Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thanks martinsvi, I thought that the 206/207 had 6 seats, but the 172/182/210 family had 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

smurfjed wrote: »
    Thanks martinsvi, I thought that the 206/207 had 6 seats, but the 172/182/210 family had 4.

no worries, at least that explains why you didn't find it any different than 182 :D

27089805465_10ba31e5b2_c.jpg

B787 Door Trainer

27089748935_1fb9aafe6d_c.jpg

B777 Slide

Not sure if anyone tries to find the CFIT thread anymore :)

The concept of opening an aircraft door may appear easy, but getting it wrong can result in this massive slide getting released, with the possibility of injuries or even death for the poor person outside. Each slide can cost up to $100,000 so its also an expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

26489708014_b9fe92ab24_c.jpg26491348403_abb0d60a84_c.jpg

PTP, considering that i couldn't remember the difference between a 210 and 182T, I would guess that i wasn't amazed :)

You'd remember the difference if it was actually a 210 and you thought it was a 182 and forgot to put the gear down before landing :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

It varies, some 210'S have 4 seats some have 6 seats. Normally the four seat variant finished with the 210-J model, but some later six seaters had the rearmost two seats removed by owners for various reasons.

182's are normally 230-ish hp i think, 210's are 300hp +.

• Advertisement

Old Technology :)

26491556834_fcf8df06a3_c.jpg

Our senior crew who are approaching 65 years of age would have trained in this Link Training for their instrument rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

martinsvi wrote: »
    this is a good question, but would you not consider asking this to all airline pilots rather than few selected individuals of whom at least one isn't even a pilot? :rolleyes:

Pedantic much ?

I was saying hi to the pilots who have answered a lot of previous questions is all, (one retired ).

the questions are open to everyone as we forumites don't know all the ATPL's here.

I am asking about this Volocopter as I can really see it catching on , and it is rather worrying about the lack of prop protection from bird strike.

One slick feature though, is that the designers hope to have a fully automated vehicle, so you jump in , forget about any training whatsoever and punch in the gps co-ordinates of your destination.

Tesla have a 2-d working version of this Autopilot (see link below) so the future appears to remove the human element. I would like to know what opinions current pilots have on this ?

https://youtu.be/UgNhYGAgmZo?t=1m14s

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I was watching the Airbus (A320 Im pretty sure) I was about to board being prepped for take off last night, it was on a quick turn around having literally just arrived. Most of the activity was obvious, cleaners on/baggage out/refuel etc, but my question is about the small vehicle that pulled up under nose of the jet and plugged in to a small door there. I assume its part of the avionics bay or something? Right under the cockpit.
    What would the connection be for, do they download/upload/recharge stuff or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

TedR wrote: »
    I was watching the Airbus (A320 Im pretty sure) I was about to board being prepped for take off last night, it was on a quick turn around having literally just arrived. Most of the activity was obvious, cleaners on/baggage out/refuel etc, but my question is about the small vehicle that pulled up under nose of the jet and plugged in to a small door there. I assume its part of the avionics bay or something? Right under the cockpit.
    What would the connection be for, do they download/upload/recharge stuff or something?

That's for supplying ground power, basically supply electrical power to the A/C from an external source called a GPU rather then using the APU!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Im going to take a guess that it was a mobile ground power unit but without seeing a pic I couldnt be 100%.
    Some airports/stands have power supplied from ground station so the aircraft doesnt have to use its own supply. Some use these mobile units to provide electrical power for lights/air con etc while on stand.
    The momentary black out you often get pre departure is the aircraft switching from GPU to aircraft power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Ah very good. Obvious now you explain it. Thanks people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Annual training time, yesterday was relatively boring, but today I get to evacuate from a burning (simulated) airliner into a swimming pool and get rescued by a dozen or so flight attendants. Unfortunately no bikinis allowed :) And NO PICTURES,

Just noticed this post. On a serious note do you have to wear full uniform for this test ?Is the swimming pool calm or are there waves ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

amen wrote: »
    Annual training time, yesterday was relatively boring, but today I get to evacuate from a burning (simulated) airliner into a swimming pool and get rescued by a dozen or so flight attendants. Unfortunately no bikinis allowed :) And NO PICTURES,

Just noticed this post. On a serious note do you have to wear full uniform for this test ?Is the swimming pool calm or are there waves ?
    No your actual airline uniform is not worn normally just like any old tracksuit trousers and teeshirts are worn for certain drills. Pool at my airline was just a regular Olympic swimming pool so no wave machine

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Locker10a wrote: »
    Pool at my airline was just a regular Olympic swimming pool so no wave machine

Same at my lot. No waves either. Except when the big lad jumped in.

This thread showed up in my email notifications this morning, but there are no new posts. Confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

smurfjed wrote:
    This thread showed up in my email notifications this morning, but there are no new posts. Confusing

Post & deleted again I'd say.

Here was me thinking, you decided to post a pic in you swimgear

Lol no fear of that TED, even the men have to wear ‘non revealing clothes’. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Yes, there was a post made by a user, who deleted it shortly after putting it up

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

It wasn't me earlier on :) however I just want to ask a pilot on here about this sound that occurred while taxiing to RWY 10 not too long ago.

