Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Might explain a few things.
    http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/186

Thanks so much for that, finally getting a grasp on it now :P - From the first image in my last post for CAT areas it shows for point 6 a CB area of moderate turbulence with 400/270, would the later be the base and 400 be the top of the weather system as in there's an area of moderate turbulence between FL270 and FL400?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

13973499194_c3c63fcedb_b.jpg

This is what we used yesterday, the first thing to do is check the date and time and the appropriate levels. Then have a look at your route and see what lies ahead of you.

You can see a number of ISOL EMBD CB 300/XXX, basically means isolated CBs embedded in other clouds with a max height of FL300 but the XXX isn't actually the lower level, it means that they are lower than the lowest level that the chart was based upon.

Around Italy you can see a Jetstream with black triangles and lines, each triangle is 50 kts. and each line 10, so you have a 130 jet stream. that area is surrounded by dashed lines and the number 4 is associated with that area, looking to the reference box, you can see area 4 has turbulence from 280-460.

If you look closely you can see individual letters, like Z, P, S.... these are actually city names, Zurich, Paris and Stockholm etc.

What else can you see?

This is what we used yesterday, the first thing to do is check the date and time and the appropriate levels. Then have a look at your route and see what lies ahead of you.

You can see a number of ISOL EMBD CB 300/XXX, basically means isolated CBs embedded in other clouds with a max height of FL300 but the XXX isn't actually the lower level, it means that they are lower than the lowest level that the chart was based upon.

Around Italy you can see a Jetstream with black triangles and lines, each triangle is 50 kts. and each line 10, so you have a 130 jet stream. that area is surrounded by dashed lines and the number 4 is associated with that area, looking to the reference box, you can see area 4 has turbulence from 280-460.

If you look closely you can see individual letters, like Z, P, S.... these are actually city names, Zurich, Paris and Stockholm etc.

Brilliant that's made that chart so much easier to read now!

Any idea what the name of that app is smurfjed? :), just hope you can confirm a few details:

[500] - There are various numbers of three figures in boxes around the chart, do these represent Tropopause levels?

Where can you determine areas of CAT? or is this made known via the detailed information using the reference numbers?

Cheers. :)

Wx Charts by company called ProgAero....

[500] or similar is the Tropopause Level, if it has a H above the value, it means HIGH, the letter L stands for LOW.

Before the edit you asked about wind strength, the levels show where the wind is greater than 80 kts. with the maximum shown by the symbols.

Read the tiny text above the box with numbers, it is labelled CAT AREAS. So this indicates where you will encounter CAT.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Wx Charts by company called ProgAero....

[500] or similar is the Tropopause Level, if it has a H above the value, it means HIGH, the letter L stands for LOW.

Before the edit you asked about wind strength, the levels show where the wind is greater than 80 kts. with the maximum shown by the symbols.

Read the tiny text above the box with numbers, it is labelled CAT AREAS. So this indicates where you will encounter CAT.

Brilliant thanks to all of ye who helped, plenty of study now to understand this fully. :)

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks to all of ye who helped, plenty of study now to understand this fully. :)

Cheers!

Just to add, the CAT areas shown are for forecast "moderate" or "moderate occasionally severe" turbulence. "Light" is not shown. It doesn't mean there will be turbulence, just conditions are indicative of turbulence.

The CB activity areas are ISOL, OCNL or FRQT. Without looking up the actual figures, that means CBs expected to cover <25%, 25-50%, or >50% of the indicated area. Or roughly something like that!

Just to add, the CAT areas shown are for forecast "moderate" or "moderate occasionally severe" turbulence. "Light" is not shown. It doesn't mean there will be turbulence, just conditions are indicative of turbulence.

The CB activity areas are ISOL, OCNL or FRQT. Without looking up the actual figures, that means CBs expected to cover <25%, 25-50%, or >50% of the indicated area. Or roughly something like that!

Cheers :)

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Cheers :)

Or maybe the chart is a whole conspiracy lead by the US, the Met Office, the mujahadeen, Disney Corp and Kermit the Frog to fool us all......

Oops, wrong thread!!

Or maybe the chart is a whole conspiracy lead by the US, the Met Office, the mujahadeen, Disney Corp and Kermit the Frog to fool us all......

Oops, wrong thread!!

Hahah, who knows maybe METARs contain a secondary meaning after all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

What else can you see.? Asks smurf.......i can see id have brown trousers doing a europe to south africa run or vica versa......big MF TZ/CB's upto FL500. Thats the first excuse id have to kick off carrying 30mins en rte extra juice re deviations. Day time fine, night time a mare

• Advertisement

What else can you see.? Asks smurf.......i can see id have brown trousers doing a europe to south africa run or vica versa......big MF TZ/CB's upto FL500. Thats the first excuse id have to kick off carrying 30mins en rte extra juice re deviations. Day time fine, night time a mare

It's not that bad. Been down through that area quite often. It's Africa, so you just manoeuvre and avoid of your own free will.
    Bay of Bengal during the monsoon transit is a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

did that once as a passenger. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I flew over that way in late September and was pretty much smooth as silk the whole way, few slight bumps and the pilot had warned of possible turbulence over Bengal before take-off..but nothing really materialised.

