Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

owenc wrote: »
    It wasn't bad.

Anyway I was up last night and I heard this loud vibrating noise. It was similar to the landing gear except it wasn't and it wasn't the flaps.. It made the plane vibrate for ages.

This was an easyjet a319?? What could it have been?
    Speed brakes it sounds like the gear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ok maybe it was the spoilers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

IF you ever wonder why you are told to keep you seatbelt fastened at all times.... Have a look at this...

http://avherald.com/h?article=47c01b85&opt=1280

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

smurfjed wrote: »
    IF you ever wonder why you are told to keep you seatbelt fastened at all times.... Have a look at this...

Or this one:
    http://avherald.com/h?article=462eaf1c

Same airline, same type too!

Thats it, I'm staying away from the A380 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Thats it, I'm staying away from the A380 !

My wife told me when the A380 first came out 'I dont think i'll get on one of them', then when the wing crack stories came to light, it was 'i'm never flying on one of them', then it was the uncontained engine failure, this was met with 'I'm definitely never, ever getting on one of them', showed her the pictures yesterday of that turbulence incident with the blood in the galley, she was like 'hell fûcking no!', I found her reaction funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I always keep my seatbelt loosely fastened. Just like my morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

http://youtu.be/3XvJMk5CGds

Another reason to keep your seat belt on till the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the fasten seatbelt sign has been turned off......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Growler!!! wrote: »

http://youtu.be/3XvJMk5CGds

Another reason to keep your seat belt on till the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the fasten seatbelt sign has been turned off......

Jesus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

billie1b wrote: »
    My wife told me when the A380 first came out 'I dont think i'll get on one of them', then when the wing crack stories came to light, it was 'i'm never flying on one of them', then it was the uncontained engine failure, this was met with 'I'm definitely never, ever getting on one of them', showed her the pictures yesterday of that turbulence incident with the blood in the galley, she was like 'hell fûcking no!', I found her reaction funny.

Your wife is one Ker-razzzzzzzzzzzzy lady!!!!!! :(:(

• Advertisement

Your wife is one Ker-razzzzzzzzzzzzy lady!!!!!! :(:(

Tell me about it! Funny thing is, she's was cabin crew for years and is now a 'Safety and Emergency Procedure Instructor' (SEPI) a few years, so she's well used to flying but just hates the A380 for some reason.

'Safety and Emergency Procedure Instructor' (SEPI)
    But is getting more interesting :):) I assume that she hasn't flown on one, but has she toured around the aircraft ? What is her concern based on?

But is getting more interesting :):) I assume that she hasn't flown on one, but has she toured around the aircraft ? What is her concern based on?

I think her main concern is the wing cracks, she has never flown but toured on one yes. I wanted to book a trip from the states home on the BA from LAX but she was totally against the idea, we are now coming home through JFK on a 744

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I can understand the initial concern, but the wing cracks have been sorted by now. Does she have the same fear of the B787 due to the possibility of thermal runaway in its Li-On batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I can understand the initial concern, but the Li-On batteries have been sorted by now. :)

Unfortunately, concerns aren't always rational.

Tenger wrote: »
    I can understand the initial concern, but the wing cracks have been sorted by now. Does she have the same fear of the B787 due to the possibility of thermal runaway in its Li-On batteries?

She just told me to tell you she has no problems with the 787 and would trust it more than the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I can understand the initial concern, but the Li-On batteries have been sorted by now.

Actually that's incorrect. Lithium batteries by their design are inherently at risk of thermal runaway. Boeing designed a box to contain the aircraft batteries and provide a degree of protection from fire. Airbus interestingly enough kept very quiet about their A350 electrical designs and no doubt have sent their engineers back to the drawing board so as to avoid a repeat of the Dreamliner PR fiasco.

