Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Apparently Mr Sikorsky preferred it that way and everyone copied him. But again I'm sure there are a few different reasons. Maybe his wife preferred the left hand seat :p

The author of Chickenhawk, Robert Mason, preferred sitting on the left hand side when he was aircraft commander, as he had better visibility through the chin bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Tenger wrote: »
    What were you doing in my sisters house? Same happens in her place in Emyvale, a valley leading to Aughnacloy blocks 'Southern' networks.
    So are we related then? Actually my sis in law lives in 'Blayney. When I buzz her house I have to talk to 'Scottish' first, very annoying!

As for the reason helicopter Captains sit on the right. There is a good reason but I can't for the life of me remember what it is! Something to do with visibility in the event of an emergency or when the heli is hoisting something. But I suspect there is no definitive answer. It probably just happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Is the helicopter thing not something to with the rotation of the rotor blades creating more lift on one side of the aircraft and the pilot being on the right to create a balancing effect or something along those lines.

CP, that's as good a reason as any of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Do you practice gear up landings in the sim? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

pclancy wrote: »
    Do you practice gear up landings in the sim? :)

My girlfriend just asked me the exact same thing. I've never seen one being done in the sim. I think the software in some sims would just register that you have crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

When I flew the Boeing 727 we did a Left or Right Main Gear up Landing in the Sim. Did it only once TFk in the 5 years I flew that thing.
    Having never done one I dont know how realistic it was but the scraping sound was there!!!
    Not seen it on 757 or 767 sim. And not going to ask either, the less I do in the sweatbox the better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

Done a main gear failure on touchdown scenario but never an "all up" scenario, at least nothing that a gravity gear drop didn't sort out.
    Fair play to the polish pilots - good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

hi all, great thread btw... question 1, is there anything different in a pilots set-up between flying over land or if you fly over water? is there more precautions if you fly say from LA to NZ than if you flew paris to moscow.. Im thinking it wouldnt be a biggie if you encountered a problem over land as you can divert to the nearest airport, different story if your in the middle of the pacific. question 2, would you say you suffer from headaches/migraines more due to your working in a pressurised place, or is there no proof of this.. I know during long haul flights my head sometimes feels like an egg in a mircowave,, maybe its just me though!!
    Finally, whats your average working week/month in hrs worked.. Is it the same for a guy/girl who flies dub-london or the guy/girl who flies longhaul .
    oh,oh,oh.. one more, if you fly to australia/NZ, why is it cheaper to travel via asia rather than the US ,because its more or less the same distance,isnt it.

thanks...

hawkelady wrote: »
    1, is there anything different in a pilots set-up between flying over land or if you fly over water?
    2, would you say you suffer from headaches/migraines more due to your working in a pressurised place, or is there no proof of this.
    Finally, whats your average working week/month in hrs worked.

Over land you have to think about what is the lowest altitude you can descend to in an emergency. E.g Over central France you can descend to 3,000ft but over the alps 18,000. Like you said over land you have an airport near you. I've never flown trans-atlantic but going down to Tenerife there's still few airports you can divert to.

I don't suffer from headaches but pilots and cabin crew do tend to have a slightly higher sick rate because of close contact with people.

I fly roughly 60-80hours per month. But duty hours are around 140hrs. That's short haul. Long haul fly more but their duty hours are lower because they're not on the ground as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Naughty Paddy. Leave the thread alone if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Weissbier

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    I don't suffer from headaches but pilots and cabin crew do tend to have a slightly higher sick rate because of close contact with people.

Wow. Omg. I have never heard such a load of crap in all my life. 2 of the easiest jobs there is out there with the highest sick rate known to man!!!! Shows how much the job is enjoyed.

Mods, seriously, CLOSE this bulls**t and self trumpet blowing thread. ZZZzzz

Madpaddy79 wrote: »

Just to clarify a few things for the ill-informed. Pilots and cabin crew work in low pressure environments with potentially contaminated air of differing concentrations (varying from pathogens and fuel gases from the engine). There also have even been studies done to examine long term effects on crews who work at such altitudes while being exposed to the greater effects of solar radiation.

