Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

islanderre wrote: »
    Evening all,

Has the pleasure of flying on the DC 10 out of Birmingham last Monday on the one hour joyride special.
    Lucky fecker....I was hoping to do this with 2 mates....but it just happened in between 2 birthdays and a weekend away so I couldn't justify the trip away with the Boss.
    Wasn't it £100 or £150 for a window seat? Not a lot in relative terms but it was the getting over and back that made it awkward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Pressurisation outflow valves, primary and secondary would be my guess. Congrats on getting to fly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Tenger wrote: »
    Wasn't it £100 or £150 for a window seat? Not a lot in relative terms but it was the getting over and back that made it awkward for me.

Tenger,
    It was £100 for an aisle and £150 for a window...... none of the middle rows of seats were sold at all so it was very easy to walk about the aircraft once the cruise started.
    I flew out of DUB on the ATR-42 (the all white one EI-CPT) on the Sunday evenign; overnighted in Birmingham on the Sunday and then back to DUB via AMS on the Monday evening.
    Really enjoyed it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

islanderre wrote: »
    Tenger,
    It was £100 for an aisle and £150 for a window...... none of the middle rows of seats were sold at all so it was very easy to walk about the aircraft once the cruise started.
    I flew out of DUB on the ATR-42 (the all white one EI-CPT) on the Sunday evenign; overnighted in Birmingham on the Sunday and then back to DUB via AMS on the Monday evening.
    Really enjoyed it,

Why via Ams

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    Why via Ams

He got to fly on a Fokker. (I think that's what it was)

adam88 wrote: »
    Why via Ams

Yep..... Wanted to fly on the Fokker 70 so went Birmingham to Amsterdam and then onwards to Dub......

A bit mad but why not!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hi all, just wondering is there anything particularly special about the DC10?

I flew on one from Chicago to San Fran a few years back, did I blow my chance on storing up some aviation history?

I dont think so hidinginthebush....... for some like me getting to fly one was a chance not to be missed as when Northwest used them transatlantic; financials at the time did not permit me to fly them.
    Also; they are the last bar the 747 of the original widebodies which date from a different era especially with their 3 man cockpit crew and steam / round guages..... some say the A300 & A310 are also from this era but these Airbus' simply don't float my boat!!!!!!

Now if I could only turn the clock back to ..... Concorde........

Just my 2 cents on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Just a friendly reminder folks that this thread is for asking airline pilots questions...other general discussion should go in the main forum :)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Hi all, just wondering is there anything particularly special about the DC10?

I flew on one from Chicago to San Fran a few years back, did I blow my chance on storing up some aviation history?

Dc10 was a fine aircraft with a chequered history to begin, starting with a cargo door blowing off ex paris. For me the MD11 its sucessor was a cow.....tricky to land with limited tail authority.

Pal of mine did the BIMAN flight ex BHX and it was anorak heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Dc10 was a fine aircraft with a chequered history to begin, starting with a cargo door blowing off ex paris. For me the MD11 its sucessor was a cow.....tricky to land with limited tail authority.

Were you type rated on the MD-11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

de biz wrote: »

Were you type rated on the MD-11?

Nope but i know enough about the aircraft re incidents and accidents to say same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I spent a lot of time driving today and had a lot of stuff on my mind and found my concentration on the road slipping a few times.

How do pilots deal with non-work (or work) related stresses and putting stuff to the back of their mind to maintain the required concentration levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

keith16 wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time driving today and had a lot of stuff on my mind and found my concentration on the road slipping a few times.

How do pilots deal with non-work (or work) related stresses and putting stuff to the back of their mind to maintain the required concentration levels?

The prospect of being hanged in the morning concentrates the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Where is the safest spot to sit on a plane.

Looking a the tv last nght where they crashed a plane to see what happened suggeste the middle section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Depends how it crashed. The mid section was only relevant to that particular experiment. 1a, 46f or anything inbetween could be the place to be on another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

The safest spot is clearly the back of the plane. When have you ever heard of a plane reversing into a mountain?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Where is the safest spot to sit on a plane.

