Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Be careful when you look at a schools "where are they now" pages. They tend to love to hang onto the successful cadets shirt tails even though the vast majority of schools have zero contacts to get you a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Does anyone know, if it had to could Baldonnell in South Dublin perform take off and landings for 737's A320 330's?

Is the runway long enough etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Does anyone know, if it had to could Baldonnell in South Dublin perform take off and landings for 737's A320 330's?

A light enough 330 could i'm sure, 757's have done before too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

A 757 has operated out of there as recently as last September. Transporting troops to UNDOF

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Growler!!! wrote: »
    A 757 has operated out of there as recently as last September. Transporting troops to UNDOF

Do many large planes fly out of there?
    There never appears to be any activity there.
    Would it ever be developed in to a busier airport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Do many large planes fly out of there?
    There never appears to be any activity there.
    Would it ever be developed in to a busier airport?

No. Charter flights are brought in to carry troops for UN missions but it's not a common sight.
    Here's the list of aircraft based in Baldonnel. Less than 30 altogether.
    No. Dublin doesn't need a second international airport at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Heres the approach and landing of that 757 to EIME:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wondering how common it is for the Captain to get a hotel suite on layovers? What about internet, laundry and food?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A 737 is going on a 4hr flight, they have the weights of the baggage etc, now say the average weight of a person flying is 12stone, what if they have 100 people weighing 20stone on the flight (off to a rugby event or something similar)

What sort of effect will this have and when will the driver know about it?

scudzilla wrote: »
    A 737 is going on a 4hr flight, they have the weights of the baggage etc, now say the average weight of a person flying is 12stone, what if they have 100 people weighing 20stone on the flight (off to a rugby event or something similar)

What sort of effect will this have and when will the driver know about it?

Won't matter as the international standard weight for a male is 88kg:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Won't matter as the international standard weight for a male is 88kg:)

While that maybe true I think a similar event took out a small commuter jet in USA in the early 90's on take off.

So you are an EU/Irish Registered Pilot flying on an Irish Registered Plane to the USA.

Which set of flight rules re cockpit visitors, regulations etc are in force both when flying to/from the USA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

amen wrote: »
    So you are an EU/Irish Registered Pilot flying on an Irish Registered Plane to the USA.

Which set of flight rules re cockpit visitors, regulations etc are in force both when flying to/from the USA ?

Ha Ha. Why you ask? None of your business tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

boeingboy wrote: »

Don't be so smart. Isn't that what this thread is about.

While that maybe true I think a similar event took out a small commuter jet in USA in the early 90's on take off.

Yes you're correct a 19 seat Beech 1900D with the incorrect baggage weights used. Not really relevant with 100 pax on a 737. Standard pax weights are explained in a companies Ops Manual part A

In regard to the rules of different jurisdictions, the simple answer is which ever is more restrictive. Again Ops part A refers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

Yes you're correct a 19 seat Beech 1900D with the incorrect baggage weights used. Not really relevant with 100 pax on a 737. Standard pax weights are explained in a companies Ops Manual part A

In regard to the rules of different jurisdictions, the simple answer is which ever is more restrictive. Again Ops part A refers.

If I'm thinking of the same flight was the standard weight not changed after this accident? The FAA did a survey and found the average person was well over the standard weight they were using(Americans!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

I've a vague recollection of a crash involving a sports team (ice hockey??) where the 'bulk' of the team caused the aircraft to be overweight. Can't remember the details, but it certainly could be significant for, say a charter operation where all the pax may be eh, 'well built'. I wonder do city jet use standard or actual weights when they're transporting Leinster for instance.

I've a vague recollection of a crash involving a sports team (ice hockey??) where the 'bulk' of the team caused the aircraft to be overweight. Can't remember the details, but it certainly could be significant for, say a charter operation where all the pax may be eh, 'well built'. I wonder do city jet use standard or actual weights when they're transporting Leinster for instance.

Was that the Yak 42 crash? I think they found the capt had his feet on the brakes so it never reached take off speed. Good old Aircrash Investigation.

It was a Beech 1900, since then the FAA has revised pax weights, airlines have a choice of accepting new weights or weighing passengers to establish average weights for specific routes, we did that for Indonesians going for Hajj, average weight was 65kgs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think the passengers' weights were underestimated in Arrow Air 1285 too. It was a charter carrying US troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

boeingboy wrote: »

The reason I ask is because this a thread called "ask an airline pilot" and I'm sure I could find out by finding the relevant faa/european agencies documents and reading them but though a pilot could help

If you are concerned about security then security through obfuscation is not security.

