at the time.

It has subsequently been posted on a number of web sites. I can't be absolutely sure about the provenance, but if for sure makes for a laugh trying to understand it!
    "There appears to be some confusion over the new pilot role titles. This
    notice will hopefully clear up any misunderstandings.

The titles P1, P2 and Co-Pilot will now cease to have any meaning, within
    the BA operations manuals. They are to be replaced by Handling Pilot,
    Non-handling Pilot, Handling Landing Pilot, Non-Handling Landing Pilot,
    Handling Non-Landing Pilot, and Non Handling Non-Landing Pilot.

The Landing Pilot, is initially the Handling Pilot and will handle the
    take-off and landing except in role reversal when he is the Non-Handling
    Pilot for taxi Until the Handling Non-Landing Pilot, hands the Handling to
    the Landing Pilot at eighty knots.

The Non-Landing (Non-Handling, since the Landing Pilot is Handling) Pilot
    reads the checklist to the Handling Pilot until after the Before Descent
    Checklist completion, when the Handling Landing Pilot hands the handling to
    the Non-Handling Non-Landing Pilot who then becomes the Handling
    Non-Landing Pilot.

The Landing Pilot is the Non-Handling Pilot until the "decision altitude"
    call, when the Handling Non-Landing Pilot hands the handling to the
    Non-Handling Landing Pilot, unless the latter calls "go-around", in which
    case the Handling Non-Landing Pilot, continues Handling and the
    Non-Handling Landing Pilot continues non-handling until the next call of
    "land" or "go-around", as appropriate.

In view of the recent confusion over these rules, it was deemed necessary
    to restate them clearly."

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/24/andreas-lubitz-and-the-global-pilot-scam-threatening-your-safety.html

Keeping this away from the FlyDubai thread.

Comments such as “The race to the bottom needs to be regulated by the European Union before passengers get killed. People are committing suicide because of this outrageous way they are being treated.” are quite shocking when you consider that 10 years ago this was an extremely desirable job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Paying for type ratings was the start, then it was line training, then buying thousands of line hours on jets. Now we have zero hour contracts......People never learn.

Interesting selection criteria ....
    Please review the following list of disqualifying offenses and certify that you have not, during the past 10 years, been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of any of the following disqualifying offenses. A conviction includes any finding of guilt, plea of guilty, plea of nolo contendre or plea of no contest:

1. Forgery of certificates, false marking of aircraft, and other aircraft registration violation;
    2. Interference with air navigation;
    3. Improper transportation of a hazardous material;
    4. Aircraft piracy;
    5. Interference with flight crew members or flight attendants;
    6. Commission of certain crimes aboard aircraft in flight;
    7. Carrying a weapon or explosive aboard aircraft;
    8. Conveying false information and threats;
    9. Aircraft piracy outside the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States
    10. Lighting violations involving transporting controlled substances;
    11. Unlawful entry into an aircraft or airport area that serves air carriers or foreign air carriers contrary to established security requirements;
    12. Destruction of an aircraft or aircraft facility;
    13. Murder;
    14. Assault with intent to murder;
    15. Espionage;
    16. Sedition;
    17. Kidnapping or hostage taking;
    18. Treason;
    19. Rape or aggravated sexual abuse;
    20. Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, or manufacture of an explosive or weapon;
    21. Extortion;
    22. Armed or felony unarmed robbery;
    23. Distribution of, or intent to distribute, a controlled substance;
    24. Felony arson;
    25. Felony involving a threat;
    26. Felony involving:
    i. Willful destruction of property;
    ii. Importation or manufacture of a controlled substance;
    iii. Burglary
    iv. Theft;
    v. Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation;
    vi. Possession or distribution of stolen property;
    vii. Aggravated assault;
    viii. Bribery; or
    ix. Illegal possession of a controlled substance punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of
    more than 1 year
    27. Violence at international airports;
    28. Conspiracy or attempt to commit any of the aforementioned criminal acts.

With regard to earlies vs lates, what do pilots prefer? My understanding is that say earlies start at 5-6am ish, finish around 1pm, late shift comes on then at 1pm till 10-11pm and later.

Does the late shift get more flying time/no of sectors or is it balanced out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What is this part of the Ryanair CFM-56 7B engine for? I keep seeing chemtrails nuts claiming it's a 'chemtrail-delivery system' (I sht you not) so would like to categorically state what it really is. EG-accelerator or something?

382506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

What is this part of the Ryanair CFM-56 7B engine for? I keep seeing chemtrails nuts claiming it's a 'chemtrail-delivery system' (I sht you not) so would like to categorically state what it really is. EG-accelerator or something?

