Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Tenger wrote: »
    If you are ever in a situation where you really need to leave an aircraft in a hurry you can never have too many exits!!!

Any of ye ever had to call, or been in, an emergency evacuation situation

Edit: just thought that question through, it's not very likely is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Any of ye ever had to call, or been in, an emergency evacuation situation
    Actually I've been involved in a couple :)

Whenever we have introduced a new aircraft type into service, we have to demonstrate passenger evacuations for certification purposes. Even under controlled conditions, people have ended up with broken bones after coming down the slides.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

smurfjed wrote: »
    Actually I've been involved in a couple :)

Whenever we have introduced a new aircraft type into service, we have to demonstrate passenger evacuations for certification purposes. Even under controlled conditions, people have ended up with broken bones after coming down the slides.

Saw a version of that on a documentary about the 380 on Discovery. It looked freakin mental, and given that everyone knew what they were there for, I can only imagine what a real evacuation would be like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

What is the silver square on the front of the a320 below the cockpit?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Which side, left or right, inside or outside. Position in relation to something else e.g. Outside, left-hand, aft of window?

• Advertisement

static_port_plane_img_3652.jpg

OwenC, have you ever seen the website www.smartcockpit.com

You might find it interesting as you will be able to research these questions for yourself.

Ok thank you

How do transatlantic flight attendants do jetlag?

Do they do a middle timezone? They can't goto sleep in their time or uk time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

owenc wrote: »

Easiest way to get over it on a short trip is to try to remain on "home" time as much as possible. Your watch says its early but your body is telling you to sleep. Close the hotel blackout blinds and off for zzzzzz's.

Longer trips its best to get used to "local" time as quickly as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

OwenC, have you ever seen the website www.smartcockit.com

You might find it interesting as you will be able to research these questions for yourself.

www.smartcockpit.com

try to remain on "home" time as much as possible
    Walking the streets of New York at 4am is always fun, its one of the benefits of jet lag, watching an awesome city wake up :)
    For me, going eastbound always messes me up more than westbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Thank God we use Irish time and not UK time.

PapaQuebec wrote: »

A no. Don't be rude. :mad::mad:

This forum is for people to learn. Sometimes people make it seem like we are being a pain by asking questions.
    If you don't want to see my posts then maybe you should put me on ignore or leave.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Easiest way to get over it on a short trip is to try to remain on "home" time as much as possible. Your watch says its early but your body is telling you to sleep. Close the hotel blackout blinds and off for zzzzzz's.

Its just every time I come home from America they are walking up and down the isle the whole time and then when you are getting off the plane they don't even look tired.

Its like they must sleep in the day or something.

Walking the streets of New York at 4am is always fun, its one of the benefits of jet lag, watching an awesome city wake up :)
    For me, going eastbound always messes me up more than westbound.

Oh it kills me I can never sleep on the plane. I am going again this summer and I am already regretting the flight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Growler!!! wrote: »

That would be the ideal solution alright, but not usually possible unfortunately. Take for example westbound flights out of Europe. Most are daytime UTC flights. The return eastbound flight is usually throught the (UTC) night.
    There's no easy solution, everyone has their own way to try and cope with it.

A no. Don't be rude. :mad::mad:

This forum is for people to learn. Sometimes people make it seem like we are being a pain by asking questions.
    If you don't want to see my posts then maybe you should put me on ignore or leave.

My post wasn't in reply to you, nor was it aimed at you.

The post was simply to correct the miss-spelled link in Smurfjed's earlier post - nothing more, and you suggest I leave the thread?

I think you are suffering from thin-skin syndrome!

Thanks for the correction PapaQuebec, looking back to the misspelt link that I posted, I dread to think where it would have lead people :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the correction PapaQuebec, looking back to the misspelt link that I posted, I dread to think where it would have lead people :)

:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Got some good advice here before leaving for Spain last Sunday and I got through the flight much better than expected! Take off and landing was tough but otherwise I am happy with how it went.

However we are flying home tomorrow. I'm reading reports of tornadoes. Eeeek!!

Whispered wrote: »
    Got some good advice here before leaving for Spain last Sunday and I got through the flight much better than expected! Take off and landing was tough but otherwise I am happy with how it went.

Clear blue skies here in Dublin, a little breezy but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Whispered wrote: »

That's in America and Bermuda, the remains of it will not hit here until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

TAF: EIDW 181100Z 1812/1912 19020G32KT 9999 SCT018 TEMPO 1812/1816 20024G37KT 5000 SHRA SCT018CB TEMPO 1816/1819 SCT018CB BECMG 1901/1904 22022G33KT TEMPO 1904/1912 5000 SHRA SCT018CB TEMPO 1908/1911 23025G38KT

Be a bit breezy tomorrow alright!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Its just every time I come home from America they are walking up and down the isle the whole time and then when you are getting off the plane they don't even look tired.

Its like they must sleep in the day or something.
    Well they do sleep in the day. Same as any shift worker after a night shift. You can be sure that when you land into BFS the crew will be in bed an asleep 90-120 minutes after they say "goodbye" to you.

Be a bit breezy tomorrow alright!

That'l be the remnants of the storm from Bermuda heading our way

It wasn't bad.

Anyway I was up last night and I heard this loud vibrating noise. It was similar to the landing gear except it wasn't and it wasn't the flaps.. It made the plane vibrate for ages.

This was an easyjet a319?? What could it have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

It wasn't bad.

Anyway I was up last night and I heard this loud vibrating noise. It was similar to the landing gear except it wasn't and it wasn't the flaps.. It made the plane vibrate for ages.

This was an easyjet a319?? What could it have been?
    Spoilers?

This noise was midflight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I think you can use spoilers during flight in turbulent weather to help reduce the roll effect of the aircraft.

Advertisement