Why does the more restrictive apply ? what happens if rule in two licensing juristrictions are totally different ?

what about over flights ?

• Advertisement

The reason I ask is because this a thread called "ask an airline pilot" and I'm sure I could find out by finding the relevant faa/european agencies documents and reading them but though a pilot could help

If you are concerned about security then security through obfuscation is not security.

Why does the more restrictive apply ? what happens if rule in two licensing juristrictions are totally different ?

what about over flights ?

The more restrictive rule applies because it is the safest rule to follow. Another example would be - you are a German national with a German driving licence and driving a German registered car. On the autobahn you can travel at whatever speed you are comfortable with. You cross the border into France with a 120kph speed limit. What rules do you follow?

Same in aviation. You must follow the rules of the airspace you fly in, or your own national rules - whichever is more restrictive. It's up to you as PIC to know the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I remember a couple of years ago for an audit Boeing asked us to weigh the pax getting off the aircrafts in Dublin (so many flights per day, same stand) and compare it to the load sheets to see if the average weights were ok. I always remember a flight I did and the average weight on the loadsheet was 13745kg just for the pax, full flight, 189 pax, the weight added up when they all finished on the scales was 13670kg. Always stuck in my head how close it was to the loadsheet figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

billie1b wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago for an audit Boeing asked us to weigh the pax getting off the aircrafts in Dublin (so many flights per day, same stand) and compare it to the load sheets to see if the average weights were ok. I always remember a flight I did and the average weight on the loadsheet was 13745kg just for the pax, full flight, 189 pax, the weight added up when they all finished on the scales was 13670kg. Always stuck in my head how close it was to the loadsheet figure.

Wow, that's pretty reassuring alright! Gives us a few more years to pile on the pounds ;)

For airline type operations you would have to have your own national certification, then for the USA you are expected to comply with FAR129 and as the aircraft is involved in international travel, then you have to foliow ICAO Annex 2/6/8 (at least)

There are many ICAO rules that the FAA doesn't cover, so for FAA operators flying into Europe, they can find themselves getting violations for things like "no date of expiry on rating", "medical out of date".

It can get quite messy trying to work out which rules apply where, but generally the Jeppesen ATC section will give you a list of differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

When an aircraft takes flight for a distension is there ever any issues/problems with the aircraft that the captain is aware of and knows its safe to fly with these issues/problems.

Or is the plane always faultless when leaving.

robertxxx wrote: »
    When an aircraft takes flight for a distension is there ever any issues/problems with the aircraft that the captain is aware of and knows its safe to fly with these issues/problems.

Or is the plane always faultless when leaving.

Yes, there may often be small snags which are carried on a flight. For instance a tray table at a seat my not be working or broken.

There can also be times when a major system is degraded due to a loss of one of two or more components. Ie. an air conditioning pack may be inoperative but this will have restrictions associated with it such as a maximum flight level the aircraft can fly at.

We use a book called the M.E.L. Or Minimum Equipment List which tell us what can or cannot be inoperative for dispatch. Once a fault is written in the Tech Log the aircraft is grounded until an engineer works on the problem or the captain can sign off a small problem in conjunction with a call to engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I flew civvie on an A-380 a while back and was wondering if it would be possible to fly it with only one engine?

I assume yes, and if so, would there be any noticeable difference with the thrust only coming from one side of the aircraft?

Loved the A-380, ridiculously large :)

if it would be possible to fly it with only one engine?
    Depending on the weight, it will fly but at an altitude of only around 7-9000 feet and thats only possible by drifting down to that altitude rather than climbing up there.

i got to fly the A380 simulator in Toulouse, it was incredibly manoeuvrable and easy to fly, especially when compared to the B747.

Ridiculously large, but somehow i think that the wing and tail were designed for the forthcoming -900 series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Thanks smurf!

I've been in the A380 and a teeny-tiny 4 seat Cessna so I guess that's the extremes at both ends covered for now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Evening all,

Has the pleasure of flying on the DC 10 out of Birmingham last Monday on the one hour joyride special.

Took the below photo but would love to know what these openings are for...... Would I be right in that they are associated with the pressurisation system???? Only other reference I can think of from other aircraft is the A320 where @ the rear of the fuselage on taxi I sometimes see a 'Flap' open too.

[IMG][/img]rdyb.jpg

Seems like a very intricate linked system.... ,ove design pieces like this!!!!!

Thanks all.

Advertisement