Any pilots here flown over that way when there's a Cyclone nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

How come when looking at Flight Radar most commercial aircraft cruise at between 34,000 and 38,000 feet yet the small private jets hit 45,000??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Service ceiling.

small private jets hit 45,000??
    Because we are super cool and can achieve a lower cabin altitude than commercial airliners :)

14063953494_f938d32ebc_n.jpg

About 4 feet physically to the left, but a million miles mentally....... :)

Now, i hope that my traveling in uniform on FR question makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Jeez they remind me of what the instructors at flight school wore. Captains of a PA28 prophesying about how much they knew about the commercial airline industry in the crew room on a wet and windy no fly day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

At least they have Velcro on the back so you can take them off ( if you wish).

Try these bad boys, sown onto my only descent bit of clothing :D. Had to get home from the wavy navy ASAP from Singapore to London then onto Shannon.

19FADB57078B41D9937E69D3FD73E884-0000371550-0003553105-00640L-44DE8B8C335A47AE8FE9CA3703A5BE2F.jpg

basill wrote: »
    Service ceiling.

I thought your answer might have had a bit more info in it. Like differences in weights or maybe power to weight ratios.

Even to explain that the commercial airliners can climb higher on a long sector once they burn off most of the trip fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Any chance of an explanation about the epaulettes for those of us with none but hoping for some someday please?

adam88 wrote: »
    I don't understand

It's an old euphemism about promotion from First Officer to Captain.

In the cockpit the move from the right seat to the left or Commanders seat is physically only a distance of a few feet. However the change in responsibility, duties and even thought process may as well be a million miles.

Lustrum wrote: »
    Any chance of an explanation about the epaulettes for those of us with none but hoping for some someday please?

In most airlines it is:

4 bars - Captain
    3 bars - First Officer
    2 bars - Second Officer

In "posh" flight schools it is:

4 bars - instructor
    3 bars - instrument rated
    2 bars - cpl
    1 bar - ppl

Or something similar to show mammy and daddy that little Johnny is not wasting all their money:D

I think Murph was showing his 4 bars cos he's recently been promoted? I could be wrong but congrats Murph it's a great achievement.

To avoid confusion, the pic of my 2 bars was from the merchant navy. Colours signify branches, green for electric/electronic and purple for mechanical engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

In most airlines it is:

4 bars - Captain
    3 bars - First Officer
    2 bars - Second Officer

adam88 was saying(I presume) he doesn't understand smurphs question about travelling on FR in relation to being promoted to captain. I also do not see the relation ?

Smurph?

robbieVan wrote: »
    adam88 was saying(I presume) he doesn't understand smurphs question about travelling on FR in relation to being promoted to captain. I also do not see the relation ?

Smurph?

I may have misunderstood Adams question, so I'll let him clarify it.

Here's the link to Murphs thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057196531 about travelling on FR in uniform.

I think Murph was showing his 4 bars cos he's recently been promoted? I could be wrong but congrats Murph it's a great achievement.

To avoid confusion, the pic of my 2 bars was from the merchant navy. Colours signify branches, green for electric/electronic and purple for mechanical engineering.

Ah, that could be it. If so, congrats on the move smurfjed - does this now mean there will be less time for pics of snazzy jets? Or more time maybe if you get your minion to do all the work!!

When you have the time, what was the process to go from the right seat to the left ie. selection, training etc, and is there any difference between the process in your company and what a "normal" (for want of a better word) airline might do in selecting and training captains?

I think that I should explain, to start with, for us, 4 stripes means that you are a captain, the star means that you are qualified on a jet aircraft rather than a piston.
    I passed my check ride yesterday and got awarded the position of Captain. I will continue to fly the same type of aircraft that I flew as a First Officer, but from the left seat, not the right one, so this is the move of about 4 feet.
    As a first officer, I was qualified to fly the aircraft, but while that means that I'm a contributing member of a team, the final decision wasn't mine, so if we had problems, I could just go sit in the cabin and play on the internet while the Captain had to coordinate the means of finding a solution.
    But now, all of those decisions are mine., but that said, so are the perks.
    I'm presently sitting in the first class cabin of a B777 in uniform as it is required to be allowed travel as an additional crew member.
    From Manchester, I'm jumping on Ryanair to Dublin where I get to surprise my parents with my new uniform and position, hence the reason that I wanted to use the uniform.
    Hope that this makes sense :)......

Just to add, that I totally covered up on Ryanair, but put all the bars, hat jacket back on in the baggage hall. The look on my fathers face was priceless :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well done, that's a big step. And I'm sure its been where you have been aiming for quite a while now.

• Advertisement

Congrats smurfjed, very well done - your folks must be very proud!

Does the move to the left seat in your company open up more of the possibility of moving types in the future should you wish, or what do you see as the next step forward for yourself?

(Obviously you will want to have some time settling in as a captain so feel free to ignore this question if it's a bit early or personal)

Advertisement