The cabin air is recycled upto 6 times (if memory serves me right) and this air comes through the engine. An example of the possible risks was a few years ago when Aer Lingus had to contact the full passenger list when a case of TB was later discovered from a passenger, so I imagine the common cold which can take us all out so easily down here on the ground and when it is possibly being recycled upto 6 times in a tin can will make your chances of catching it much easier.

Also on the matter of headaches, this lower cabin pressure (ie. less oxygen) and dry environment is known to cause a higher rate of headache and jet lag. This is the one of the main selling points of the new Boeing 787 which can operate at lower cabin pressure with a slightly 'wetter' environment due to the plane being mainly made from composite and not metal (less corrosion). Boeing claim this lower rate of headache on the 787 is upto 40%, not that I fully believe that number (possible propaganda), but I do believe the science behind improving the conditions to reduce this headache rate!

This information comes only from common sence and knowledge but I'm sure if you googled this matter you could get some more information to further educate yourself on this matter.

Weissbier wrote: »
    Sensible stuff

Thanks, you put it better than I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Best and worst ATC?

Or any funny stories heard over the radios?

The best I can give is an eastern european student here in Ireland making a request to ATC, the controller couldn't understand him and exasperated said "echo india...that was complete garble!"

To which the student replied (in finest eastern european accent, "complete garble, echo india..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

While doing RT training we met a fellow who caused quite a giggle!

This chap was taxiing to the runway and was told to "give way" (to another training air craft taxiing from the runway). He then proceeded to ingnore that instruction and vigorously wave at the other taxiing aircraft who happened to be the CFI returning from a PPL test!

Not a good image as he was soon to be tested with the same examiner for his PPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Another question prompted from watching comings and goings on the ramp this morning. Do you actually watch the guys marshalling you on stand with their orange wands or do you just follow the line and park her where you do normally(or where the aircraft type is painted).

I imagine EI pilots for example would practically be able to park their A320's in their sleep at DUB due to familiarity with Pier E. I'd imagine though that there are times that call for a slight change of parking position,gusty conditions for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why are jet engines mounted to the fore of the wing?

I'm guessing it's a safety feature in case the engine disintegrates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i'd guess to take advantage of the 'cleaner' air. less wake turbulence at the front of the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

If they were under the wing the landing gear would be too long to put away.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Another question prompted from watching comings and goings on the ramp this morning. Do you actually watch the guys marshalling you on stand with their orange wands or do you just follow the line and park her where you do normally(or where the aircraft type is painted).

Mostly people use them. It's safer and we can't see the line as we get near the end so why not use them.

I say mostly because we were taxing into a stand the other day (for steps not airbridge) and the plane ran out of energy before we had reached the stop line. Knowing that there was a slope we just set the parking brake and shut down the engine instead of adding loads of power. The marshaller was waving the wands like mad. But the funny thing was even when the engines had stopped rotating he was still waving them. We looked later and were less than a foot from the stop line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

lord lucan

A lot of airports we fly in to have "self manoeuvring" stands where we have to taxi straight-in on to stand then turn about 45° and stop. This is under marshaller guidance.
    The 45° turn is usually very close to other aircraft, stairs, vehicles and lampposts so you want to make sure the marshaller is keeping an eye out.

Their professionalism however differs greatly from country to country.
    Only last night when carrying out such a manoeuver the marshaller decides to turn away from us to chat to his friend behind him. If we followed his directions we would have hit our wing off the blast fence.
    Be vigilant! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bigtalker

Hi All!

I think this is a great thread!! I fly every week with work and find I go through phases of being petrified and not caring at all. This coincides with Winter and Summer months!! and weather etc. I reacently flew into Nairobi on honeymoon and was in horrific turbulence. I also flew on a smaller plane to go safari(10 seater) and it was not pleasant. I am trying to understand:

1) Can turbulence be fatal? Assuming a pilot can see that its up ahead and has previous reports from other planes why would a pilot ever fly into it? What is the treshold? I am stupid and watch air crahs investigation and cant understand why a pilot would fly into these conditions.

2) Air Pockets - I dont really understand why these happen and get an awful fright when they do(as does everyone) are the pilots in control during these? Do they have sight of these? Again what are the limits? how long can you free fall??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nabanoba

Hello all,

I am an aspiring pilot and would like to thank everyone on this thread for their contributions, it has been a very interesting read.