BA A320 to LHR and along the bravos (now sierras) there was this repeated intermittent sound nearly every sec similar to flaps being lowered or retracted except they wern't visually as I was located over the wing.
    Very mechanical and repeated up until the holding point. Anyone have any clue as to what this sound was? Went on for about 5-10 minutes. Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

That explains it..."Because the noise is akin to a motor repeatedly trying—and failing—to start"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

davepatr07 wrote: »
    It wasn't me earlier on :) however I just want to ask a pilot on here about this sound that occurred while taxiing to RWY 10 not too long ago.

BA A320 to LHR and along the bravos (now sierras) there was this repeated intermittent sound nearly every sec similar to flaps being lowered or retracted except they wern't visually as I was located over the wing.
    Very mechanical and repeated up until the holding point. Anyone have any clue as to what this sound was? Went on for about 5-10 minutes. Tks.

There is a procedure to taxi with just the left engine running to save some fuel on longer taxis (10 in DUB can justify it). Hydraulic power is normally supplied from 2 engine driven pumps, green system from the left engine, yellow system from the right. The PTU runs in the single engine scenario to compensate for the fact that the Yellow engine pump isn't running. It allows components that would normally derive power from the yellow system to be driven via the blue system.
    It's a loud machine that is often described as the "barking dog". The single engine taxi procedure calls for the Yellow electric driven hydraulic pump (a backup pump seperate to the engine pump) to be switched on to avoid running the PTU. You'll often here this electric pump as a high pitch whine during single engine taxiing.
    For some reason, even if the electric pump is on, the PTU will sometimes run regardless. It sees a slight pressure differential between the Blue and Yellow systems and kicks in. After all, that is it's function, it's designed to run in an emergency scenario where the engine driven pump has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Any 737 Pilot's on here, what are your thoughts on MCAS, additional Sim Training (should be required or not), return to air, etc. etc. that Boeing are trying to push the FAA hard on at the moment w.r.t. the 737-Max8, threatening to have to shut down the line if it's not given the all clear soon, FAA being too cosy to Boeing almost allowing them to self certify? Just some general thoughts on where Boeing and the FAA have gone wrong, and what should be the criteria for a return to the air etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Inquitus wrote: »
    Any 737 Pilot's on here, what are your thoughts on MCAS, additional Sim Training (should be required or not), return to air, etc. etc. that Boeing are trying to push the FAA hard on at the moment w.r.t. the 737-Max8, threatening to have to shut down the line if it's not given the all clear soon, FAA being too cosy to Boeing almost allowing them to self certify? Just some general thoughts on where Boeing and the FAA have gone wrong, and what should be the criteria for a return to the air etc.

The airplane shouldn't have MCAS. It needs a bigger horizontal stab as well for that pitch power moment. I'm not convinced the software is sufficient. The whole bastardized "Fly by wire" they built into it is just to replicate the NG flight characteristics. But hey that's what the people a lot smarter than me decided it should have.

I think, despite how close Boeing and the FAA are, when it's certified it'll end up as one of the safer aircraft out there. Boeing can't afford another hull loss. So any lose ends have to be cleaned up on this one before it returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Inquitus wrote:

I'm confident that when EASA sign off on the Max, I'll have no issue flying it.
    Pilots already know now how to overcome the system in its original form (lessons learned from Lion & Ethiopian) and now in its new form it should be far more benign.
    I don't think the design is inherently dangerous despite what some commentators seem to say. Yes MCAS was rushed through, corners were cut and profit was put before safety but hopefully this is a lesson to the aircraft industry to do things properly.

I imagine EASA will require some level of Sim training but it'll probably be very similar to the existing "stab trim runaway" scenario which is already part of recurrent training.

Thankfully, this debacle will mean the Max will be the final 737 reiteration and it can retire to the annals of history where it well and truly belongs. It is a dinosaur of a design in a digital world. Let's hope it's replacement is as successful, fun to fly, but more importantly, comfier for the pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

I always have a bit of a laugh when flying into Italy and the passengers break out into applause upon landing. "Bravo for getting us down safely!"

But in all seriousness - can the pilots even hear this in these days of post 9/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

wassie wrote: »
    I always have a bit of a laugh when flying into Italy and the passengers break out into applause upon landing. "Bravo for getting us down safely!"

But in all seriousness - can the pilots even hear this in these days of post 9/11?

Nope, not on the 737 anyway. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Ha ha. Thats going to make me laugh even more next time. But its great at the same time to see appreciation & respect by the traveling public being shown to the flight crew for what is a lot of responsibility at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Flew into Dublin yesterday and on the approach noticed a private airstrip that Id never seen before, number on it was 27. Anyone know who owns it and what plane flies out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Flew into Dublin yesterday and on the approach noticed a private airstrip that Id never seen before, number on it was 27. Anyone know who owns it and what plane flies out of it?

Navan airfield if it was a grass strip?

Advertisement