Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

May be ever so slightly off topic but...

Anyone here remember all the way back to the day they done their first solo?

Had a chance to do mine over the weekend, and it was the best experience so far in flying. Hopefully sometime in the near future I will be qualified enough to answer in this thread. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Well done, its a day that you will never forget....

Mine was in Weston with the legendary KOC in the days when he operated from the Blue Max squadron room......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Well done.

N498CR Cessna 172 out of KISM. Coming up on 10 years ago in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

b757 wrote: »
    Anyone here remember all the way back to the day they done their first solo?

Had a chance to do mine over the weekend, and it was the best experience so far in flying. Hopefully sometime in the near future I will be qualified enough to answer in this thread. :P

yeap, did mine couple of weeks ago, most relaxing and enjoyable flying I ever had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

ronan45 wrote: »
    Allways wondered why they dont put cctv on passenger planes. I am an avid watcher of Aircrash Investigation. They seem to do a lot of guess work as to what the pilots was up to etc before the crash and moments up to it. Surely the cctv recorder disk could easily slot in the Flight Data Recorder?
    Nothing fancy,just one in the cockpit
    Is it a money issue/ privacy issue? They have them on buses.

So if there was just scilence from the cockpit will we ever know what happened...maybe CCTV would have been handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

It's both. Wait for the report and then we can debate the issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ronan45 wrote: »
    Allways wondered why they dont put cctv on passenger planes. I am an avid watcher of Aircrash Investigation. They seem to do a lot of guess work as to what the pilots was up to etc before the crash and moments up to it. Surely the cctv recorder disk could easily slot in the Flight Data Recorder?
    Nothing fancy,just one in the cockpit
    Is it a money issue/ privacy issue? They have them on buses.

Data capacity. Buses DVRs are not built to withstand extreme heat, impact, water permeation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

If you were to get a cadetship in the air corps how trained would you be in relation to a commercial piloting. Would you only have a type rating left to do or is it the wrong path to take? Thanks, protog777

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

L1011 wrote: »
    Data capacity. Buses DVRs are not built to withstand extreme heat, impact, water permeation etc.

Flash memory is used for the FDR and CVR. No reason why they couldn't also use it for Video.

I'd imagine resistance from pilots unions would be a factor in it not happening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

*puts on nervous flyer hat again*

I'm flying in an Embraer 190 for the first time in May for a flight from Boston to Detroit with JetBlue. I hear they handle turbulence very poorly. As the plane is so small, will it make any difference where I sit to maximise comfort? (e.g. Overwing) Should I bring a change of pants just in case? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

faceman wrote: »
    *puts on nervous flyer hat again*

I'm flying in an Embraer 190 for the first time in May for a flight from Boston to Detroit with JetBlue. I hear they handle turbulence very poorly. As the plane is so small, will it make any difference where I sit to maximise comfort? (e.g. Overwing) Should I bring a change of pants just in case? :o

they're not that small, E190 is only some 3-4 meters shorter than A320, but longer than A319

Over-wing seats will be the best whereas I would avoid tail end of the plane completely

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

About the sterile cockpit rule, which from what I read applies from when the plane leaves the gate until it reaches a predetermined altitude:

What's the interpretation of the sterile cockpit where say a plane is held in the queue on the ground for an hour? (i.e. queue is not moving, 3-4 planes ahead, engines on, cabin safety demo done etc.)

I had the pleasure of flying on a delivery flight from Brazil, 5x 4 hour sectors, the aircraft certainly didn't appear to be uncomfortable in turbulence.

Try sitting over the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

protog777 wrote: »
    If you were to get a cadetship in the air corps how trained would you be in relation to a commercial piloting. Would you only have a type rating left to do or is it the wrong path to take? Thanks, protog777

Please do not waste your time and that of others by applying for an Air Corps cadetship with your sole ambition being focused on becoming an airline pilot.

Many Air Corps pilots have and continue to join the ranks of commercial airlines. However, I would argue that practically zero of those initially joined, solely with a view to going commercial a minimum of twelve years post commissioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CalmSummer

Chat, sparingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

If only there was a thread to ask airline pilots questions like this!