I have a couple of questions regarding flying schools. I have heard that NFC is the best in Ireland, but their term starts in March which is a month too early for me as I'm currently under contract out in Korea. I was wondering could anyone point me in the direction of other good flight schools both in Ireland and abroad?

Also I was wondering what would be the main characteristics that the schools will be looking for when interviewing wannabe pilots?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nabanoba, wrong thread for questions like that. There are other learning to fly threads here. Check them out. But there is not 'term' as you put it. You can start learning to fly anytime at your own pace. I presume you're referring to their integrated course. Which does have a start date. But there's always another starting later in the year. As for the best school, well talk to NFC and they'll tell you they're the best, PTC think they are and Atlantic well obviously they believe they're the best. But in truth the best schools are overseas. Famous schools are Cabair, OAA and FTE. All expensive btw.

Bigtalker, yes turbulence can be fatal. That's why when the seatbelt sign comes on, you pay attention to it. It's rare for anyone to be injured though or for aircraft to be damaged. You can't see turbulence but there are places you can expect it such as in or near cumulus clouds, the fluffy harmless looking ones and cumulonimbus, the not so harmless looking fluffy clouds. Larger aircraft have weather radar and will divert around areas of weather. But turbulence can happen even in clear air. You can't avoid that.

On the other hand with smaller aircraft flying at low level, warm air rising on hot days such as you find in Africa will cause a lot of bumps even on clear days. You don't have to go the Africa though, even here you'll get turbulence from rising warm air. It's mostly harmless if unpleasant.

There's no such thing as 'air pockets', it's just turbulence most likely caused by flying into a column of rising air. Yes the pilot is in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nabanoba

Ok, thanks xflyer. I'll move my question elsewhere.

Edit; Sorry to bother you again, but would anyone have a link to one of these learning to fly threads? i can't find any with more than 9 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'm not a pilot but
    If they were under the wing the landing gear would be too long to put away.
    thats a bad answer. Numerous planes with long landing gear.

Engines are normally mounted out front in order to have an unrestricted air supply into the engine. This also makes them easier to maintain.

You can of course mount in the wing such as Concorde, Comet or in the Tail such as TriJets.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

How long would it take from complete rookie to commercial airline pilot?, is there demand at present? what type of salary could I expect?

David
    Civil Engineer looking at a career change

Engines in fact can be mounted anywhere within reason. Sometimes in the wing, on top of the wing, VFW 614, under the wing, on the rear fuselage inside the tail. Probably underwing mounting represents the best combination of efficiency and accessibility.

The middle engine of the 727 could suffer problems with surging, caused by it's position with it's intake over the fuselage. I remember an old Club Air 727 taxying shooting flames out the back and banging like a cannon.

David4791, well on a full time course, eighteen months could find you in a position to apply to the airlines. Not become an airline pilot, merely to be qualified to apply.

As for time taken to actually become an airline pilot. That is a 'How long is a piece of string' question. It could be straight away or ten years after finishing training. Getting the first job is the tricky bit.

As for demand, well the job is well oversubscribed which means the likes of Ryanair and Aer Arann can ask eager young newly qualified pilots to hand over about thirty grand to get trained on their aircraft. Even if the airline doesn't expect you to pay upfront. They will either tie you to the airline with a bond or take it from your pay. Not only that Ryanair pilots mostly don't even work for Ryanair. They are self employed contractors. Not only that, you are charged €50 simply to apply to Ryanair.

As for salaries this website is useful:

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/operatorlist.php?reg=Europe&type=Major/National/Low%20Cost

Click on the relevant airline. It's not alway accurate and up to date but on the other hand it often is.

Dissappointing reading I would wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Thanks for advice xflyer, I might stick with the engineering then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Allways wondered why they dont put cctv on passenger planes. I am an avid watcher of Aircrash Investigation. They seem to do a lot of guess work as to what the pilots was up to etc before the crash and moments up to it. Surely the cctv recorder disk could easily slot in the Flight Data Recorder?
    Nothing fancy,just one in the cockpit
    Is it a money issue/ privacy issue? They have them on buses.

Advertisement