Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

smurfjed wrote: »
    They say that flying is hours and hours of pure boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer terror....... guess what... they were right :(

Do tell what happenend :) ... has it appeared on avherald yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Darwin wrote: »
    Do tell what happenend :) ... has it appeared on avherald yet?

I'm sure any half decent professional commander wouldn't put details of an incident he was involved in on an internet forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm sure any half decent professional commander wouldn't put details of an incident he was involved in on an internet forum!
    Well it could be something like a systems failure or an counter with CAT - I don't see any problem discussing these things. If a near miss or something else of that nature that is understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hi,
    I was reading somewhere that ATC is "dodgy" over the African continent, if this is true what do carries like BA or Lufthansa do en route to South Africa or any other African country ? do they rely more on their own radar or fly at FL400 to avoid most of the traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We flew Joburg-Lhr a few years ago. The pilot announced that there would be a ten minute delay in takeing off because another BA flight had just left for LHR and a 10 minute seperation was needed for safety reasons due to lack of radar coverage over the centre of Africa. Good job I'd popped a tranquliser, I woke up just as we crossed the North African coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was reading somewhere that ATC is "dodgy" over the African continent, if this is true what do carries like BA or Lufthansa do en route to South Africa or any other African country ? do they rely more on their own radar or fly at FL400 to avoid most of the traffic ?

Aircraft radar is for weather detection...while sometimes it is possible to see a return from another aircraft depicted on the radar display, it's not the intended purpose for this system.

Crews travelling through Africa will often be in procedural airspace without radar coverage so separation is time based. In addition, there are several procedures to enable crew to coordinate with other crew such as a discreet VHF frequency on which crews will make position reports so others are aware of their positions, etc. This is called the IFBP procedure. Other standard procedures airlines use in procedural airspace such as offsetting from the airway are also used. Position reports can often be made over satcom these days if HF isn't up to scratche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

fly at FL400 to avoid most of the traffic

if everyone flew at FL400 then all the traffic would be at FL400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

amen wrote: »
    if everyone flew at FL400 then all the traffic would be at FL400

My god.....we'd all be killed!

I have a question, are pilot seats more comfortable than economy class stuff?

Do you always wear your seatbelts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

keith16 wrote: »
    My god.....we'd all be killed!

I have a question, are pilot seats more comfortable than economy class stuff?

Do you always wear your seatbelts?
    Yes they are comfy and they move and can be adjusted and stuff this could depend on airlines varying sops but lap belts are worn when seated shoulder harnesses during critical phases and when you are the PF and your colleague is gone to the loo !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Would this not be better placed in the squawk as you CFIT thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I know that when flying the cockpit door is locked, what if both pilots collapse (eat the fish or whatever), is there a way for the cabin crew to get in?

I don't wanna know the ins and outs, just a yes or no (Security Conscious Scudzilla is my middle name)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

scudzilla wrote: »
    I know that when flying the cockpit door is locked, what if both pilots collapse (eat the fish or whatever), is there a way for the cabin crew to get in?

I don't wanna know the ins and outs, just a yes or no (Security Conscious Scudzilla is my middle name)

I'm not a pilot but the answer is yes, for at least some aircraft operated by some airlines in some configurations. The details probably vary quite a bit from airline to airline as well as from aircraft to aircraft so the real answer is probably "Yes" for some airline/aircraft combos, "No" for others and "Sometimes" for the rest.

If you Google around there's at least one Airbus A318/319/320/321 Flight Crew Operating Manual knocking around that describes the workings of one setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

what if both pilots collapse (eat the fish or whatever),

That problem was solved many years ago: they eat different meals, an hour apart.

At my airline cabin crew get on the radio and ask for an Airbus rated pilot to talk them through setting the auto pilot to land itself ! Cabin crew have access to the flight deck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya. I'm a very nervous flyer and usually take prescribed medication when getting on a plane. However, I'm flying on Sunday with Ryanair and am 32 weeks pregnant, so no meds.

I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on where to sit for most comfort and feeling of security. If any of you have any tips for me I'd really appreciate them.

Also if there is a pilot or cabin crew on Ryanair to malaga on Sunday morning reading this, please dont worry about the pregnant woman taking deep breaths, it's probably just me trying not to pass out, as opposed to someone in labour ;)

Whispered wrote: »
    Hiya. I'm a very nervous flyer and usually take prescribed medication when getting on a plane. However, I'm flying on Sunday with Ryanair and am 32 weeks pregnant, so no meds.

I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on where to sit for most comfort and feeling of security. If any of you have any tips for me I'd really appreciate them.

Also if there is a pilot or cabin crew on Ryanair to malaga on Sunday morning reading this, please dont worry about the pregnant woman taking deep breaths, it's probably just me trying not to pass out, as opposed to someone in labour ;)

Hello there,
    I'm very sorry to here you are so terified of flying ! But there is no reason to be and I'm sure you are aware of this!! With regards to seating I really don't think it matters in my experience passengers who are nervous and fearful are going to be nervous and fearful regardless of where they are sitting !! Because every seat is on the plane and if you are scared of planes period where you sit doesn't really matter , trying to get a certain seat( which may not be guaranteed ) can actually just be an added stress! If you still want a recommendation on a seat then I would say the front, you can watch the crew working and as they do it everyday the whole experience will be natural to them, they will be calm and emotions and feelings are contagious so you may feel calm watching calm people! Also I would recommend informing the crew when you reach your seat that you are likely to be nervous or behaving strangely with breathing or what ever it's no harm to talk to them it could be helpful if you wanted you could try and ask for a brief introduction to the pilots just to say hello and be familiar with the faces of guys working in the front office, don't be shy people do this all the time and all the crew will be very used to dealing with questions and nervous flyers !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whispered wrote: »

I'm neither pilot or cabin crew but I am a very frequent and nervous flyer. I'm actually waiting to board a flight from Dublin to San Fran as I type this.