There are numerous recent examples of lithium battery fires and videos showing them in action and how difficult it is to fight the ensuing fire. Problem is that they are in just about every device imaginable that there is little chance of removing them from an aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

billie1b wrote: »
    She just told me to tell you she has no problems with the 787 and would trust it more than the A380.

One has been grounded by the FAA and its the other one she has problems with. I'll never understand women :pac:

MYOB wrote: »
    One has been grounded by the FAA and its the other one she has problems with. I'll never understand women :pac:

You and me both

OzCam wrote: »
    ..... but the Li-On batteries have been sorted by now.....
    Have they? I wonder why the containment box hasn't been removed from the B787 then.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

basill wrote: »
    Airbus interestingly enough kept very quiet about their A350 electrical designs and no doubt have sent their engineers back to the drawing board so as to avoid a repeat of the Dreamliner PR fiasco.

when Boeing troubles started, Airbus went back to Nickel-Cadmium batteries, but just recently (a month ago I believe) they announced that they're happy putting Lithium batteries back in. What ever Airbus did, they must have full confidence in it. Either way, they have both types certified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

basill wrote: »
    Boeing designed a box to contain the aircraft batteries and provide a degree of protection from fire.

Actually, that's what I meant. I know it's technically "contained" rather than "solved", but Lithium batteries - for all their advantages - have a dark side. That's just the way they are. It's the price you pay for the weight reduction.

We all just have to trust the engineering and oversight. There isn't really any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yesterday (sunday 26th Oct) I was at BCN Airport and saw a Ryanair flight from London abort a landing, he came in way to high in calm clear weather and pulled up and retracted his landing gear, no mention of it in Aviation Herald - he landed safely about 10 mins later (I'm pretty sure it was the same flight and not another Ryanair one :D)

Just curious is this normal ? it was the only aborted landing I've seen in such conditions and others there were slagging of Ryanair saying the pilots are too junior - which I thought was a bit harsh ... they have a 100% safety record after all.

no mention of it in Aviation Herald
    If AvHerald recorded every go-around, it would be the worlds most boring website.
    they have a 100% safety record after all.
    One of the reasons that they have such a good safety record is because the crew are not afraid to go-around if they feel that they are not within the correct landing parameters.

Where are the Ryanair flight attendants from at STD? There doesn't seem to be many English ones.

Is it cheaper to recruit mainland europeans? Or do they just circulate around Europe?

STD
    When did Ryanair start flying to Mayor Buenaventura Vivas International Airport (STD) in Venezuela ?

I'm not surprised that you didn't see too many English flight attendants there!

Where are the Ryanair flight attendants from at STD? There doesn't seem to be many English ones.

Is it cheaper to recruit mainland europeans? Or do they just circulate around Europe?
    Its cheaper to recruit anyone just out of school who is willing to work anywhere else in Europe for 2-3 years before leaving for pastures new.

FR recruit Europe wide, their crew can be stationed at any of their 50+ (?) bases. All applicants must speak English, as this is the operational language.

Oh ok Its just I noticed a lot of eastern europeans compared with Easyjet who just recruited local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Oh ok Its just I noticed a lot of eastern europeans compared with Easyjet who just recruited local people.

eh... here we go again with the ability to determine people's nationality by looking at them. I believe both - Ryanair and Easyjet hire whoever they find suitable for the role, as a very frequent flyer, I have not seen any trends or patterns in either cabin crew looks that would suggest me that any type of people are favoured or other - discriminated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

martinsvi wrote: »
    eh... here we go again with the ability to determine people's nationality by looking at them. I believe both - Ryanair and Easyjet hire whoever they find suitable for the role, as a very frequent flyer, I have not seen any trends or patterns in either cabin crew looks that would suggest me that any type of people are favoured or other - discriminated

In fairness he is right and its simply because as has been mentioned easyJet like every other airline hire for specific bases so the tend to get more locals ! Ryanair don't do this they hire all the time all over Europe and send the new hires anywhere so you could do your interview in Ireland and end up based in Spain !

Advertisement