If only there was a thread to ask airline pilots questions like this!
    What a great idea, they should really open one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

That's an airbus. It's a trim wheel, but on the airbus it doesn't spin like the 737. It actually has a very small range of movement. It's used to set the 'trim' - the angle of the horizontal stabiliser for flight - depending on the loading of the aircraft. And unless the **** has well and truly hit the fan, you don't touch it again. The trim is automatic except for in very degraded situations.

They certainly do "spin" on an Airbus, we set the THS position after engine start when the hydraulic systems are powered, in flight they move just that in normal law the pilots don't move them. In direct law (ie. after a serious/multiple failures) the PF would move them him/herself depending on how stable/configured the aircraft is when it enters direct law (on the A320 usually the transition from Alternate to direct law is when the gear is lowered. The aircraft would usually be configured to Config 3 and stable at landing speed before lowering gear thus reducing the amount of trim change needed by the pilot him/herself)

Think Aer Lingus have carbon brakes while Ryanair only steel which doesn't aid brake cooling as much.

Can't speak for EI but on the A320/1 I fly we have brake fans which rapidly cool the brakes so we can get away with idle reverse on every landing and still have cool brakes for the next departure.

The fans help massively on a long taxi out for departure when the brakes can easily be over 100'C in 10mins taxiing around.

Turnaround time is usually longer for EI than FR also so EI probably will have naturally cooler brakes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

As the plane is so small, will it make any difference where I sit to maximise comfort?

Over the wing is best.

But the plane size does not necessarily mean a more bumpy flight. Its all down to wing loading. In general a lower wing loading should cause the passengers to feel the turbulence more. Of course many planes have anti-roll devices(or methods) which can improve turbulence handling

The wing loading also impacts take/off speed, turning radius etc.

Interesting report on http://avherald.com/h?article=4603ef59/0002&opt=0 where the plane did not stall at the stall speed due to a slight lower wing loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

APM wrote: »
    They certainly do "spin" on an Airbus, we set the THS position after engine start when the hydraulic systems are powered, in flight they move just that in normal law the pilots don't move them. In direct law (ie. after a serious/multiple failures) the PF would move them him/herself depending on how stable/configured the aircraft is when it enters direct law (on the A320 usually the transition from Alternate to direct law is when the gear is lowered. The aircraft would usually be configured to Config 3 and stable at landing speed before lowering gear thus reducing the amount of trim change needed by the pilot him/herself)

They do move, but they certainly don't 'spin'! Have you seen a 737 trim wheel in action? That's spinning. As someone said earlier, it would take the hand / knee off you.

They do move, but they certainly don't 'spin'! Have you seen a 737 trim wheel in action? That's spinning. As someone said earlier, it would take the hand / knee off you.

Yes, I have nearly 4000hrs flying the 73NG. Agree its a terrible design feature which could've been easily removed from Boeings after the 727 or at the latest the 732. I'd hope they are removed for the 737 max.

The point I was making is the Airbus trim wheels do move continuously in flight and do not stay fixed throughout the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

APM wrote: »
    The point I was making is the Airbus trim wheels do move continuously in flight and do not stay fixed throughout the flight

Depends which Airbus, the newer Airbus have done away with the trim wheel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    Depends which Airbus, the newer Airbus have done away with the trim wheel.
    Are you referring to newer aircraft designs (ie A350, A380) or just newer builds of older models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Tenger wrote: »
    Are you referring to newer aircraft designs (ie A350, A380) or just newer builds of older models?

To the A350 and A380.

17002216825_449c438405_o.jpg

This translates into ZERO visibility, so it will be a fun night for some :( Worse thing about sand storms is that they are never forecast correctly, so you can happily depart on a 1 hour flight and arrive to find zero visibility.

This is also linked in the video thread, but it really shows how pilots earn their salaries :):)

Apologies to Mod for cross posting :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

That chinook party piece at the end is amazing. Also, insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Whats the mental state of a Pilot when performing a go-around/touch and go?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

smurfjed wrote: »

This is also linked in the video thread, but it really shows how pilots earn their salaries :):)

Apologies to Mod for cross posting :):)

3:54 aircraft right main landing light bulb blown:P:eek:

Advertisement