Looking a the tv last nght where they crashed a plane to see what happened suggeste the middle section.

A University of Greenwich study (commissioned by the Civil Aviation Authority) found that the safest place to sit is within six rows of the nearest exit - I guess this is assuming the plane is still intact when it lands. Think it was this study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've asked this before in relation to passenger jets, but for smaller propeller driven planes, is there a large difference in how to fly / control them? ie if you can fly one type, is it transferable to other small planes? There's less controls and automation (I presume?), so is it easier to hop into different types of plane?

Do any of you commercial pilots ever take a spin on a little one or two -man propeller plane just for kicks?

Do many pilots start off flying small planes, or is it a case that you did your training with a large company and they stuck you straight into Boeings and Airbuses?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

On the topic of safety, I've read about incidents where one of the flight crew was rendered unconscious due to illness.

In the event that both the flight crew rendered unconscious or there was a problem with the air supply in the cockpit, would those of us in the back ever know? Is there a fail safe for that kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

faceman wrote: »
    On the topic of safety, I've read about incidents where one of the flight crew was rendered unconscious due to illness.

In the event that both the flight crew rendered unconscious or there was a problem with the air supply in the cockpit, would those of us in the back ever know? Is there a fail safe for that kind of thing?

Cabin crew are required to check the cockpit at regular intervals to check that both crew are still alive, (and more importantly, don't need more coffee:), but take a look at Helios http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Many airlines changed their procedures after that crash, so that in the event of a depressurisation, if the cabin does not get communication from the cockpit, they are required to go to the cockpit to physically check on the crew to see if they are conscious. While the masks drop down automatically in the cabin, there is no automatic system in the cockpit, so it could happen that there is a loss of pressurisation and the cockpit crew may not be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

I was told a story the other day that got me thinking.

An aircraft is sitting at the gate being fuelled and loaded etc with pax on board. The Captain looks out and see's the guy who is operating the bowser lighting up a cig. He calls an emergency evacuation of the aircraft immediately.

I'm not sure if this really happened but interested to hear from some guys their thoughts on such an issue and if they would do something similar?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I was told a story the other day that got me thinking.

An aircraft is sitting at the gate being fuelled and loaded etc with pax on board. The Captain looks out and see's the guy who is operating the bowser lighting up a cig. He calls an emergency evacuation of the aircraft immediately.

I'm not sure if this really happened but interested to hear from some guys their thoughts on such an issue and if they would do something similar?

Thanks
    As far as I know pax are not permitted on board during fueling, hence the need to kick everyone off for an hour on refueling stops.

youknowwho wrote: »
    As far as I know pax are not permitted on board during fueling, hence the need to kick everyone off for an hour on refueling stops.
    There are SOP's in place to allow fuelling with pax on board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

But but but, I'm in the left seat looking out the left window. All the service vehicle are on the right hand side. How do I see the refueler smoking......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Some aircraft can fuel from the left wing, but tbh, unless this is a story from some remote strip in deepest darkest previously undiscovered jungle, I'd say its bull. Nobody who pumps fuel for a living would be that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

youknowwho wrote: »

I don't think this is right. Maybe things have changed but I have definitely been on aircraft while refuelling was happening. I know this because we were asked to undo our seatbelts for the duration (in case a quick exit is needed?:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Jimmy444 wrote: »
    I don't think this is right. Maybe things have changed but I have definitely been on aircraft while refuelling was happening. I know this because we were asked to undo our seatbelts for the duration (in case a quick exit is needed?:eek:)

This is correct! You may refuel with pax onboard but they must be made aware refueling is taking place and to leave seat belts off for the duration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

All airline dependent but there will be further procedures in place to safeguard pax and crew whilst fuelling. Things like boarding in small groups, ccm's manning emerency exits, avoiding having catering or other vehicles attached to doors, cockpit crew in contact with someone on a headset so that fuelling can be stopped for any reason etc etc. Also since wide cut fuels have largely been abandoned in the civilised airline world the risk of a fire is significantly reduced.

Advertisement