382506.jpg

Just your normal standard exhaust nozzle, nothing too complicated

that's an Aft Fairing drain tube, my understanding is, it's used for any oil or hydraulic fluid drainage, to keep it away from any hot parts causing it to either catch fire or emit pax-scaring smoke

martinsvi wrote: »
    that's an Aft Fairing drain tube, my understanding is, it's used for any oil or hydraulic fluid drainage, to keep it away from any hot parts causing it to either catch fire or emit pax-scaring smoke

I originally meant that exhaust tube but it was actually the drain tube above and beyond it (not circled) that I should have asked about. You are right, that's what it is.

16269689594_ba7170de15_b.jpg

you mean the tiny little straw coming out of the pod? I believe that's one of the fuel vents. There should be another surge vent close to the tip of the wing, but I believe they serve a slightly different purpose.

btw don't argue with the chemtrail folk, I'm telling this from experience - it's like talking to a brick wall.. not sure what propaganda methods they have been exposed to, but it's scary to think that a couple of home made movies, youtube channels and doggy websites is enough to make reasonably intelligent adults to throw their critical thinking into a bin

• Advertisement

martinsvi wrote: »
    16269689594_ba7170de15_b.jpg

you mean the tiny little straw coming out of the pod? I believe that's one of the fuel vents. There should be another surge vent close to the tip of the wing, but I believe they serve a slightly different purpose.

btw don't argue with the chemtrail folk, I'm telling this from experience - it's like talking to a brick wall.. not sure what propaganda methods they have been exposed to, but it's scary to think that a couple of home made movies, youtube channels and doggy websites is enough to make reasonably intelligent adults to throw their critical thinking into a bin

It was that little straw, yes. I since found it on this page (at the bottom). They call it the Aft Fairing drain pipe.

http://www.b737.org.uk/powerplant.htm

Whatever, it's not for delivering chemtrails! I've had plenty of dealings with these guys too. The words brain and dead spring to mind.

ah I see - so I though the exhaust pipe is the drain pipe and the drain pipe is the vent.. :/ glad my AGK exam is not tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

With regard to earlies vs lates, what do pilots prefer? My understanding is that say earlies start at 5-6am ish, finish around 1pm, late shift comes on then at 1pm till 10-11pm and later.

What do they prefer? It probably differs per pilot...
    I can only think of one Irish airline with a pattern like that though and it would be Ryanair, a week of lates followed by a week of earlies. Also the duty length can be much longer than that, we can easily do a 12 hour day, but if you're lucky it can be less as well.
    Most airlines would have nights away from home even on short haul destinations. As for long haul you'll definitely have a different pattern.
    I'd say flying hours balance out between pilots working for the same company in the same base, most don't let you pick your own flights/roster.

I'd say flying hours balance out between pilots working for the same company in the same base, most don't let you pick your own flights/roster.

We get to pick our own roster based on seniority, so you can take specific days off, specific destinations, chase money or chase layovers, this applies for short / medium and long haul.

Depending on the time of the year and fleet expansion plans, there are certain fleets that are certainly busier than others, for example our A320 Captains are presently doing about 100 hours per month, A330 about 80 and B777 about 70. First Officers on all fleets are less due to training requirements.

As most of our airports operate 24 hours a day, there is nothing like early's / late's.

Personally the perfect start time for me is 5-6am getting out of bed, however for the last 3 days that's the time I arrived in my bed :)

They call it the Aft Fairing drain pipe
    Is that the code name for the Chemical dispenser?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do you need to know the mechanics of all working parts on the aircraft ?

We get to pick our own roster based on seniority, so you can take specific days off, specific destinations, chase money or chase layovers, this applies for short / medium and long haul.

Depending on the time of the year and fleet expansion plans, there are certain fleets that are certainly busier than others, for example our A320 Captains are presently doing about 100 hours per month, A330 about 80 and B777 about 70. First Officers on all fleets are less due to training requirements.

As most of our airports operate 24 hours a day, there is nothing like early's / late's.

Personally the perfect start time for me is 5-6am getting out of bed, however for the last 3 days that's the time I arrived in my bed :)

Out of interest, what places have you flown to/visited in the last 10 days?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Is that the code name for the Chemical dispenser?

Guy (from Wexford who visits schools with this rubbish) was on Irish radio program about 10 days ago was claiming that the chemtrails are emitted from the pipes under the tail of the B737-800's that Ryanair use...... "they are a low fares airlines who seem to make an awful lot of money"
    His belief was scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would you happen to know the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

I prefer Lates, gives me a bit more time in bed and I'm generally not as tired. Earlies usually end between 2 and 3pm so the times balance out over all.
    flyguy wrote: »
    I can only think of one Irish airline with a pattern like that though and it would be Ryanair, a week of lates followed by a week of earlies.

Stobart and Aer Lingus have the same week of earlies and week of lates pattern.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Do you need to know the mechanics of all working parts on the aircraft ?

A working knowledge of how all the systems operate is essential more so when something goes wrong.

Advertisement