I used to do everything to avoid nerves, alcohol, pills etc but ultimately I found none of them really made a difference. I have found two books to help nervous flyers really really good. "The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying" by Allen Carr and BA's "Flyinh With Confidence" by Captain Steve Allright and psychologist Patricia Furness-Smith. It may sound daft but they're really worth reading. (And I've read alot of books about nervous Flying!)

In terms of seating on a plane it really is personal preference. They say sit over the wing if you are nervous of turbulence as it's less pronounced here (although I don't think it makes much difference.)

It's less noisy the further forward you are in the cabin and that's usually where I sit.

Window or aisle is again personal preference. Aisle allows easy access to toilets.

My ritual involves stocking my iPad up with movies and to shows. I invested in a really good pair of noise cancelling headphones. (Bose QC3 which cost about €350). The Bose headphones are unbelievably awesome.

Other than that all you need try do is enjoy the flight. You're in safe hands, the crew are highly trained, the plane has numerous back up features and as they say, everything that happens, including turbulence,is normal. Every flight is a routine affair. Even in the worst of turbulence is routine. Not the dare devil antics like the movies and media often say.

Psychology plays a part. Even how we speak to people. "Have a safe flight" sub consciously implies that there is a risk with flying (which there is not) so I normally say to people have a great flight. Even the safety announcements imply danger could be imminent. (Carr in his book suggests switching off when they do it but I won't recommend that given the forum we are in! ;))

Best bit of advice I can give comes from Carr's book when he says "Don't try to fly the plane." Relax. Everything is normal.

Have a great trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Good advice above OP, and I'm sure you have it covered, but just in case......

You will need to have a 'fit to fly' letter - Ryanair have their own form

https://www.ryanair.com/doc/conditions/FR-FITTOFLYLETTERS.pdf

You'll need to have it signed by your doctor or midwife and dated for both legs of your journey.

Enjoy the sunshine in Malaga.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Question for those in the know. Currently flying DUB to SFO. Flight trip is 30 mins longer than normal. How's weather T/A?

We're on a path to Scotland so I assume we're taking a very northerly flight path.

Should I have taken extra pants in case turbulence geta rough? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

faceman wrote: »
    Question for those in the know. Currently flying DUB to SFO. Flight trip is 30 mins longer than normal. How's weather T/A?

We're on a path to Scotland so I assume we're taking a very northerly flight path.

Over Scotland does seem a little more northerly than usual. Usually its up to Belfast then a track towards Reykjavik.
    I was in that part of the sky last night and it was pretty smooth, nothing nasty anyway.
    If the weather holds you should get a lovely view of Greenland approx 3- 3 1/2 hours after take-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

faceman wrote: »

That track up over Belfast and on to Iceland does take you over the Western Scotish Isles, so if that's where you're going, it's not that unusual. If there are clear skys you might even get a good look at iceland as well as greenland (although it looks like cloudy up there). Anyway, had a look at the sig weather charts - nothing untoward for the rest of the day, so should be plane sailing:D. If you're near a window on the left side, you should get a good view of the golden gate and the bay on the approach.

Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks. I know logically speaking I will be fine. Thousands of flights every day etc but as it gets closer to the flight time I tend to feel myself get more and more tense. The last time I flew without xanax I cried upon landing safely at home. It's stupid.

I have got my fit to fly form prof. plum, thank you for the reminder. The only stipulation my doc made was to get flight socks. Otherwise nothing to worry about. Thankfully.

Very good idea about sitting close to the front to see the cabin crew at work. I will try for this and an aisle seat is also a god idea. Thank you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Tenger wrote: »
    Over Scotland does seem a little more northerly than usual. Usually its up to Belfast then a track towards Reykjavik.
    I was in that part of the sky last night and it was pretty smooth, nothing nasty anyway.
    If the weather holds you should get a lovely view of Greenland approx 3- 3 1/2 hours after take-off.

I seen ice bergs off labrador in June it was really weird. Greenland isn't actually that far away I timed a flight and it took 2 hours to get from overhead to the east coast.. so not that far.
    I've yet to fly to the west coast so I haven't had the opportunity to go over Greenland yet.

BTW that plane flies over my house pretty much everyday..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

Freight hold access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

owenc wrote: »

Any door on the right hand side is usually a service door. It gives access to caterers, ground handlers and other ground staff and does not interfere with the boarding of passengers.

They are also used as emergancy exits if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an option for a forward cargo hold on the Q400 from memory.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Any door on the right hand side is usually a service door. It gives access to caterers, ground handlers and other ground staff and does not interfere with the boarding of passengers.

They are also used as emergancy exits if required.

That seems pointless on such a small plane. They already have a door right beside that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

That seems pointless on such a small plane
    Thats what you think, but did you consider that this aircraft also has a COMBI version and the secondary door might be needed for certification?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Growler!!! wrote: »
    ......They are also used as emergancy exits if required.
    owenc wrote: »
    That seems pointless on such a small plane. They already have a door right beside that one.

If you are ever in a situation where you really need to leave an aircraft in a hurry you can never have too many exits!!!

Advertisement